Possum in the roof..

So I ust read an email from my PM in Frankston, and there is a POSSUM inside the roof cavity. Tenants complained of scratching noises, PM got a pest guy in who confirms there is indeed a possum in the roof, quoted $290 to remove it.

Is this my responsibility, or would this really class as upkeep for the tenants to take care of?

So I ust read an email from my PM in Frankston, and there is a POSSUM inside the roof cavity. Tenants complained of scratching noises, PM got a pest guy in who confirms there is indeed a possum in the roof, quoted $290 to remove it.

Is this my responsibility, or would this really class as upkeep for the tenants to take care of?

Your responsibility.

Make sure the pest firm also seal the entrance(s) and offer some type of warranty (usually around six months). Advise your PM of those conditions/criteria before proceeding to rectify.

Even if it weren't your responsibility, would you really, really want a tenant solution? Shotgun, pickaxe in walls, unknown poisons scattered around - most likely culminating in a corpse left rotting in some inaccessible crevice?

A professional, clean and humane solution seems far preferable :)

Yeah guys you are correct usually it's the landlords responsibility.
When we repair a roof we always inspect inside and out checking for any other damage which could cause you problems down the track and let the owner know if we find anything. Plus there is a 12 month guarantee that comes with that.

Hi All, I have been quoted $580 to remove a possum family from my IP roof in North Ipswich. The quote comments state "this is a job at height - being difficult. There is a possum family in this roofspace".

Does $580 sound a bit steep? Is anyone able to recommend a company in the area?

Hi All, I have been quoted $580 to remove a possum family from my IP roof in North Ipswich. The quote comments state "this is a job at height - being difficult. There is a possum family in this roofspace".

Does $580 sound a bit steep? Is anyone able to recommend a company in the area?
May also pay to see where they are getting in ,the price may be for wire to stop the entry,because unless you stop the entry they will just come back under the gutters roof sheets,up through the wall,we have them here but if you put boxes outside up high they will move into those boxes if you leave food water inside the boxes..

Hi, I had to pay $800 in 2000 so your quotes are cheap.

They come back too, the possums.

Don't know what the tenants did but we found a dead possum lying across the gutter, luckily the lower gutter. The manager used the hose on it & it didn't move so we left a note for the tenants to remove it. That was an inspection the manager took me through on my annual visit!

The possum was part of a family.

The problem was solved when the next tenant had 2 large dogs. The dogs just waited hopefully at the ground when the possums were on the roof or in the trees [I had a lot of gum trees]

End of story. No more possum problem.

KY

that is true, possums came in families. the faster you get them out of your roof the better as they're pests

i had a possum fall through my ceiling duct and was eyeballing and hissing at me when i switched on the lights.it was the size of a small dog.

it has basically left all its **** all over the whole house. thank god i sold it now. i had to get someone in to catch it and then drive a couple of kms away to release it in the wild. the next day a couple of its mates were waiting outside the deck looking for the possum that was caught the prior night.

Yep, rest assured, where there is one possum, there will be more somewhere close by.

The pest controller getting the possum out of the roof, is only part of the job.

As others have said finding and sealing the opening/s where they enter needs to be seen too as well.

Confirm that the $280 fee is for both (you mention the pest control guy has confirmed it's a possum) and ask for a guarantee.

Last time I checked one of my IP's councils regulation was that you could catch the posssum and remove it. Though it has to be released only 50 meters away. (or some silly distance) So the main thing to do is seal the roof up tight once it's out. A bit of wire or mesh jammed into the hole will not be enough to keep a determined critter out.

N.

Back