Post war fibro- what size?

Hey guys

Probably many of you are of my vintage where we grew up in post war, fibro houses, you know the kind.... tile roof, but fibro walls, single story, 3 bedders with one smallish bathroom, one living room, a kitchen and if you were lucky, an inside laundry...

Now my question is this.... im reckoning the average post war fibro was about 130sqm.... would I be about right or is my childhood memory playing havoc with me? they were a pretty standard design, that was cheap and quick to build.....

so am I on the mark or not?

There are many 1940/1950s fibro government house around my way and I would say that all the 3 bedders you describe are closer to 100m2 which is similar to my ex housing commisson 1970s 3 bed brick and tile which is about 110m2 (11x10).

There are many 1940/1950s fibro government house around my way and I would say that all the 3 bedders you describe are closer to 100m2 which is similar to my ex housing commisson 1970s 3 bed brick and tile which is about 110m2 (11x10).
I agree,around 100-110m2

These homes would have been around the 100sqm - 125sqm.

My parents built a weatherboard house in 1949/1950. Rationing was still in place and the maximum size house they were allowed to build was 12 1/2 squares (around 125 sqm). Not sure when rationing actually ended, but I believe it was after 1950.

They built to the max size allowable.
Marg

Some of them are smaller than 100sqm. Our house is about 100sqm and I was helpfully informed by the REA that it is actually waaaaaaaaay bigger than all the ex-public-housing houses in the town. My grandparents live in an old ex-public house and it is really squeezy.

The new house we are building is about 150sqm and its a 4x2x2. If you go flicking through new home catalogues, the vast majority of entry level 3x2x1 houses are about 130sqm + garage and those all have more bathrooms and bigger living areas than the old post-war houses, so chop off those and you're back to post-war sizes.

Just adding a spruik - if anyone wants to buy an extended post-war fibro on a big subdivisible corner block in Whyalla, I can point you at one :D Its got the tiniest, teensiest rooms though and the loungeroom is microscopic, so its a pretty standard house of the era. Just it has 4 bedrooms (or 3 + workshop) because of the extension. Can't believe how long it took to find the ad though - http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-whyalla+norrie-107167795

Edit: does anyone else find it funny that I describe the house as 'tiny' and the REA describes the house as 'surprisingly spacious'? Its got an extra room or two on the back, big woop. Doesn't make the existing rooms any bigger.

Back