Power of Attorney

Does anyone know if a Power of Attorney drawn up in Qld is legal in other states, or overseas?

I want to sell some shares held in joint names in Toronto but notice their law requires two witnesses to the sig, whereas ours has only one.

I did ask the solicitor [clerk?] if they would be legally binding there and she didn't have a clue. I just want to find out a little for myself before taking it further.

Thanks

I have just found the page for the Ministry of the Attorney General in Ontario with a question link. Hope that will work.

Let's keep the topic open though as it is important.

They wouldn't probably be effective overseas. But you would have to look into the laws of that country.

In Australia they could be effective in other states if they are properly drawn up and meet all the requirements of that state.

If there is real property in other states then the POA would have to be registered with the land titles office of that state for the power to be used to deal with the property.

Hi there
it is a bit like for example getting probate of a will overseas - your document from qld would operate provided you have it registered with the appropriate entity in Canada - the terminology is having it notarised
thanks

Back