PPOR before a playground

Hi all,
We are currently renting a 2x1 house and that is big enough for the two of us. But as we are considering to have kids sooner or later, I reckon changing one of the IPs in to a PPOR would be a better idea instead of searching for rentals and then go through all the hassles such as inspections.

Only one IP is located within our comfort zone (familiar area, close to friends and shopping etc). But the neighborhood doesn't look good. It is not a troublesome area but some houses/gardens/fences are not maintained at all so looks bad. And it is a no through road with a big playground/sporting complex in front of it. It is not a frequently used playground, so at certain weekends it is vibrant with lots of activities and tournaments but is deserted during most days.

And we prefer a 4x2 than a 3x1 and that means we have to do a structural renovation at some point after few years. The plan is to live there and see whether it is worth to upgrade the house. We can move on if it doesn't suit us.

Is it ok to live before a playground? And how important is the 'look' of the area we live when raising kids?

I think a playground is awesome if you want to have kids. It's somewhere to walk to pet which might come with the kids, they can play footy, cricket, climb trees and get outside in a location where you can still keep an eye on them when you are weeding the front garden etc.

Generally dwellings opposite playgrounds and reserves command a premium as there are less neighbours and more ammenities.

The look may come in time, but I would be cautious about spending too much money on it if it will then become too much for the area.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply WM. Now that playground looks more beautiful! Yep, I agree that we shouldn't over capitalise.

Our last PPOR was opposite a park and playground. MIL still lives in the unit next door and whenever we visit, which is regularly as its 2 min drive away I take the kids to the park/playground. They love it and its the biggest part I miss about living there.

Give it a trial for 12 months and then revisit.

How many years away are kids singo?
Depending on how many you plan on having and whether you need a study or whatnot, why do you feel you need a 4x2?

Good to see the usual late crew up and about :p

How many years away are kids singo?
Depending on how many you plan on having and whether you need a study or whatnot, why do you feel you need a 4x2?

Good to see the usual late crew up and about :p

Let's see how fast I can make them :p Well, just depends on how long my partner stays at current job. If the job changes, then have to wait for some time to get serviceability again. So instead of going for another job, may go for kids.

With a couple of kids, definitely need a 4x2 sooner or later. Probably bigger! Ideally should build one, but don't think that gonna happen anytime soon.

Got a few hours to go to sleep!

We live 100 metres from one and that is close enough to enjoy it but not too close to have problems that go with it.

It all depends on what the park is being used for. Is it a small grassed area with a swing set or does it have sporting activities that train on weeknights and have activities all weekend.

Also take a look at the parking situation during its peak use and see if that will have an impact with you and perhaps visit a few times at different parts of the day and week to see how it is being used.

Back