PPOR in Sydney, suburb suggestions

We're looking for a 2 bedroom unit, but a big one. 100sqm+ would be good. Also want a courtyard or at least a decent balcony.

I work in South-Western Sydney and my husband in the Eastern suburbs. So no where north. Budget is $650k max. Don't really want to go over that.

We've looked a bit around Rockdale and Allawah but want to broaden our minds so we have more options. Ideas?

We're looking for a 2 bedroom unit, but a big one. 100sqm+ would be good. Also want a courtyard or at least a decent balcony.

I work in South-Western Sydney and my husband in the Eastern suburbs. So no where north. Budget is $650k max. Don't really want to go over that.

We've looked a bit around Rockdale and Allawah but want to broaden our minds so we have more options. Ideas?

Arncliffe, - some older units with the bigger space

Campsie - Bigger balcony for sure...traditionally a Greek area so solid greek build with massive balconies ...but really with that price you can buy the slightly new stock in Campsie too..

Belmore - Not sure if you want to go that close to Punchbowl...given it's a PPOR

Bexley - Solid space with court yard...it be at the tip of the $650k

Woolooware - Not sure if that's to south?

Try an older red or yellow brick style apartment. Can try Dulwich Hill, you might also want to try Summer Hill if your budget can be stretched a little. Will be good for PPOR as it has a good lifestyle in trendy area with has good public transport.

I saw that one in Rockdale. That would be awesome. I think it will go much higher than that at auction though, looking at past prices.

Haven't looked at Kogarah, will do.

I saw that one in Rockdale. That would be awesome. I think it will go much higher than that at auction though, looking at past prices.

Haven't looked at Kogarah, will do.

I visited Summer Hill just this week (for the first time) as my brother-in-law bought a place there.

I really liked a village setting over there..seems like a very friendly neighbourhood..mostly Aussie living..If I was working in South/East/West/City , I would have definitely looked at Summer Hill to purchase my PPOR..
but for largish block , you will have to stretch to more like 750K I reckon.

Dulwich Hill is too expensive for a big unit. Damn light rail.

Yeah, $700k minimum for a decent sized 2 bed unit with garage. Some of the very big 1 bedders are fetching more than that now.

I have a few apartments within 500m of the light rail stop there. Growth has been strong and rents are good.

Can't wait 'til the new residential/commercial stuff is done around the station and light rail. There's more than a dozen new shops on the way.

It would be nice to have a villa or duplex, but too far for my husband to go to work. Thank you for all the suggestions everyone, going to have a good look :)

I would stick to areas that allow you to get onto the M5 quickly.
From a pure geographical view, Arncliffe is probably a good choice.

From Arncliffe, it would be easier to reach the eastern suburbs without hitting the M5 (eg using Gardeners Rd). For you driving south west, the M5 is a dream because you've going in the opposite direction.

If you go out to Bexley, it would still be good for you, not as good for your husband.

That said, I do like Bexley and Bexley North. Bexley does has some 2 bed villas.

http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/villa/nsw/bexley/?adid=2011806964&sp=5
(I have no idea how long something like has been there for, some agents tend to leave old ads without updating it to drive business. This could be one of them.)

As an indication, 4/51-53 Mimosa St Bexley http://house.ksou.cn/p.php?q=Bexley&sta=nsw&id=1862178 sold for $692k on 28 March 2015.

Yeah, I like Arncliffe too. Most of it at the moment is OTP (which we're not doing!). There are a couple though. For this one, they want $600k http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/apartment-unit-flat/nsw/arncliffe/?adid=2011723331&sp=5

Which is $65k more for it than another apartment that sold in the same building last month! http://www.domain.com.au/property/sold/apartment-unit-flat/nsw/arncliffe/?adid=2011790616&sp=4

I know it has been done up, but not $65k done up! Any idea why the strata would be different for two apartments in the same block?

We both like Bexley, but haven't seen anything big enough there. We'll keep looking though.

It sounds like you have a very specific wishlist yet have a very strict and perhaps lowish budget for what you're after particularly if you need to be close to the Eastern Suburbs as well.

The market may pass you by if you are too strict on wishlist and budget. One has to give otherwise you will be spending your Saturdays for the next 2 years going to open houses before you know it.

Back