A bit more brick work.

Attachments

• Photo0094.jpg
    Photo0094.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 98
  • Photo0093.jpg
    Photo0093.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 101
Looking great!! It sure looks like a mostly completed house now. If only those darned finishing off bits didn't take so long. It must be so satisfying to see your own build come to fruition. I would love to do it one day... Of course, if DH was here he'd say, "Yeah, after we get divorced." I think he'd prefer waterboarding to going through a house build.

Looking great!! It sure looks like a mostly completed house now. If only those darned finishing off bits didn't take so long. It must be so satisfying to see your own build come to fruition. I would love to do it one day... Of course, if DH was here he'd say, "Yeah, after we get divorced." I think he'd prefer waterboarding to going through a house build.

This is our second PPoR build, and we have done 5 renos as well now.

It seems quite daunting, but it is actually fun for the most part, and my best advice is to not be in any hurry for any stage, and expect to pay more than you think for either type of project, because it is always the case.

UPDATE:

All the brickwork is now completed, and the brick cleaner was there yesterday. Very happy with the results. We used local brickies who I know from the golf club and who do a lot of work with and for the builder. No doubt not the cheapest, but a good job done.

Both the electrician and the plumber arrived this week to start their "rough-in" for wiring and pipes.

There was also some noggin work being completed in readiness for the outside eaves. The scaffolding which the brickies used is still there to be used by the guys doing the eaves and the painting of the them and the facias.

These guys will be starting this week, at the back of the house where the scaffolding is, and then they have to disassemble it all, move it to the front and reassemble it all again.

Once the scaffolding is out of the way from the back of the house, the pool company can begin their work on the concrete pours.

This was originally going to be one of the first jobs done, but fortunately the vacant block next door is owned by one of our other neighbors, and they have allowed us access from it through the side fence. So this meant we could do the pool in the correct order of things, and not have two empty concrete shells sitting around for a few months with the possibility of getting damaged. The spa shell is half under the top deck, and quite near the house.

It pays to be friends with you neighbors!

Here are a few more pics of the brickwork.

Attachments

• Photo0104.jpg
    Photo0104.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Upper Deck towards gas log fireplace and dining room.jpg
    Upper Deck towards gas log fireplace and dining room.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Upper deck towards side window of loungeroom.jpg
    Upper deck towards side window of loungeroom.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
A few more of the bricks.

Attachments

• Photo0098.jpg
    Photo0098.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Photo0099.jpg
    Photo0099.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Photo0101.jpg
    Photo0101.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 85
Update;

the foam sheeting which will be the support for the rendered sections was completed on Friday, as well as the vertical board sheets, which will be painted.

The biggest excitement for us was the installation of the sliding doors at the back - 3 sets in all - two upstairs and one downstairs. They are double-glazed and are surprisingly heavy becuase of this, but still slide quite well. They look great and we are very pleased with how they've turned out. Still a few of the glass in the downstairs windows to go in yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 76
After Easter

Update for anyone interested;

all the preps for the interior plaster have been completed, and wall insulation finished to day - plasterers begin tomorrow. It's amazing how quiet the house is now that most of the glass (double glazed) and the insulation is in!

Roofers were there today completing the final bits of flashing, and the sparky finished off all measurements for lights to be cut in after the paster, as well as last few cable feeds interior and out.

Three of the smaller sliding windows had the glass cut wrong size and will not be finished off until after Easter.

Tomorrow the FIL and I are travelling up to town to pick up the glass panel we had made for the front door - using his Tarago. This will be delivered down to the window people so they can install it into the steel door, ready to go into the front door frame.

Should be at lock-up stage by early May, or maybe end of second week.

The pool guy starts on the shells for the spa and pool sometime between Easter and May. Weather has hindered him for last two weeks - keeps raining every few days and the back yard is surprising soft.

The final coat of coloured render is still to go on (3 in all), but the rain this week has put them back until after Easter of course.

Update;

bottom level of house is completed plastered and ready for sanding.

Most of outside of house is finished painting now, and all the rendering has been finished.

The pool and spa excavations started yesterday, they came back today to commence boxing up and laying reo in trenches ready for footings to be poured.

Almost a disaster; after the excavations were done and the workers had gone home last night, I walked over the area, and noticed one of the trench lines didn't match up to what the plans said - it was half a metre offline over the length of the trench.

I turned up first thing this morning to catch the boys before they started laying the reo and boxing, and asked them to check with the pool contractor first. he turned up about 20 mins later and sure enough - the trench was wrong. They dug out the correct line by hand, which has put them back by a day - they were expecting to start pouring footings today.

It turns out the excavator driver was lining up the wrong peg when he started his dig yesterday. Could have been an expensive mistake for the Pool Guy had I not noticed.

I wonder if I'll get a discount on the strength of it? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 86
  • pool dig from top deck.jpg
    pool dig from top deck.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Spa dig in front, pool dig in back.jpg
    Spa dig in front, pool dig in back.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 79
Awesome thread, great progress!
Thanks ED,
I hope everyone gets an insight into what happens with a house build from this.

There are loads more things happening with it that I don't include because it would be so long-winded.

I can say though, that the builder and I are in communication pretty much every day to make decisions on yet another item that - on the plan - looks straighforward, but isn't.

It has turned out to be quite a challenge for all due to the block levels, the 3 levels of the house and the angles.

Yesterday the framer was there doing a few odds and ends as well, and he was talking with the builder and I about the house, and the builder said to him; "I promise the next one will be a single story on a flat block (LOL)"

UPDATE:

Pool builders have finished framing up for the pour, and have already done the concrete footings. Slight drama when it became apparent that they made the pool one metre too long. This wouldn't have worried me, except that it would have cut dramatically into the deck area at the side of the pool where we planned to have banana lounges/table and chairs etc.

So, they had to pull one end of the boxing off and re-do it. All systems go now for the pour next Wed, which was supposed to be Mon. Oh well. :)

The plasterers have finished hanging the entire house inside as of yesterday, only the upstairs areas to bog and sand now. All the rooms have now taken their final shape, and it seems to have gotten bigger inside and higher at the ceilings - 2.7m.

The scaffolding has been taken down and we can finally see the entire house as is. Looks good so far; a bit more painting of panles around the front door, but these won't be done until the final bit of plastering is done underneath the overhanging guest bedroom and 3rd living room.

Final window glass panels to go in next Wed (they cut 4 of them wrong size), as well as front door, which has a "slump glass" decorative panel in it. Can't wait to see it.

Going down to pick out interior doors (semi-solid core) and door furniture tomorrow morning. Just have to try and organise a babysitter to take care of the boys whilst this is done - too boring for them and too much like hard work for us with them in tow.

Garage door is ready but won't be installed until after the painter has been through it.

Attachments

• Garage and guest bed above.jpg
    Garage and guest bed above.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 110
  • boxing for pool.jpg
    boxing for pool.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 108
  • boxing for the spa.jpg
    boxing for the spa.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 100
More pics..............

The spa and pool are separate constructions, with the spa half under the back upper deck and at the same level as the lower floor rear entrance and deck.

From here there will be steps either side of the spa leading down about 1 metre drop to the lower pool deck.

We are having a meeting on Tues morning onsite with the builder and the decking company - the decks are bamboo, and are secured by clips. My builder has never done it, and the fitting system is a bit different to yer normal merbau type decks.

The end result will be bamboo floorboards with matching (as close as possible) bamboo floors inside and decks outside. Should look good........we hope.

The photos of the house are not really indicative of the true colours - they are actually a bit darker in real life than they appear here.

Attachments

• boxing for pool from back upper deck.jpg
    boxing for pool from back upper deck.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Front entrance and 3rd lounge above.jpg
    Front entrance and 3rd lounge above.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Slump glass front door panel.jpg
    Slump glass front door panel.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
The pouring of the concrete shells for the spa and pool were supposed to happen on Wed, but have been washed out until (hopefully - weather permitting again!) today.

Plastering is all but finished inside - last bit if square-set cornices to go and then sand off uostairs - should be done by Mon night I'm told, then the big clean up inside. Yay!

Sadly, our lovely big gum in the backyard looks to have died and will need to come down. I reckon the changes in the soil and all the rain we've had since the build commenced etc have resulted in it becoming waterlogged at the roots.

Concrete shells for the spa and pool finally got poured today, and the rain came down again soon after...

Attachments

• Pool shell from upper deck.jpg
    Pool shell from upper deck.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Spa shell.jpg
    Spa shell.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Spa and pool shell.jpg
    Spa and pool shell.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 82
Update;

Lock-up stage has arrived!

Front door has been installed and looks awesome, decking framework around pool and spa is almost complete.

The windows and doors are unreal; we wanted to do these areas in very high quality as there are a lot, and all double-glazed.

The builder has done about half the window and door architraves inside, and hung about half the doors. He's also done quite a few skirting boards.

Internal stair cases are finished; waiting on bamboo steps to go on. All the bamboo flooring will go in last as it is pre-coated, and the builder doesn't want it to get scratched by any other workers afterwards.

Painters have given all of internal an undercoat and first coat in a few areas. One colour only ; China White half strength low sheen, and same on all the architraves, internal doors and skirting boards, but in hi-gloss acrylic.

Garage door is ready to go in, but is being held back until a lot of the debris has been removed and work around that area is completed. It's also a mud-pit right outside the garage/front door area at the moment.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the process you have been going through, it is really great to see what you have come across along the way.

We have bought a steep block in Mt Mount Martha with bay views but are only getting our plans drawn up at this stage, we have a long way to go and plan on doing most of the build ourselves.

We have bought a steep block in Mt Mount Martha with bay views but are only getting our plans drawn up at this stage, we have a long way to go and plan on doing most of the build ourselves.

Well done.

I haven't given much in the way of costings for our build, but I can tell you that the concrete was almost $30k. This was for a 2 level slab though.

One thing about the owner-builder we found was - and it may have changed since we began - the banks were very loathe to be involved in it. They were only interested in a normal Building Contract.

Our situation was a bit different to normal though; we had the funds from the sale of our other PPoR held by the bank as security over the other loans we have. These funds are to be used for the build, and released by the bank as each stage was completed, so this is no doubt the reason why they wanted to see a normal progress payments arrangement.

Are you guys in the building trade?

Yes hubby is a builder, but we have never built a house for ourselves, so it will be a big step for us.

We have just sold our PPOR which we did a major extension on and are now living in one of our investment properties in good old Frankston for now.

We may keep Frankston if we have enough for the build, but have it up our sleeves if we need more funds and need to sell. We are currently doing a little reno on the place to get it up to scratch and make it a bit nicer to live in.

Update:

The joinery crowd have been in the last few days installing all the cabinets for the kitchen, laundry, bar area and bathroom. The benchtops in the bathrooms and kitchen are granite so wont go on until mid-next week.

Meanwhile the builder has finished the entire two upstairs levels of architraves, window frames and skirting boards, and has also finished hanging all the doors , sliders and door furniture.

The painters will be able to give these areas the final painting early next week, and then the plumber and sparky can move in for the lights, powerpoints, rangehood and tapware fit out.

Yesterday the window people were there doing the last of the checks and discovered the downstairs and one of the upstairs sliding doors both have a slight leak at the base, so both had to be pulled out, sealed and refitted. This mean removing the architraves around the frame on the upstairs door.

Last edited:
Back