Pre-settlement inspection this coming tuesday

Pre-settlement inspection this coming tuesday need advice on some issues

Hi all,

Just wanted to run this past some experience people on the forum.

I have just purchased a villa 3x2x2 in Nollamara its brand new and just been completed. I brought this off the seller who contracted builder to build the 3 villa's to sell.

I have got a Building inspection done and it has come back with some major issues.

• Plumbing drainage problems were noted on the kitchen sink and the
guest bathroom drain lines (see the "Kitchen, Sink" and "Bathroom,
Plumbing" sections of this report for further details). While the ensuite
bathroom and laundry lines were tested and appeared functional we
recommend getting the plumbing system reviewed by a qualified plumber
to ensure plumbing clearance.
Bathroom and Toilets

•The drain line from the guest bathroom is blocked. The sink, shower and
floor drains overflow when water is run for a while. This needs to be
rectified.

•Kitchen Sinks • Very slow drain at sinks indicating a plumbing blockage. Recommend
consulting a qualified plumber to rectify.

Water Heater
The hot water system did not function at the time of the inspection (gas
was turned on and system powered but no hot water generated). This
should be checked with the agent/builder and tested at the final
walk through inspect.

I have uploaded the pictures and these are the issues in the report.
I told the agent I wanted the plumbing fixed before pre-inspection which is this Tuesday 27/11/12 and settlement date we have proposed is 5 Dec just before we leave on holidays on the 9th.

Agent has advised me that its better to do the inspection on Tuesday get it all listed they he can get the builders or trades people to fix it all in one go instead of coming back and fourth.

whats people opinions on this any advice, ideally I hope once I list it all it will be fixed before settlement on the 5th Dec.

Things like overpaint to be rectified, and cracks in morta to be filled I guess would it be to petty ?

The overflow in guest bathroom was a issue, inspector turned on all the taps and shower did not drain well once it did it came up through the floor drain. Anybody know if this is an easy fix for the plumbers when they call them back ?

More pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/byu88/8216167495/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/byu88/8217252034/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/byu88/8216167749/in/photostream

Attachments

• bathroom overflow.PNG
    bathroom overflow.PNG
    296.8 KB · Views: 126
  • seal wall flasing.PNG
    seal wall flasing.PNG
    102.7 KB · Views: 119
  • overpaint.PNG
    overpaint.PNG
    191.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
The likely cause of the drain blocjkages is the careless attitude from a tiler who washed his grout etc down the drain. This then hardens and blocks the drain pipe.

It can be quite a serious problem if it is the tilers muck that causing the problem.

Another issue that could be causing it is in fact the temporary block that builders put in the drain line to make sure that tilers don't use the drains to wash out their tiling muck.

Either way it needs to be removed.

I would say that the building inspector has done you a massive disservice as in flooding the bathroom he may have damaged to bottom of the cupboard.

The overpaint that the inspector mentions is not overpaint but rather a blob of gyprock. I would have preferred to see all the gaps between wall and corniche filled.

The roof flashing must be fixed as if one pic you can see the framing.

The laundry ceiling will need to be repainted as it's unlikely that the mark can be touched up,

Cheers

These really aren't major issues as they're not structural. They do however deserve to be fixed by the builder so before you settle contact your conveyancer and request them to be fixed before settlement.

Did you include a building inspection clause in your contract?
If so then you can use that as an incentive for the vendor to get things fixed... If not then you may have to argue harder for the work to be done.

With the plumbing try and run the taps for a while and see if the situation improves. Often piping gets dirt clods in it upon construction and the problem goes away after water washes the dirt from the piping. Ask the vendor to organise a plumber, at the moment it's their responsibility.

Don't expect these issues to be fixed by the vendor.

You are likely to have signed an agreement to purchase the property as is. ie at the state it was in when you signed. Did you get an inspection done then too?

Don't expect these issues to be fixed by the vendor.

You are likely to have signed an agreement to purchase the property as is. ie at the state it was in when you signed. Did you get an inspection done then too?

This is true, except new builds have to meet building codes/standards and if they're in breach then you can argue defects against the builder.

In any case if you don't have a building insp clause you'll probably have to argue to get anything done like Terry has said.

Last edited:
Hi All thanks for your replies,

I did put a building inspection clause but that only cover structual defects only.

In special conditions it does have "the seller warrants all electrical,gas, plumbing fixtures and fittings shall be in good working order at the time of settlement, at settlement date, should any repairs required to meet this conditons not have been effected. the seller authorizes the estimate cost of these to be deducted from the settlement proceeds "

I also have a 6 month maintence period with the so called builder via the seller i guess.

i'm hoping the flood was not too bad and it subsided or he try to clean it up.

i'll post a few more, those flash flooding stuff I don't understand in the picture with red circle(either side of entrance portico walls) to me that looks like a rusted gaping hole. I don;t know what a perfect seal wall flashing should look like.

I understand the laundry bit where it sperates the flow of water from side wall and roof.

i'll post some more picture for people to review

http://www.flickr.com/photos/byu88/8219283300/in/photostream

you can just flick through the photo stream for the rest

Hi All thanks for your replies,

I did put a building inspection clause but that only cover structual defects only.

Why would this be the case?A building inspection will cover everything concerning the house.
My new build PPOR had a plumbing problem very similar to yours the day we moved in,which did not come up in the building inspection done earlier in that week.
To cut it short,the retaining wall team punctured the sewer line 6 times when drilling the post holes,which resulted in a very costly sewer re run,and new paving.The builder and retaining wall company are still fighting with each other 2 years down the track.

Is there a builder's regulatory authority in your state that administers Builders' warranties?

I know it would be preferable to have these things fixed before settlement, but based on experience, it's not likely.

Find out what items that you have described are warranty items, and then should they not be fixed before settlement, at least you know that they should be fixed by the builder at no cost to you.

basically if i wanted to resind on the contract based on satisfactory building inspection. the only way I can resind it is, if they found the property not structurally sound.

Since it is structurally sound If i wanted to back out it would be difficult.

i'm just hoping they just fix eveything without making it hard. The 6 month defect warranty will also be in place so hopefully that follow through with that properly as well

In special conditions it does have "the seller warrants all electrical,gas, plumbing fixtures and fittings shall be in good working order at the time of settlement, at settlement date, should any repairs required to meet this conditons not have been effected. the seller authorizes the estimate cost of these to be deducted from the settlement proceeds "

withold money until its done...?

Well did the inspection, agent is onto everything, he even picked up something that the building inspector missed a bathroom cabinet laminate missing.

tested the garage, alarm, gas, oven all seems good.

the gyprock or groute is very obvious and very annoying especially in the alfresco area when your enjoying and look up and you see it .

He says its hard to clean, I beg to differ, and don't usually see this sort of quality when I see other places.

overall all will be attended in the inspection report and more.

keep you all updated

Back