pre-settlement inspection

there was no mention from my building inspector that the hot water system was not working... so contract becomes unconditional; but when i went to inspect the property today (vacated over the weekend), i found out that the HWS is not working, can i ask the seller to repair or deduct from final selling price when we settle next week? how much would it normally cost to replace a hot water system (drum type, electric powered).

needing some advice please!!

Have you checked the fuse?

Was the property vacant when you brought it - when you exchanged, HWS use a lot of power and the fuse may have been removed while no one was living there.

Tank style HWS have a life span of between 8 and 15 years (some do last longer), how old is your unit? if it is not that old the problem could be the element.

Prices depend on the size of the unit, 50litres start from around $550.00 installed, 300litres $1500.00 installed.

You won't be able to claim from owner as you brought property in current state, and as you don't know if the unit was working when you exchanged.

It’s definitely not working – i checked the fuse and everything. House was build maybe early 70’s – you can see that the tank unit is quite old.

When we had the building inspection done, there was nobody living there, they had to relocate interstate – but most of their stuff were still in the property.

So are you saying that i cannot claim the cost of a new one from the seller?

Hi there
yes it is buyer beware - if it wasn't a condition that the hotwater service be in working condition when you purchased - then you have no comeback against the seller
thanks

Back