Privately manage with full support?

Hey everyone

I think this is the best place on the internet to get some honest market feedback - so here goes!

Until recently I ran my own successful real estate agency - we managed just over 600 properties (here in Canberra), and were regarded as one of the leading boutique agencies in the state.

I sold to a national company, and am embarking on a new business (Be Your Own Agent).

I am also a landlord myself with multiple properties, so understand all sides of the process.

I have distilled all the knowledge, systems, processes and support into an online platform.

The whole process is system orientated - including the following;

1. All documents, state specific, linked to your property file - if you need to issue a notice or send a letter / email, it auto propogates the form for you ready to send.
2. Accounting / rental payment receipts
3. Communication systems between landlord / tenant / maintenance provider
4. In depth knowledge base for any and all questions / issues which may arise
5. E-books for every stage of the process; letting, marketing, tribunal etc
6. One on one support from myself and my team for any "out of the box" questions, issues
7. Network of professional support across brokerage / legal etc

We will be charging a subscription fee of $20 per month - no lock in contracts.

Would be interested to know your thoughts guys!

Thanks!

It seems like a great idea. A one stop shop for private PM.

Is there a function to list your property for
Rent or connect to your gum tree or real estate.com.au Ad?

Are there any trial versions to evaluate the system?

Can we perform tenant checks?

Thanks

It seems like a great idea. A one stop shop for private PM.

Is there a function to list your property for
Rent or connect to your gum tree or real estate.com.au Ad?

Are there any trial versions to evaluate the system?

Can we perform tenant checks?

Thanks

Hi there

Thanks for the reply.

I've not looked in the ability to list properties on RealEstate. In Canberra we only used Allhomes, so I don't have much experience with RealEstate.com, but it's something I'll get the designers to look into.

We will be offering a free trial period to evaluate (14 days), prior to any payment.

My aim is to build a system to manage my own properties, so it will be a one stop shop for investors, very excited to launch!

You're more than welcome to visit the site and enter your details, and you will get access to the beta stage for free :)

im a bit confused, so what exactly does your new service offer?

Sorry for the confusion.

There will be a website www.beyourownagent.com.au

You sign up, and the website acts as a CRM / management portal. You enter all your details / property details / tenant details, and the system effectively manages your property for you (same as agencies which use REST or CONSOLE).

Any letters / documents / notices you need are automated (they self propogate with the details of the property / tenant), as well as the aforementioned knowledge base / support / admin / marketing etc.

Basically the web application acts as your one stop shop for managing your property, and the support and systems act in the same capacity as a property manager does.

Say, I smell bacon, does anybody else smell bacon?

Yeah... I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Oh wait, it's not ham, it's

spam5.jpg

spam5.jpg

Wow ... not at all.

I saw a previous post in the form of a poll from an agency asking for feedback on how to secure new business?

I didn't realise this post would be regarded as spam - I'm simply trying to gauge the viability of a business to save landlords money and help with management of their IP's.

If the mods feel this is spam, please delete the post - the last thing I want is to offend anyone!

Blatant self promotion is not accepted here. Helpful contributions are. Just need to ensure the balance between the two is maintained and the community is not overrun with subliminal marketing efforts.

Blatant self promotion is not accepted here. Helpful contributions are. Just need to ensure the balance between the two is maintained and the community is not overrun with subliminal marketing efforts.

I completely understand.

I am a landlord myself, and am simply trying to get some market feedback on a service designed to save landlords a minimum of $1,000+ per year in fees.

The business is nowhere near launch, and I am simply trying to make sure the offering is something that would appeal to people.

I'm on your side!! :)

To get back to your business... what would be useful for your service, if it does launch, would be for an affilation with a LL insurance provider that is guaranteed to accept privately managing landlords, and a discount structure for them.

Hi Erik

This is great news ! I was just considering managing my properties myself and a bit unsure of where to start.

I'll check out your site and go from there. Don't know why some people are so negative.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Amelia

I couldn't see myself paying $20 for this per property per month, google gives you it all for free. I think you'd need to offer something more to stand out.

This is great news ! I was just considering managing my properties myself and a bit unsure of where to start.

I'll check out your site and go from there. Don't know why some people are so negative.

I know that when BeYourOwnAgent started replying to any and every post with a link to his own business, I thought it a bit pushy. One night recently, there were answers to more posts than I've had hot dinners, and (perhaps others felt the same) I just thought it was just a bit too obvious.

There are plenty of people with helpful sites (brokers, buyers' agents, town planners, lawyers) who post here but I understand that they didn't come here with such an obvious agenda and with (seemingly) the aim of pushing their new product. I suppose it is a fine line, but perhaps some helpful advice without the blatant advertising would have been a better way of introducing yourself :)

Having said that, I think your site will help a lot of people. I've always self-managed so I know where to find everything I need for free, but many people don't have a clue that all this is freely available.

As someone who has self managed from day one, I like that these days we can get a listing on re.com. That was one of the main issues in the past.

I'm also guessing that once you start getting some self-managing landlords calling you to asking silly questions every second day, you may have to raise your prices :).

Erik, could you provide clarification if it is $20/month, or $20/month per property. I should think the former, but clarification is always nice.

I know that when BeYourOwnAgent started replying to any and every post with a link to his own business, I thought it a bit pushy. One night recently, there were answers to more posts than I've had hot dinners, and (perhaps others felt the same) I just thought it was just a bit too obvious.

There are plenty of people with helpful sites (brokers, buyers' agents, town planners, lawyers) who post here but I understand that they didn't come here with such an obvious agenda and with (seemingly) the aim of pushing their new product. I suppose it is a fine line, but perhaps some helpful advice without the blatant advertising would have been a better way of introducing yourself :)

Having said that, I think your site will help a lot of people. I've always self-managed so I know where to find everything I need for free, but many people don't have a clue that all this is freely available.

As someone who has self managed from day one, I like that these days we can get a listing on re.com. That was one of the main issues in the past.

I'm also guessing that once you start getting some self-managing landlords calling you to asking silly questions every second day, you may have to raise your prices :).

Thanks!

And I hear you - I really do.

I'm not here simply to push my business; I genuinely love property and investing (or else I'd be mad to buy all the properties I have).

Time will show that I'm here to help and offer assistance. I'll definitely refrain from mentioning my business from now on!

spam5.jpg

I would think that's a bit harsh. There have certainly been other posts on here from property management companies (forum members) announcing that they are opening and pointing out how they do things differently. As long as it all remains relevant and has the potential to provide some benefit to members and isn't simply an advertisement, then I don't see the harm.

I think the concept has merit, not that I would particularly promote self management mind you, but for those that wish to travel that path any assistance they can get in regard to systems and procedures and keeping everything organised could be well worthwhile. There are other sites out there to provide private landlords with information but I'm not sure how far they go.

If the site assists in enough ways, I wouldn't see a cost of $20 per month as being prohibitive, landlords without appropriate systems in place could easily cost themselves more than $240 in a year if they mess something up. A free trial will certainly help provide some comfort, and no lock in contracts so that if it isn't doing enough for someone they can get out easily.

Back