Proactive Accountant or Shoebox

Is anyone else on this Forum putting up with an accountant who is not up to scratch ? Are you putting off the inevitable - changing accountant ?
It's a very disruptive process which I've been procrastinating about for too long. My accountant is wonderful and woeful, I just gotta do something about it.
I requested from my accountant a trial balance or whatever they call it for 1 st June, so I would know my tax position prior to 30 th June, so I could make adjustments if possible. I sent this text message to her somewhere in the wilds of some National Park where she's on holidays today, very bad timing for an accountant - message reads
" Here I sit, not relaxed,
wondering how I'm gonna get taxed.
Do I buy some luxury,
or write a cheque to Carmody ? "

I feel abandoned, should I send her a text message tomorrow morning 1st July saying "happy new year, luv ya, but you're relieved of duties" ?

Oh well, no point putting off the inevitable. As they say, if you have to swallow a frog, don't look at it too long. "

wishing you all a happy and prosperous new financial year. :D
cheers
crest133

Crestfallen.

Even an accountant needs a holiday. A small accountant probably needs to take hols BEFORE June 30- after last years returns, and before next year's.

More important to have a look at accountant's overall performance.

I'd already decided to change accountants.

I received a letter from one today. An urgent demand for tax for my SMSF.

The ATO letter was dated 19 June, their letter was dated 24 June, and postmarked 29 June.

greenhorn said:
I need an accountant too.. 1st year with an IP any suggestions in canberra?
Yep.

My suggestion.

Go to Dale in Melbourne :D

There's a lot of accountants in Canberra, and I've only tried two- and I'm going to Dale.

geoffw said:
Yep.

My suggestion.

Go to Dale in Melbourne :D

There's a lot of accountants in Canberra, and I've only tried two- and I'm going to Dale.

GeoffW,

I'm in the same situation where I'm in Canberra and have been going to an accountant who doesn't really know much about trusts, so this year I'm planning to change accountants.

So if you're dealing with an accountant that is in another state, do you travel to them every year or do you correspond via mail?

Thanks

Orion

Orion said:
So if you're dealing with an accountant that is in another state, do you travel to them every year or do you correspond via mail?
I'm going, I haven't been yet :D

I don't mind going there if it helps- probably especially for the first time round- $79 one way deductible is OK by me. Lost deductions will cost me a lot more.

Do a search- you'll find posts from people who have dealt with Dale from other countries and who have not had a problem.

Thanks guys,

I was thinking to try an accountant in Sydney, but after your comments, I think I'll try Dale.

For such a small cost of flying there, I'm sure it's going to be worth it.

:)

Orion

I changed accountants and went to Dale and did not find it disruptive in the least. Every time I purchased a new property, my old accountant increased his bill!!
To this day I have never met Dale. I rely on express post envelopes, email and the telephone.

CK

Hi,

We changed from our accountant to Dale as well last year. Our previous accountant wasn't keeping up with where we were heading.

The changeover was easy because Dale knew exactly what we were wanting to do.

We do go down to see him from north of Sydney but we enjoy the chance to getaway to Melbourne. :)

Peter

My accountant has cost me or lost me thousands. I am way ahead of him property wise (partly due to this forum!).

I have been looking for a new accountant, and am tossing up between Dale or Nick Moustacas at Strategic Wealth in Sydney any forumites here with Nick??

They both appear to really know their stuff and "walk the talk" can anybody here help with the decision or should I just toss a coin? :)

Girlynd

girlydragon said:
My accountant has cost me or lost me thousands. I am way ahead of him property wise (partly due to this forum!).

I have been looking for a new accountant, and am tossing up between Dale or Nick Moustacas at Strategic Wealth in Sydney any forumites here with Nick??

They both appear to really know their stuff and "walk the talk" can anybody here help with the decision or should I just toss a coin? :)

Girlynd
I hope I don't get this wrong.

I gather Nick is looking at advanced structures- Hybrid Discretionary Trusts and the like. So Nick may set up a HDT, while Dale may do the day to day tax returns.

But I see from other forumites that Nick does do the day to day stuff as well.

Nick, Dale?

Insight to dealing with a new accoutant:

The accountant is thinking I could process 3 simple returns during this hour at $100 each. Or I could be trying to justify myself to a property investor who doesn't want to pay for my time. What do I do, spend an hour telling them how much I know and try to charge them $300 or get on with the work that is piling up as there is not enough accountants to go around.
If your accountant feels you want to pay for their information you will get it. But if you give the impression of being more concerned about costs you will simply get compliance work.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so mean but every day I try to read clients expectations and provide the service they want. So it is important that you make it clear that you want the accountant to spend the time educating you not just meeting your compliance requirements.
There is plenty of free information on www.bantacs.com.au in the rental property booklet and the CGT booklet but if you want an accountant to look further make sure they understand you want this not the cheapest off the shelf fix to your tax obligations around.

[email protected]

Back