Profit from Reno's

Hi All,

I'm a handyman from the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and looking to Buy,renovate and sell and then when I've gained a bit more cash-flow hang onto a few.
I was wondering if any of you are currently doing this and could maybe point me in the right direction.

Do you think this is still possible in Melbourne?
Thanks

What do you mean by having more cashflow by slling? Do you actually mean more cash?
What we typically do is buy/reno/lease.

By doing a reno you add instant equity and your property is CF neutral at worst. If you buy well and do a good reno you have equity and have a CF+ property. Then you can just repeat/repeat/repeat.

Yes sorry I mean more cash behind me.
So you just get it revalued once the reno's are done?
Do you still think it's possible to buy renovate and sell or does stamp duty etc. eat into your profit to much.

Do you still think it's possible to buy renovate and sell or does stamp duty etc. eat into your profit to much.

Stamp duty is a buying cost.

Selling costs are agent's commission and CGT (or GST if applicable). Hold for 12 months to halve the CGT.

it is possible but pretty hard in the current climate.

unless you really have bought dirt cheap or do something outstanding you only may just stand a slight chance. it also depends on the pocket suburb you are looking to do this in.

Hi, I don't know the Melbourne market.

In Sydney at the moment it's near impossible. Things aqre flying out the door for higher than would pay. Obviously it's easier to buy n a slow market where you can negotiate more. But in a rising market you have the oportunity for a quick reno and take advantage of the natural CG as well.

Buy/sell and holding costs can be a big hit to your profit.

When doing your reasearch you need to work backwards. Look at a property and determine it's selling price (be conservative) after the reno. Take off selling costs, buying costs, holding costs (eg interest while doing the reno and waiting for the sale and settlement), reno costs, loan costs etc. Deduct how much profit you want to make and that's your buy price. Don't forget to calculate how much tax you'll pay in CGT. This will vary accrding to your tax bracket. As Vaughan mentioned, if you hang on to it for 12 months your CGT is halved.

We haven't revalued when we've renoed as we have never needed the extra equity but the bank revalued a few after we had a couple and wanted to buy more.

Another option might be to pick up something that badly needs renovating, fix it up and rent it out at a higher rent. There are some in Perth now that are not moving because they are so run down, but have the potential to be positively geared if renovated and rented out at a higher rent.

Hi All,

I'm a handyman from the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and looking to Buy,renovate and sell and then when I've gained a bit more cash-flow hang onto a few.
I was wondering if any of you are currently doing this and could maybe point me in the right direction.

Thanks

How long is a piece of string........Homework, homework, homework, it will be dependent on purchase price, holding costs, reno costs and end value and turn around time.

If you get the timing right you can make money without a reno.

Also I would target areas where a reno will add substantial value, this means there is a demand for this product, this could be inner city/desirable area?? Not all areas will fit this formula, find the areas that would work

renos nowadays to achieve a gain in reasale I feel need to be a full blow dev project as it full stripout having an extension or something like that.

Sounds like you are a novice, as there is so much more to this whole process if you flip (basically trade rather than invest). Also do you plan cosmetic or structural renovation? I would suggest starting out just do cosmetic and see how you go. So the general basic formula would be something like:
As a guide, if you buy for X then multiply by 1.4 and that's the price you should consider that you can sell for.
So $500K would need to sell for $700K. Out of that you should allow 10% for the actual renovations, 15% would be your profit, the rest is required for buying/selling expenses, tax, holding costs.
So to answer your question, can it be done in Melbourne? Well if you find a property, you have ECB (Established Capital Benchmark - basically properties that have a range in price), you stick to your budget and you sell for that price, then the answer is yes!
It can be done in many places if you do your research and you know what you are doing.
However, just a word of advice, I would stick to 3 surrounding suburbs you may be interested, attend all open home inspections, compile data what sold for what, attend auctions to see who the buyers were, and I would do that for at least 3 months so you would get to know the area better than some of your agents (otherwise how will you know what you are buying is well priced?). Basically you need to provide a product (the property) to the client (the buyer) so you need to know the demographics you are dealing with.
Keep learning.....and then have a go...as education minimizes the risks you will face...Good Luck!:)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm busy doing all my homework now reading lots of books and doing lots of research. So hopefully I'll get my first one later in the year when I'm more educated. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. No doubt I'll have more questions along the way.

Hi All,

Thanks
The other thing is the level you will be playing at.

Buy reno sell projects are probably not worth your time in the sub $500k mark, by the time you take off buying costs, holding costs, selling costs, CGT and agent's commission etc.

I've done a few of them now, and the only ones we truly did any good from were the ones over $500k. We have done 2 of those.

The work in them is not much more than yer little projects, and if there is more, you have the potential to make more dough anyway, and you have the "padding" to get others to help you and pay them.

Should still be doing it instead of buying the workshop, but that's another story.

If you have the resources, look at the $1mill+ market - find a good area, or an area set to go bang, and buy the worst house in the best street.

It's an old cliche, but still relevant.

It sounds like possibly you don't have a lot of capital right now and you want to increase that.

I would buy a regional property under 100k, renovate for 10k (possibilities include paint, flooring, kitch, cabinets etc), then try to rent and hold for a while as capital growth is far more rewarding than CF+ - although us low income investors like to reply on our CF+ properties...

OR buy a blank slate/poor condition studio for 150k and do the same. Good CF+.

If you decide to hold for a while, which is usually the intelligence investor choice, be wary of "bad tenant areas" which are more stress than they're worth. So I avoid depressed areas and favour either inner city professionals or single mums on welfare - both generally stay on for a long time if you treat them well.

I learnt everything I know from Australian Property Investor Magazine :) yeah the stories are a little over the top BUT one issue gives you a great idea of all the basics.

Hi All,

Thanks

It's possible if you've got the right skills.

I've just made 200k off a Reno for profit in the Sth East. The Reno itself was done in 12 months on weekends. The house was gutted and extended too pretty much double the size.

I've just renovated my girlfriends unit, she bought it for $370k, 25k in renovations and 4 separate agents have it valued at $500+, less than 12 weeks from settlement.

These aren't handyman renno's though, I work in top end construction and design, and these places reflect that experience.

Your attention to detail and design is more crucial than just chucking some new fittings and fixtures in. It's got to stand out if your expecting top dollar, to do that you need to know what is actually good, and not run of the mill new, which most renovations are.

You need to have your finger on the current trends in interior design, it will be the difference between adding 20-30k, and adding $100k.

Obviously you need to look at suburbs where that price is achievable.

Your kitchen and bathrooms are the most important obviously, it's where people fall in love.

Last edited:
Back