Property deposit requirements

Do any people have successful experience in reduced deposit requirements for standard residential property contracts. I note Steve McKnight often spoke about in his books seeking $1k instead of 10%, has anyone used anything similar with success?

I would never accept a deposit that was less than the agent's commission. In some circumstances agents are entitled to commission even if the contract does not complete.
Marg

Only once i ever paid the 10%,on my 1st home in 1987.Since then its been $1000,once it was $500.

Did you negotiate that with the vendor, solicitor or agent? Did you find many incidences where you had push back against paying less than 10%. I would have thought this tactic would be strong in weaker markets where the vendor didn't have as much negotiating leverage.

I have paid varying deposits pending different purchases.

10% as purchased at auction as public trustee

All other purchases have been negotiated with the REA/vendors

Did you negotiate that with the vendor, solicitor or agent? Did you find many incidences where you had push back against paying less than 10%.

Sometimes the vendor wanted more,if they want the deal,they will take whats on offer.

say you pay 1k on a 200k property

wont the bank still require 10% - 20%
:confused:

Yes. This is just the deposit to the agents trust account to secure the deal. Incase buyer pulls out or cant settle then vendor has some compensation of sorts.

Cheers

On this subject,can anybody explain how Steve McKnight went from zero to a squillion properties in 5 minutes considering that he only purchases cash flow positive which normally indicates restricted capital gain?

On this subject,can anybody explain how Steve McKnight went from zero to a squillion properties in 5 minutes considering that he only purchases cash flow positive which normally indicates restricted capital gain?

There would be many factors involved, one of which is great timing.

They started buying just before the FHOG was introduced. Buying $50k property in which they immediately onsold via an installment contract and received the $7k FHOG as deposit.

There was also huge capital growth as a result. Those same properties would be worth $300k now probably.

If my client is buying I always recommend as small of a deposit as possible, if selling then a decent sized one.

One benefit for the buyer is that, in QLD if you terminate under the cooling off period then the termination penalty is up to 0.25% of the deposit, so even on a million dollar property if deposit is $100 that is it.

I've had more push back from REAs than vendors.
They want the deposit to cover their commissions rather than chase the vendor during settlement.
And go to extreme lengths with getting the vendor to add a clause to the contract to ensure payment at settlement.

I have seen this used to help the buyer....
REA: "But the $1000 deposit is too small"
Buyer: "Why?"
REA: "Vendor will think you aren't committed to the sale"
Buyer: "I've just presented a contract of sale.. I'm in and happy with the deposit"
REA :"But.."
Buyer : "but what?
REA: "If the deposit doesn't cover the commission, the principal will go mental"
Buyer "Ok. I'll up the deposit to XX to cover the commission on finance approval...."
Buyer: "What price will get me a completed contract today...."

Cheers

I use 1k deposits.

90% of my clients use 1k deposits, exceptions only for auction conditions, public trustee provisions or the like.

They want the deposit to cover their commissions rather than chase the vendor during settlement.
And go to extreme lengths with getting the vendor to add a clause to the contract to ensure payment at settlement.

Buyer: "I've just presented a contract of sale.. I'm in and happy with the deposit"
REA: "If the deposit doesn't cover the commission, the principal will go mental"
Buyer "Ok. I'll up the deposit to XX to cover the commission on finance approval...."
Buyer: "What price will get me a completed contract today...."

Cheers

There's less of this in WA since the commission is a settlement disbursement therefore vendor doesnt have to be chased up for it.

Buyer: If you get me the purchase I will make sure you are paid. Send through a copy of the commission invoice to my solicitors 3-4 days before settlement and I will make sure you are paid.

Then honour your word.

To keep the REA happy you could add a condition such as

1. The Seller acknowledges that deposit is less then the commission payable to the Agent. The Seller irrevocably authorises the Buyer's solicitor to pay the balance of the Agent's commission (inc GST) from the purchase monies upon completion of this contract.

Which basically means that the Buyer's solicitor prepares (or requests from the Buyer's bank) a cheque for the balance of the agent's commission and gives this to the Seller's solicitor at settlement.

Back