Property for 2006

Here are some tips from one of the magazines for 2006 from each state-any thoughts on the below?

NSW
Tamarama, Bronte, Clovelly: Water, beachside. Tamarama was rising 15 percent a year before the downturn — but in 2004-05 its median fell 14 percent. "Investors should watch these blue chip suburbs, which have fallen on hard times," Christopher says. "When there's a recovery, they're the ones that will bounce back first." Wilkinson favours Bronte, Clovelly and Tamarama as safe places to buy "out of the noise of Bondi and Coogee".

Newtown: Urban renewal Newtown. It's a couple of stations from the CBD, is being rejuvenated with café lifestyle features. "It's a pretty safe bet," says Wilkinson. But aim for the northern end, which has less commercial and light industrial. The median is around $570,000.

Victoria
Surf Coast: Sea change, infrastructure. The Surf Coast may have a second wave from the Geelong ring road, which will bring seaside towns from Anglesea (median $370,000) to Lorne 30 minutes closer to Melbourne. Goldfields: Hill change, infrastructure. The Ballarat-to-Bendigo region is 60-90 minutes from central Melbourne and upgraded rail services will reduce travel times. Attractive towns with prices down 10-20 percent from peaks. Ballarat's median is about $220,000.

Queensland
Yeppoon: Sea change. On the coast near Rockhampton, Yeppoon has seen big price growth but remains affordable (median $264,000). Lawless says Yeppoon is being transformed by renovation and development. Nearby Emu Park and Cooee Bay are also growing fast.

Maleny: Hill change. The Sunshine Coast hinterland town had a growth spurt in the boom but is now a buyers' market, with appealing acreage selling at big discounts. Typical homes are in the $450,000 to $550,000 range, although the best are $1 million-plus.

ACT
Deakin, Red Hill, Forrest: The stayers. The current market will buy quality — and these upmarket suburbs in Canberra's inner south have had several home sales above $2 million this year, although prices are more typically in the $650,000 to $750,000 range.

SA
Carrickalinga: Sea change. The prime sea change spots are Victor Harbour and Port Elliot — but Carrickalinga is gaining popularity because it's quieter and cheaper (median $310,000). Klemich says you don't need to be on the esplanade because streets further back are elevated with sea views.

Stirling and Crafers: Hill change. The Adelaide Hills continue to grow in popularity. The Heysen Tunnel means areas like Stirling and Crafers (median $380,000) are only 15-20 minutes from the city and offer fine family homes on large lots amid hills-style community living. "I can only see them increasing," says Klemich.

WA
Albany: Government decisions, water. Wherever the state government's Landcorp builds, values climb. Landcorp's latest project is a mixed-use harbourfront project at Albany, four to five hours south of Perth. Albany offers lifestyle around a natural harbour, where you can buy for under $250,000, though typical three-bedders are around $300,000.

Coogee: Urban renewal. Coogee, south of Fremantle, has been a high performer recently — but renewal of a noxious industry area with a marina and residential will take the area to a new level. Currently homes with views fetch $500,000 to $1 million.

Tasmania
Inner Hobart: The stayers. Hobart's market always hinges on the prime inner-city. The next up-cycle is expected to start with Sandy Bay, North Hobart, Battery Point and West Hobart. "The inner suburbs hold best and move first," says Saunders. North Hobart is typically $250,000-$500,000 while Sandy Bay and Battery Point have regular $1 million sales.

Orford: Sea change. The closest east coast town to Hobart is expected to benefit from a new residential estate around a Greg Norman golf course. Brothers says typical Orford homes sell for $300,000 with the best $600,000-$700,000.

NT
Nightcliff: Water. Darwin's northern suburbs are an out-performer, especially Nightcliff and Rapid Creek, where the entry point is the low $400,000s. Nightcliff has parkland, the foreshore and elevated sections with views. "Anything with views is over $800,000," Peacocke says.

Rosebery: Urban renewal. There's always land shortages in Darwin and house-and-land packages tend to sell well. Rosebery has new estates which Peacocke says have been selling quickly.

ACT Comment:

Good suburbs but very expensive to hold. Land tax from $5k per annum and yields in the 3 - 4% take the gloss off any capital gains and doesn't look pretty in a flat period

it'd be nice if they looked outside the major centres for a change. most stats in publications such as api and e-magazines only deal with the capital in each state - there is a lot of investing area outside these capitals!

Don't the results look really superficial? I mean, it's all about seachange and treechange and all the 'headline' reasons. Sounds more like a presentation for a property marketing company than real research.

Why didn't they use more solid fundamentals, like job growth, population growth, infrastructure? e.g. I just read that Parramatta has big infrastructure planned for the next couple of years. When they finish that (past 2010) it'll improve Parra and the whole Western Sydney region.
Alex

Speaking from two areas of experience:

NSW the beaches area quoted is blue chip so of course when it goes up it makes money. Holding and IP worth $800k is another matter.

That said, bronte et all do have some nice older apartments.

GOLDFIELDS VICTORIA He is right on the money there as we are moving to this area in mid 2006 to do the tree change thing.

However our drivers are the tourisim aspects, the easy drive to Tullamarine to commute to Sydney for business, and an interest in Heritage. The very fast train is a bonus.

That said we are moving to the area with Sydney pockets of cash so his point is right.

Cannot comment on the others, Peter147

I agree that Bronte, Tamarama and Clovelly will be amongst the first suburbs to bounce back when the Sydney market moves. Pity I can only afford to buy cheaper property interstate with a higher rental yield.

This property in Violet Street Bronte (an unrenovated semi) was recently sold for 945K:-

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...0&p=30&t=sol&ty=&snf=rbs&ag=&cu=&fmt=&header=

People living in Bronte know how substantial the capital gains can be here. Many older long term residents have witnessed the gradual change from mainly working class suburb (in a great location) to a highly sought after beachside suburb (with prices rivalling Mosman) and capital gains reflecting this change. Good proximity to the city, Westfield shopping complex in Bondi Junction, sports/entertainment venues, Randwick race course and Centennial Park.

A great buy imo if you have substantial income (to utilise negative gearing losses), can renovate and can hold for a few years.

Ajax

lizzie said:
it'd be nice if they looked outside the major centres for a change. most stats in publications such as api and e-magazines only deal with the capital in each state - there is a lot of investing area outside these capitals!

And Lizzie has a good point. In fact, according to the 2005 stats released from NSW REI (provided by APM) all regional NSW areas experienced increases in median house prices, with the exception of the Mid-North Coast, which fell 0.86%. Contrast this with Sydney's house median fall of 4.87% over the same period.

parra

I'm with alexlee - go parramatta for growth.

I live close to Parra and I can see the ongoing building development. Parramatta may not have water views but it is the centre of Sydney.

I have no doubt the eastern beaches of Clovelly, Bronte, Tamarama will be the first to lead the Sydney recovery. I watched these areas go up in price in 1992-1994 where other parts of Sydney were languishing. It doesn't matter what gets built in Paramatta, you can't build a Pacific Ocean or fabricate a sea breeze - especially a few minutes drive from downtown Sydney.

Of course I have to say that as my investments in that area have been expensive to hold and I am anxiously awaiting a recovery. My crystal ball is telling me to leverage here again in 2007. One more cycle of growth is all I need......:)

Oscar said:
I have no doubt the eastern beaches of Clovelly, Bronte, Tamarama will be the first to lead the Sydney recovery.
Oscar,

I tend to agree so they're on my "lead indicator" watch list. I live on the Northern Beaches so might not get much warning before my suburbs start following suit. I'm not holding NG IPs yet, so am waiting for sign of strength in the Eastern Beaches first before I dive on in so to speak. Of course, if I spot an absolute bargain in the meantime I won't hold back.

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael,

Love the "dive in" analogy.

And not to be so flippant with my comments on Paramatta, my 2c is that these suburbs will enjoy the "ripple effect", much later in the next cycle. You want to be positioned at the epicentre. My money is definitely on the said beach side (city) suburbs. As I posted earlier, in *some* cases yields have approached 5% and rents will increase further no doubt about it.....

redwing said:
Queensland
Maleny: Hill change. The Sunshine Coast hinterland town had a growth spurt in the boom but is now a buyers' market, with appealing acreage selling at big discounts. Typical homes are in the $450,000 to $550,000 range, although the best are $1 million-plus.

$405K (minus 10% deposit) repayments at 6.82% IO over 30 yrs equates to ~ $531pw. By "appealing” acreage I assume they mean 2 acres or so?

In all, a property like this perhaps (rented at $350pw)?

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...0&p=30&t=ren&ty=&snf=rbs&ag=&cu=&fmt=&header=

From an investors viewpoint, Maleny doesn't add up.

One the other hand, maybe this “tip” the mag talks about is for PPOR buyers.

I wish they'd be more specific.

Confusing!

George

Back