Property in the Bowen Basin, Qld

Starting a new thread in response to Bruce rather than hijack Bianca's here http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22286.

thefirstbruce said:
Would be interested to hear more from you. The risks with many of these towns is that more product will be released downstream by the mining companies themselves, and that large sub divisions may eventually even supply and demand, and erode rents. I understand there is a large men's quarters going up in Blackwater. And much of the land in these towns is leasehold to the mining companies. The other risk is how much growth one might see in the next 10 years. THough I remain confident on coal exports.

But then, as you suggest, there's no risk if one builds and sells immediately... :)

Do you know what the latest is regarding the MacCarthur Coal coking plant at Stanwell outside Rocky?

A lot of the mining companies are not as desperate to build new properties as you'd think. Though many of the towns were originally built by the mining companies, a lot of the housing stock was sold off to wages employees and they now only house their staff. Staff numbers have increased with the boom but only enough to take up the excess housing stock (it is mainly contractors and some wages employees that have expanded in numbers). There may be some requirement for them to build extra housing (I'm thinking about Moranbah here, this isn't the case in Blackwater yet) but I can't imagine it would be too extensive. As for releasing stock, I think they have already offloaded a significant amount in the previous trough and there would have to be a fairly big downturn for them to offload any more.

As far as further subdivisions, the council in Blackwater at least is having a lot of problems getting Qld DNRM approval so if you have a short to mid term approach to building and reselling, I see very little downside risk. Long-term there is obviously a lot more potential for some downside. Hard to tell if we are at a peak but we are definitely closer to it than it was two years ago.

With regards to the coke plant at Stanwell, I doubt I have any more info than what you've heard in the news. However, my understanding is that they aren't very labour intensive so I can't see it directly affecting housing demand although coke plants obviously affect coking coal demand. They are also very costly to shut down once started so demand for coking coal should remain fairly high if more are built.

Todd

I was scoping in Moranbah yesterday and was surprised at the amount of development that is being undertaken. It is the first time I have visited there and was surprised at the array of shops, Coles, Target country and numerous small shops in the town square.

-The Single Persons Quarters are being expanded
-More asphalt is being laid with surveyors pegs in turf at the easternmost end of Mills Ave and saw that dixonhomes/tamawood seemed to have a presence in the town.

The prices listed were around $350-400K for a new place - I had to prop myself up against a strong tree...

My wife was cranky because she is afraid I'll drag her there to live - so please come down prices - for rent and PPROR! :)

Cheers
J

For the last 20yrs digging for the earth's bounty was unrewarding. Resource companies simply faded and died, but the worm has turned.

Today they can sell at a profit but you need a skilled workforce before you can do so and those with the skills are being paid rates which Sydneycyders once thought could not be matched outside "The City". Anyone who can pass a daily drug/alcohol test (0/0) and be fit enough to work 12hrs a day with no 'sickies" is rolling in it.

So; While the company pays the "fly-in/fly-out" costs, the travel time is part of the miner's break so they want to live closer to the mines. But miners are no longer willing to live like pigs so comfortable digs in mining areas will be at a premium for at least a decade ( or at least according to this guru) Guru? Who said..... Guru?

With regard to Blackwater, I can't see the prices heading south for some time. People are queued up waiting for rentals. What's available for sale certainly isn't pretty for the price, but very few blocks are available to build on, and building turns out to be drawn out and more expensive than you'd think.
Our 2 1/2 years here have seen building blocks increase from $5000 to $50000 (hit $60 000 6 months ago when one of the mining companies bought about 10 blocks - obviously short of accom. for their own). House we lived in was put on the market 2 years ago for $73 000 - didn't buy it, thought no way it was worth that - recently listed at $170 000 and has since sold. Boo hoo.
We bought 2 blocks of land. The second one we are at the floor system stage of a duplex. The first one we relocated a house to, which we have recently moved into. We actually expected to move in about six months ago. The main hold up was the electrical side of things. The house needed rewiring and the electrician we had lined up several months in advance had a look and wasn't happy to do the job due to the poor clean up job by those who removed the asbestos roof. I wish I was an electrician! Impossible to get one in town, kept getting promises from one in Emerald, ended up getting one from Gladstone, who came and partly did the job then was never sighted again, so back to begging the Emerald one.
There seemed to be holdups at every stage, so building is not a quick, cheap option out here. I noticed a couple of caravan type villas moved onto a block months ago and thought they will be in use quickly, that's the way to go, but they are still just sitting there. I don't know if its a plumbing or electrical or other holdup but it has led to the owner missing out on heaps of rent. Another thing is everybody seems to be out for all they can get. With only one cement crowd in town they charge well. Maybe I'm stingy but from concreting, fencing, to floor polishing and handrails everyone well and truly makes a grab for your hard earned money. Which leads me to conclude that buying one of the very average houses for $200 000 doesn't seem so bad after all.
tondon

Back