Property Investing - boring and lonly

Hi The Analyst,

I think I can definitly understand where you're coming from! Even though we've got plenty of friends and family, none are interested in property investing - so we still find that part of our life (which is a MAJOR part) - quite lonely! I'm not from this country either - so I have no "contacts" - and I keep bugging Geoff that he really needs to know an electrician, plumber, builder, etc- but no luck. I still find it fun though. What a challenge to make all these contacts/team from scratch! We're getting there - but it certainly is much more difficult then other obstacles I've tackled - the lack of support/interest from others is something I've never encountered before - and it gets to the point you don't even mention it to your family/friends, which is secluding you even more! Never ending cycle , eh? I think this forum, and others like it can certainly help you to remember that you are not alone though!

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jen

People would often say to me that property investing is a people’s game. It took me a while to understand that because I thought it was more important sitting behind my computer looking for that next great deal. Although this is important when I realized that successful property investing came down to, not only strategy and statistics but also personal interaction, my life became a cartoon, action movie and drama all rolled into one. I am now surrounded by some of the most bizarre, funny and amazing things.

Instead of now sitting behind the computer for most of my day I might pop on down to our development site and catch up with the workmen, get great tips and have a good laugh. Then I might bump into my spiteful neighbor and listen to him spilling his venom for a while and have the chance to calm his nerves down. I’ll then go get a coffee, go back to my computer, call a bunch of agents (some or which are like fiction characters) and look for the next great deal.

Is property investing boring? I guess it’s all about how you look at it. :D :eek: ;)

Since last year oct, I have so far renovated 3 houses (the 4th on the way), sold one, 3 new constructions on the way now, and buying one new block now. I am pretty much occupied but just feel it is boring, and lonly.

Life is like a web, when you in it, you want out; when you are out, you want to get in it.

Angelo said:
Is property investing boring? I guess it’s all about how you look at it.
Hi ya TA.

By reading your post, it doesn't sound like your life is too boring.

Could be just a rut (for the moment)?

Was thinking it may just be your mindset. You could have what others consider to be 'the best job in the world', but if you don't believe it is, then it never will be. Maybe a motivational book/CD/tape may help.

As Angelo says, it depends on how you look at your situation.

Regards
Marty

Hi all,

Maybe you could find an older retired trady sort of person who is happy to tag along in your day.

There are heaps of retired but reasonably healthy old blokes bored stiff, maybe you could meet some at the local bowling club and get talking.

Invite them along when doing an inspection just for a look, my dear old Mum used to love looking at houses, used to take her along with me just for a day out.

If you don't have an old person in your life it is hard to realise that they get so bored, just ask, it is surprising how often they will jump at the opportunity to "go somewhere"........... "go anywhere"........ "do something"........

HI The Analyst,

I can relate to what you are saying. Property investing does get boring.

I have never worked full time and found my passion in property in 2000.

After purchasing the 1st ( it was so much fun) I then started to get bored.
So I bought another, and another and another etc.

I had a lot of fun and it was never boring until November 05 .

After 7 properties I knew I could not take on any more financially and really started to get bored and irritable during the day.

I can honestly say that after 7 years of property, I have had enough.
The passion is well and truly gone, hence the reason why i have not posted for a long time.

I might find the passion again in a couple of years but for now am happy to sit and wait. There is not much else to do but that.

So January of this year, I stumbled across a fantastic business that involves Jewellery and party plan and it is the best thing to have happened to me.

I interact with different people everyday and the social interaction is exactly what I needed and was looking for.

The business is growing from strength to strength and I am now a Senior Sales Leader with 40 members in my downline.
The bonus cheques are amazing and are funding my negative gearing and my sales are extra on top.

I am going overseas for the very first time to Mexico, Las Vegas and LA through the company all expenses paid.

So for now I have found my calling. I have a renewed zest for life. I wake up every morning with a spring in my step and life is fun again.

So to The Analyst, you need to find something that will renew your passion for life again.
Life will be fun again. Just keep searching and looking and it will come when you least expect it.

Reactions: Les
Lonely and boring, eh....I spent two years at home daytrading my own account. It was the most alienating, frustrating, soullless and boring experience of my life.

This was in two single year stints. Each time I would start I would trade up my account to a huge fortune in a matter of weeks then bleed the whole thing back to zero over the next several months - it was crazy!

What I learnt from that experience is that i'm a people person and need daily social interaction in my life. In hindsight I probably sabotaged my trading subconsciously because I didn't want to be alone at home anymore despite the fact I was profitable. My subconscious had probably determined that if I had no account to trade with I would be forced back into the workforce and daily social interaction.

Now I laugh in disbelief when I see shameless share trading promoters trying to pass off daytrading as a glamorous, carefree lifestyle that requires minimal effort and involvement.

I like challenge (wrong spelling) in my life. I always like change even when I am in a very desirable situation. Do not know why?

Some of you have spoken like myself, my personality, my work now etc. Since last year oct, I have so far renovated 3 houses (the 4th on the way), sold one, 3 new constructions on the way now, and buying one new block now. I am pretty much occupied but just feel it is boring, and lonly.

It is very difficult to find same minded people to associate with. I do not even dare to tell people I am investing in property because people would think you are very rich (but not). I have picked up a lot of skills on renovation. But now I am thinking of not doing it anymore. What a waste of time and energy.

Ask me to back to previous job --- I could not because I could not cope 9-5 job; part time job, maybe but not attracted into it. Maybe doing some other business, or do some big projects...

Life is like a web, when you in it, you want out; when you are out, you want to get in it.
Dear theAnalyst,

1. Do you truly know what exactly that you want for yourself and your own family in this life?

2. As for me, the process of learning, as well as the process self-discovery is a life-long continuous self-learning process.

3. As a full-time property investor, this property investing process is in fact, a spiritual life journey for myself, in/of itself:- a life-long ongoing process of discovering who/what I am and who/what I am not, of knowing how to live my own life to its fullest potential and how to better serve the world/others through/with my own earthly life.

4. When and where there is new knowledge and new life experiences gained whereby we have achieved insightful self-learning, I find that I derive much life satisfaction, self-fulfillment, self-development, self-growth and enjoyment in life.

5. I suspect that you, like a few others investors facing similar life challenge, may have unknowingly "over-worked" yourself too hard or/and get "too (emotionally) involved" in the property renovations activities/process per se, such that you will seem to lose out on your own initial life passions such as in the process of self-creation, self-expression, serving others etc which are also associated through property investing process per se.

6. Perhaps, you may want to consider taking some time out from the property renovation per se, to do some positive "self-talk"/review about your own life/meaning of life and how you can show self-appreciation for the good work that you have done/achieved so far, and how it had added value and make life better for the other people around you.

7. You may also want to take this break so as to fully re-charge yourself before resuming on your house renovation work further.

8. I believe that your own initial life passions has been a major part of your own life-force in embarking on this property investing/renovation process in first place.

9. What exactly is this initial "magical tick" that is able to fully "energise" you into property investing, in the first place?

10.... If you truly know the answer and are able to further re-invent itself to make it relevant and as inspiring as it has been for yourself previously, I believe that you will find your own true answer to your present boredom and sense of feeling isolated in your property investing process.

11. Perhaps, you may have unknowingly grown to realise that human/social relationship is but also one of basic integral components of your own personal life force too and one which is also essential for your own personal happiness and life-satisfaction.

12. I do not have the real answer for you:- however, I firmly believe that only you will know the true answer(s) for yourself in due course once you are willing to invest the required time to quietly reflect and review your own life in the mean time.

13. For your kind update, please.

14. Thank you

regards,
Kenneth KOH

So January of this year, I stumbled across a fantastic business that involves Jewellery and party plan and it is the best thing to have happened to me.

I interact with different people everyday and the social interaction is exactly what I needed and was looking for.

The business is growing from strength to strength and I am now a Senior Sales Leader with 40 members in my downline.
The bonus cheques are amazing and are funding my negative gearing and my sales are extra on top.

I am going overseas for the very first time to Mexico, Las Vegas and LA through the company all expenses paid.

So for now I have found my calling. I have a renewed zest for life. I wake up every morning with a spring in my step and life is fun again.

So to The Analyst, you need to find something that will renew your passion for life again.

Life will be fun again. Just keep searching and looking and it will come when you least expect it.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Marina,

1. Congratulations for "re-discovering" your true "SELF" back again!

2. I am also wondering if you happen to realise for yourself or/and ask yourself if this is indeed a sort of life pattern for yourself or not -- i.e a need to drastically change in certain aspects of your own life once every 7 years -- to "renew" your own initial life passions?

3. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

at the end of the day i would rather be lonley bored and sad whilst making decent money than pushing trolleys. I would just restrict your hours to 9 to 5 like any other job and develop your social life - work to live not vice versa

Thanks for sincere posts, in particular those with their own experience.

Charttv, 2-3 years ago, I started trading as you did. I made about $30k in 2 months. Then get excited and thought I was genuis in trading, and started losing. Then I got bored and did not want to do the trading. I bought $65k shares of one mining company. After a month the company went to voluntary administration (their share was $1 / per share, and gone on Monday). The directors were misleading the market (the case is at the court now on class action, hopefully I could get some penuts back). So far I have dared to tell me wife (shame myself). Planned to trade again when I get these penuts back.

JenD, thanks for sharing.

Kissfan, totally agree with you. Sometimes I have got a dream job. My old colleges probably still work hard to pay off their mortage, and worry one day they lose their jobs.

Kenneth, thanks for your thought. I do have some of your thoughts in my mind. But the loness and boredness is very hard to spell out. Certainly money can not buy them.

Marrina, thanks. I am on your track (thoughts). When I get my portfolio restructured, I am planning to do some other business. But I do not want to be employed by someone else, rather than employ someone else for me.

I have been thinking to form a property association (non profit orgnisation) for those same minded people --- not like Investors Club, to help each other.

I find not alone when I am here.

Thats sounds like gambling, not trading.

I would take the boredom of property investing over having my stake parked in a speccy, though if you hit the right number on the wheel then I'm sure the payoff is nice.

Have to say I have a totally different attitude to this. I don't want excitement in money making activities: boring, methodical, profitable activities for me.

If I want excitement and fun, I go out with friends, go to museums, shows, travel, read books, whatever. To be, excitement in investing means risk, and I'm not interested in taking risk just for the fun of it.
Alex

I think what I understand of TA’s posts is that he’s not so much talking about investment being boring but more that investors’ lives can be fraught with loneliness and boredom. (sorry if I got it wrong, TA)

I think loneliness and boredom is common among the “have made it”, whether or not they are investors.

The “have made it” have already achieved what most people in the workforce are struggling or trying to achieve, they either have enough passive income to fund them for the rest of their lives or they have the skills (e.g. trading) to acquire funds to not have to worry about money for the rest of their lives. Hence, this group of people don’t “need” a job money wise. Many quit work for this reason.

I have been thinking about this “what now” dilemma quite a fair bit in the past year or so. What I am beginning to understand is that Western societies in general are a very lonely society compared to the Europeans’ and the Asians’.

The Europeans and the Asians generally have large network of families and friends that they hang out with to ward off loneliness. One only need to go to the Europeans and the Asians communities (Springvale in Melbourne is a good example) to witness this, and this is evident among the seniors as well, especially Asians seniors.

Mostly, human are social animals, we need social contact, otherwise loneliness and boredom set in and that doesn't do anyone’s morale any good.

I like challenge (wrong spelling) in my life. I always like change even when I am in a very desirable situation. Do not know why?

Yep, can relate to that one .....

Some of you have spoken like myself, my personality, my work now etc. Since last year oct, I have so far renovated 3 houses (the 4th on the way), sold one, 3 new constructions on the way now, and buying one new block now. I am pretty much occupied but just feel it is boring, and lonly.

I wouldn't have thought you'd have too much time for being lonely with all that activity - sounds like you've been keeping busy, none the less.

It is very difficult to find same minded people to associate with. I do not even dare to tell people I am investing in property because people would think you are very rich (but not). I have picked up a lot of skills on renovation. But now I am thinking of not doing it anymore. What a waste of time and energy.

Well, you're in WA. Anytime you want to come over to SA to talk about property, yell out - I'll listen :) Heck, we can even reno some properties together, whatever. Perhaps you need to find some people in WA you can bounce ideas off etc?

Andrew.

Hey Analyst
You gotta get outa ya comfort zone.
Howzabout combining work and social - doorknock a suburb where you want to invest and look for a listing like the agents do. Tell 'em you're not an agent, you're looking for yourself 'cause it's such a nice neighbourhood. Ask them about their neighbourhood, they'll talk to you all day, might find a bargain, a new interesting project (JV ?) and a new friend or 2.
cheers
crest133

Thanks Agleave. I wish you were in Perth and we may be able to team up do something big.

Thanks Crest133, good idea and will keep it in mind

Back