Property Investor Trust - The Facts

“I have spoken to Chris Batten about the Property Investor Trust (PIT) and with Chris’s permission have reproduced an email I have received from Chris today.

Dear Nick
I have seen the PIT Deed and can confirm that it is a hybrid discretionary trust that has the ability to direct income to discretionary beneficiaries that would otherwise go to Income Unitholders under the deeds you currently source. The problem is that the ATO MAYapportion the interest in line with IT2684 and Fletcher & Ors v. FC of T 91 ATC 4538 at 4957. The hybrid discretionary trust has many benefits for property investors and to push the limits whereby the arrangement becomes artificial and contrived is asking for trouble from the ATO.

Regarding the alleged land tax savings as a result of CPT Custodian Pty Ltd v Commissioner of State Revenue; Commissioner of State Revenue v Karingal 2 Holdings Pty Ltd [2005] HCA 53, the promises made by the marketeers of the PIT are just plainly incorrect. The OSR, for reasons unknown to me, have been assessing unit trusts as non-special trusts and therefore allowing the exemption. I have always indicated that the OSR could assess a unit trust as a special trust in accordance with the definition contained in section 3A of the Land Tax Management Act 1956. I understand that Ed Chan advocates clients set up a separate unit trust for each property purchased in NSW to enable the client to get the land tax threshold for each property. I spoke recently to some senior people at the OSR and after consultation with the State Government Treasury Officials the OSR will be assessing unit trusts as special trusts from 31 December 2006. This means that unit trusts will no longer receive the exemption. The OSR have indicated they will have no interest in who holds the units in the unit trust.

I would strongly suggest you advise your clients of the above land tax changes as it may affect their decision to proceed with a unit trust/hybrid trust structure. I understand Ed Chan is NOT advising clients of this as he either doesn’t know or wants to sell more trusts. Whichever it is it is not good for the clients as they will receive an unpleasant surprise when they receive their next land tax assessment.

If you have time have a look at my recent show as I interviewed Ed regarding the PIT and you will get a chuckle when you hear his response to my question of how the PIT works. He said

“So rather than me getting into the nitty gritty I might be saying something that’s technically not right because I’m not really in that space.”

It’s very dangerous to advise clients of the state and federal tax consequences of a particular structure when your “not really in that space”.

Regards
Chris Batten”

Hi Nick

That is brilliant and thank you soooo much for allowing us all to see Chris Batten's advice.

You are a champion!

Dale

Sensational reply from respected experts in the field. Exactly what we've been waiting for here on this forum. Great to see Chris Batten's thoughts on the PIT, clearly a leader in the field of asset protection in Australia.

NickM quoting Chris Batten said:
“If you have time have a look at my recent show as I interviewed Ed regarding the PIT and you will get a chuckle when you hear his response to my question of how the PIT works. ”

Which show is this?

Tony

Hey Nick,

thanks for that - fantastic reading.

I never had any interest in the PIT anyhow because my motto is to keep things simple and less likely to be challenged.

Great stuff - Gordon

Chris and I - along with Coasty Mike and Dale just want to ensure that our clients (and you guys) receive the right information.

Unfortunately, we saw a cloak and dagger approach where information was not being readily provided.

Mike and I have been in contact with Chris frequently in relation to this matter and if Ed had a product that he put out in the open (that worked) we would be the first to give him credit.

The fact that he would not provide a copy of the deed concerned me.

Its the old saying that if it sounds too good to be true it generally is.

You should all try and gain an understanding of the structures you purchase and use. You are not expected to be accountants but ultimately you will be responsible.

Dont worry, like most of you i came home to my land tax bill as well :mad:

NickM

Hi

I hope that everyone has given you Kudos points for this, Nick. You have gone to a lot of trouble for the forum's benefit and it is the least that we can all do to say thank you.

So, come on....if you have not given Nick judos yet, please do so NOW!

Dale

Nick, thank you very much for sharing this vital information.

I am often asked by my clients what I think about the PIT vs the HDT used by yourself and Dale; from now one I only have to point them to this post.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

NickM said:
As I stated guys, it was Chris Batten who worked on this not me.

I am just passing on the info !

Nick

Nick

If Chris was posting this , he'd get kudos, but he's not , so you'll have to wear the blame ...:D

See Change

Great Post and research-

Clears the air somewhat, Interestingly the Investors at Somersoft all wanted more information before using this type of structure, its great to see everyone conducting thier due diligence before moving forward.

One of the best things about Somersoft IMHO is the quality and experience of the members (everything from Accountants, to builders, developers, tradesmen and Investors of various levels)

Great Site and a wealth of knowledge

REDWING

Back