Property Investor Trust - The Facts

anon , anon

Chris Batten said:
Can someone tell me why I seem to be the only person posting under my real name? Is this a no no on forums?

Chris Batten

Welcome to the forum Chris.

No you're not the only one , but it's more common amongst people who have a professional standing that's relevant to property investing. Peter Spann , Steve Navra and several of the mortgage brokers use their full name, while some use abbreviations with their complete name identified by attached links / signitures eg , NickM and DaleGG.

Having said that , amongst the anon's on the forum , many of regular forumites know each other and meet on a reasonably regular basis , socially and at organised meetigs like the SIG , MIG or BIG eg http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24251. S

If you have a look at the Meeting point it lists get togethers.

See Change

Chris Batten said:
I have NOT provided Chan and Naylor with a testimonial from myself.

If Grego is correct and there is a testimonial in the recent booklet handed out by Chan and Naylor they are using my name without permission.

Chris Batten

Hi Chris and nice to see you here :)
The trouble with testimonials is that sometimes people misuse, make up or simply take extreme liberties in order to make themselves look better, through the use of fabricated references. I'm sure it happens quite frequently across many professions. I'm only sorry that you have been misrepresented in this way. Not a nice thing to have happen to anybody.
Thanks for sharing your information here with us all.

Thanks Chris for your reply

If you are considering setting up such a structure ask as many questions as possible, get a good understanding and seek a second opinion
Should I be speaking to a solicitor or accountant first to determine what structure best suits me?

Can I "will" properties to a trust?

Cheers
Greg

Can someone tell me why I seem to be the only person posting under my real name? Is this a no no on forums?

Some people like to remain annonomous. Maybe it protects them from their exes finding out about the hidden stash of IPs :D :D

hi chris
yes it is good to see you here and I have had alook at your site
as for names mine is very simple it something that I do.
it wouldn't fit in the window gross realisation lending and I'm sure you understand what this is.
names are names and its not that important,
the main part of the game is what the person know not what he/she is called.
maybe change your name to trustman ?? would the information change.
no
I'm not one to tell people how to suck eggs and we need people that understand trusts and can field questions and cata has been a great source of this information.
so yes I look forward to see your posts.
and you may find as most people have found on these boards that you may need to read my posts more then once to work them out.
but thats why these open boards are so usefull.

Chris,

Glad to see that you have clarified that for the forum. Don't know why we all use pseudonyms. Maybe we are all secretly hiding something or we deeply wish we were members of ASIO.

Oh and if you decide to put a pic up I'm sure the male members would much prefer one of Rickie than yourself. No disrespect but not much comparison. For those who want a laugh the first time I met Chris I told him that I thought the woman doing his weekly tax presentation was "hot" (yes the exact words i used). To which Chris casually replied "ohh that's my wife". I understood the term "foot in mouth" at that time.

Mark Laszczuk said:
*Puts ahnd up*

I post under my real name too!

Mark
Me too!!! ;)

Chris, welcome to the forums and thanks for the excellent information that nick posted in the original post of this thread.

I'm off to see Nick soon to get my own HDT/UT established.

Cheers,
Michael.

Poison Property

Chris Batten,

Would you like to share your idea of "poison property" with the forumites with respect to using the Unit Trust + Hybrid Discretionary Trust Structure as opposed to only using a Hybrid Discretionary Trust?

GSJ

Looks like there is a bit of animosity between Chan & Taylor and Chris Batten. Obviously they are both competing in the same space.

I am surprised they did not post their response on the somersoft forum through.

Cheers,

It appears Ed Chan and his lawyers are getting confused over their own product. On the Q&A page of Chan & Naylor website at point 4 Ed says “The Property trust gave them a land tax savings of around $6,000 per annum until recently.” His lawyer Greg Vale states in his letter “the PIT has always been a special trust within the meaning of section 3A of the Land Tax Management Act 1956 (NSW)”. So which one is it? Has the PIT always been a special trust as per Ed’s lawyer or was it not a special trust until recently as per Ed. Maybe Ed’s lawyers are correct and Ed just got confused because he is not in that space.

I spoke to Chris today and he apologises for the typo with regards the land tax changes. He was well aware the changes took affect from 31 December 2005. Like many of us he makes typos too. He has provided me with a transcript of his interview with Ed. Chris started the interview talking about what Chan & Naylor are doing regarding franchising their practice and then following Ed mentioning the PIT Chris asked him about the product.

I have asked Chris if he will respond to the material put up by Chan & Naylor and he indicated that he would prefer to answer constructive questions regarding unit/hybrid and discretionary trusts as opposed to respond to trust deeds being described as the difference between Coke and Pepsi or the 11 secret herbs and spices. As Ed said on his website “he (Chris) spent most of his time on the PIT quite determined to find out what was IN the TRUST DEED (our secret herbs and spices)”. Chris has informed me he has a copy of the trust deed. He did indicate, however, he is not aware of the 11 herbs and spices that go into making Kentucky Fried Chicken.

It appears there could be some sort of food fetish or some very clever product placement in the marketing. Maybe Chan & Naylor have a joint venture with Pepsi, Coca Cola and KFC as some part of a viral marketing campaign. With regards to knowing how to handle a porsche well Chris and I both have porsches (mind you Chris with a 911 beats the boxster) so we are well versed in how to handle high performance machines.

Hahahahaha oh man, this PIT just seems to get shadier and shadier. Thanks once again to Chris and others for posting clear, concise information in regards to this product. It seems to me that it is not so much that Chris is 'competing' with C&N for business, but rather than C&N just don't seem to be willing to be open about their product.

Which makes me think 'Why?'. What is it about the product that makes it so cloak and dagger? Okay fair enough they have a special trust deed that is different. But when people ask them questions that may poke holes in their glorious trust, they seem more interested in ignoring the queries rather than defending their own product.

Mark

coastymike said:
It appears there could be some sort of food fetish or some very clever product placement in the marketing. Maybe Chan & Naylor have a joint venture with Pepsi, Coca Cola and KFC as some part of a viral marketing campaign. With regards to knowing how to handle a porsche well Chris and I both have porsches (mind you Chris with a 911 beats the boxster) so we are well versed in how to handle high performance machines.

I'd been told that Chris drove a Ferrari...:confused:

Porsches are SO ubiquitious in Sydney...how can I have any respect for his tax opinions now??? *grin* :p :D

N.

I don't understand why everyone is bickering?

I thought Dale Gatherum-Goss, Ed Chan, Steve McKnight, Geoff Doidge, Michael Yardney etc were all friends?

They were recently holding seminars and workshops together and backing each other up. Michael Yardney sems pretty quiet on this thread since i last remember he was defending the PIT.

Back