Property Portfolio Cashflow Survey

What is your year cash flow from properties?

• Greater than negative 50k CF per annum - eeekkk!!

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Negative 30k-40k CF per annum - ouch!!!

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Negative 10k-30k CF per annum - groaannnn!!!!

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Neutral or Negative CF up to 10k per annum

Votes: 44 37.6%
  • Positive CF up to 10k per annum

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Positive 10k-20k CF per annum

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Positive 20k-30k CF per annum

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Positive 30k-50k CF per annum

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Positive 50k-75k CF per annum - partner retired from work

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Greater than 75k CF Positive - unending Tim Tims here I come!

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
about 5k negative, before tax return. LVR about 60%

no vote category

EDIT: Yes there is JC, learn to read !

Last edited:
I am surprised that in this interest rate environment, LVR's aside, 11 out of 18 people are still in negative cash flow :confused:

Hi Buzz,

Some of us are unable to refinance in this market as values have dropped or income has been reduced.

Some of us have loans with non-banks that were only too happy to raise IR's by more points than the RBA and then as the RBA dropped IR's, these banks have not dropped their IR's as much.

Not everyone has had the advantages of the Big Banks and a few of us are stuck with ridiculous exit fees.

Personally, I am negative by about $2500/year. Fixing that with a refi and I will be cashflow positive. I voted neutral.

Regards Jo

Jo, yes, that makes sense. I should stop automatically thinking everyone has been the beneficiaries of reduced interest rates ie those on fixed rates.

However taking that into account. I still would have expected more people to be neutral/positive.

Hi, maybe a lot of people didn't vote.
I'm in the 50-70K +ve category, about 40%LVR, mainly because I sold down to retire.

I'm considering the unthinkable - borrow a million more to buy +ve cf properties.

Now, if the banks will come to the party ...

KYL....it was getting lonely in that category (50-70k).....but I am far from retirement....LOL!:p

I like you am looking to shoot a dog or two in my portfolio and buy some bluechip stuff!

In Sydney...they looking like bargains!

I am bit surprise very people on this site use the CF+ strategies....the ones I know are myself, KPL(?), Nathan, any others??

Hi, maybe a lot of people didn't vote.
I'm in the 50-70K +ve category, about 40%LVR, mainly because I sold down to retire.

I'm considering the unthinkable - borrow a million more to buy +ve cf properties.

Now, if the banks will come to the party ...

Hi Sash, I've been reading your posts & love them. Very sensible.

I shot a few dogs last year, just in time, I think. They weren't exactly bad buys but would need more work than my brittle bones can stand.

It's like standing at the cross roads again. Which way forward? Straight ahead is shares, left is more property, right is saving more cash.

If I just stood there, I might turn into a pillar of salt or get hit by a truck behind me.

KY

OK,

Fessing up here... ;)

-$25K pa cash flow pre negative gearing cash back, and a third of that is NSW land tax!

LVR a touch under 60%

*edit* Oh, but I live rent free and some of that interest bill is PPOR. So, if I allow the opportunity cost of renting the same at $650pw then I end up cash flow positive by $8,500pa. All a bit tricky... *end edit*

Cheers,
Michael

not into telling stories that much
basically, reasonably high earning but invest like a low earner
5 incomes
1)buy well 10-50% below valuation - usually around 20-25%, i know my market well, better than most agents in areas i invest
2)cash flow positive usually 3-5% yield ABOVE the average because of 1) in the first place, improve and jack up yield, i treat tenants as customers and don't be an a$$hole to them
3)capital appreciation - enuff research, having the eye, most have actually surprised me, because of cashflow i was happy with 4-6% cap appreciation, some have gone up 50% in 2-3 years and i was like wtf.....
4) depreciation - a lowly factor, i buy older houses, but looking for good new house deals i.e morgagees etc where u basicaally can get land for almost free
5)basic cosmetic improvement + renovation

Simple principle
1)Passion and commitment
2)Hard work never killed anyone provided you're happy
3)Rinse and repeat
4)Thick skin
5)The more you push the boundaries the more the possibilities there are
6)K.I.S.S
7)Don't think you're better or smarter than you are even if others tell that you are. Be humble to yourself and know your limitations.

Thats all. Not interested to be featured or interviewed in case anyone might ask. My figures are not BS either. My lifestyle has'nt changed one iota even when my net worth increased 20X.

Back