Property Shows

The British put out heaps of property shows and 2 of my favourites are Property Ladder with Sarah Beeny and Selling Houses with Andrew Winter.

Andrew Winter did an Aussie version called Selling Houses - Australia. It's starting on the Lifestyle channel 23rd April at 7.30pm followed by the newest series of Property Ladder at 8.30pm.

Both are must see shows if you are into buying, doing up and selling houses.

Cheers
Olly

Wish there was an Aussie version of Property Ladder!

Yep, like those two.

Also really into Location Location, with Kirstie Alsop (sp?) and Phil Spencer. The twist on the theme with Relocation is good too, where they help people do the "sea-change" thing, with a home in the Irish countryside and a London flat for eg.

The other good show for day-dreaming is Grand Designs, and you get to watch people blow 40K pounds just coz they want "curved glass sliding doors!!" :eek:

Chris

Yep, like those two.

Also really into Location Location, with Kirstie Alsop (sp?) and Phil Spencer. The twist on the theme with Relocation is good too, where they help people do the "sea-change" thing, with a home in the Irish countryside and a London flat for eg.

The other good show for day-dreaming is Grand Designs, and you get to watch people blow 40K pounds just coz they want "curved glass sliding doors!!" :eek:

Chris

Seems like you're as hooked as I am on these shows! :p I've even gone as far as to burn all these shows to DVD and have quite a library of them now.

I watch the ones you mentioned as well as Build a New Life, Dream Homes & Homes Under The Hammer (How To channel). And a series that screened recently which I thoroughly enjoyed was How To Be A Property Developer. Two couples (2 x males & 2 x females) pitted against each other to see who could do the best in 6 months. Given 250K pounds to do it with. No losses had to be paid back but they got to keep the profits they made.

Apart from the property money making angle of these shows, they show such a wide diversity of projects/buildings. I just love all the different architecture and scenery.

And they are not limited to their own country. They have the luxury of ducking over to all the European countries whether it be to buy property or buy bathroom fittings! And in the Grand Design series you often hear them say they got their windows from Germany, wooden exterior from Sweden and so on. Amazing!

Olly

i love these shows, and am glued to the screen whenever i visit friends with foxtel ... but ... i refuse to get foxtel at home as i'd never actually get any work done.

i'd be to busy watching all the great house and garden show.

The same guy who did "How To Be a Property Developer" - Gary McCausland - has another one on now that I'm loving, "Property Developing Abroad". It's on in the wee hours on Monday mornings I think (thank heavens for IQ).

that's where she bites her lip.

she offers the 'would be' developers sound advice and they always seem to do the opposite to what she says ... then she bites her lip instead of ripping into them as bloody idiots !

Attachments

• sarah_beeny.jpg
    sarah_beeny.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 140
Admittedly her hair isn't that flash in those photos, but don't take the worst one and not put in the better ones......

Attachments

• SarahBeeny_pl5b_lg.jpg
    SarahBeeny_pl5b_lg.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 148
  • SarahBeeny_pl5_sm.jpg
    SarahBeeny_pl5_sm.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 370
Hi there, is there any chance of obtaining copies of your DVDs?

I can't seem to do it as I've tried before. I make the DVD's on my combo DVD recorder attached to the TV, then delete the show off my IQ. I've tried to make copies of my 'TV' DVD's via the computer and it has always failed. I've tried using different software and different methods to do it but I always end up with a DVD that a DVD player doesn't recognise. I've even been on tech forums looking for help and they haven't come up with anything I haven't already tried.

It's annoying because I'd like to make copies of some of the other DVD's I've got via the TV too.

Olly

that's where she bites her lip.

she offers the 'would be' developers sound advice and they always seem to do the opposite to what she says ... then she bites her lip instead of ripping into them as bloody idiots !
So true - they get access to somebody with vast experience giving them personalised advice about how to maximise profits and through sheer arrogance assume that they know better. :confused: Some of them are so stupid!

Though I think the sisters who re-did the Art Deco house in Poole with the pink and lilac kitchen take the cake... they were the biggest bimbos I think I've ever seen! And the average valuation ended up being over 30,000 pounds than what they'd spent. :eek:

So true - they get access to somebody with vast experience giving them personalised advice about how to maximise profits and through sheer arrogance assume that they know better. :confused: Some of them are so stupid!

Though I think the sisters who re-did the Art Deco house in Poole with the pink and lilac kitchen take the cake... they were the biggest bimbos I think I've ever seen! And the average valuation ended up being over 30,000 pounds than what they'd spent. :eek:

Yes they were ditsy weren't they! As was the yoga girl the other day who had crystals put under the floor and oriented the bed so it had to go in the middle of the room blah blah. I wanted to slap her!
As for money stupid (as opposed to decor stupid) I don't think you can go past the couple who turned a space above and next to a pub into a top spec exec pad and couldn't sell for any profit, when Sara said that approach was all wrong for that area and suggested making it into 2 x studio flats and a proper flat at the rear with outside patio to make 150k pound profit!!

Olly

Yes they were ditsy weren't they! As was the yoga girl the other day who had crystals put under the floor and oriented the bed so it had to go in the middle of the room blah blah. I wanted to slap her!
As for money stupid (as opposed to decor stupid) I don't think you can go past the couple who turned a space above and next to a pub into a top spec exec pad and couldn't sell for any profit, when Sara said that approach was all wrong for that area and suggested making it into 2 x studio flats and a proper flat at the rear with outside patio to make 150k pound profit!!

Olly
Yes the yoga girl was also a classic... and that girl "Marigold" who did the flat above the pub - didn't she have the most pretentious, obnoxious toffy accent to top off her complete financial cluelessness? Oh, it's good for a laugh.

Sometimes I think making a profit out of property is relatively easy, and think "gees, why isn't everybody doing this?". Then when I see the level of decision-making of many of the people featured on "Property Ladder", I understand why so many people can't make a profit out of it, and my estimation of my own skill increases significantly :D What I had thought was common sense obviously isn't that common!!!!!

Wow, these shows are great!! We just watched our first episodes.

In both cases, why the hell don't people listen to the experts they bring in!!!!

Watched 'Selling Houses Australia' and the woman didn't want to make any of the changes they suggested. Then, when they finally do and try and bring her house up to the price she's asking - what does she do? Increases the price by another $15k and puts it out of the market again!!! :eek:

'Property Ladder' was even more interesting! Bloody scary how people going into 'developing' with absolutely no idea, no research, and no money to back up their ideas even if they aren't the best ones. One couple came up $40k short of their budget for the reno; "oh well, hopefully we'll find it somewhere" :eek: So then what does he do later in the show, takes vacation from work to manage the reno full time!

Plus they just make really stupid decisions based on what they would like ie. extending a house to have 5br and 2 bth when it's in a street full of retiree houses with 3/1!! And when the host suggests to add an extra living area to make it more attractive to young families (they're target deomgraphic), they say 'no'!!

In both cases, why the hell don't people listen to the experts they bring in!!!!
Yes, infuriatingly frustrating, isn't it? I can't help but wonder how many SSers would behave in the same way. I would hope "not many", but I can't help but wonder...
steveadl said:
Watched 'Selling Houses Australia' and the woman didn't want to make any of the changes they suggested. Then, when they finally do and try and bring her house up to the price she's asking - what does she do? Increases the price by another $15k and puts it out of the market again!!! :eek:
I think they've done this every episode! They've got no idea - don't you just want to reach through the TV, do a Basil Fawlty and smack them on the forehead with the back of a soup spoon? :D

It's like a train wreck, though - you can't look away. :D

Exactly! Nice work on the Basil Fawlty reference too - does make you feel like that! :D

Quite good though - fiance and I were just sitting there exclaiming to ourselves what idiots these people are, so shows we've got our heads screwed on right. It's easy to be an armchair critic, but I honestly don't think we or many at SS could be that arrogant/clueless.

Back