Property – what did you do in 2009? Goals/Plans for 2010!!!

- Completed reno on IP6
- Changed hospitals and now work in recovery
- Purchased IP7 and played around with removing lino glue!
- Got quite upset when my broker told me no more IPs for a while! I will still find a way!!
- Trekked in Nepal
- Trying to get the guts up to reduce to 4 days/wk (like 'full time' work in theory)
- Joined a running club to meet new friends and hopefully train smarter!
- Bought a new car
- Now thoroughly enjoying my holidays and trying to work out how to increase CF so I can continue to reduce hrs at work and concentrate on IP portfolio and having a great life!

- Purchase another IP and/or do some sort of development
- Travel to Sth America / Italy
- Be my friend's maid of honour at her wedding in the Cook Islands!
- Increase my running distances and speed
- Complete cert 4 mortgage broking course
- Start working as a loan writer part time
- Work 4 days/wk at job and allocate hrs to work on IP portfolio
- Create another passive income other than IP rent
- Pay a 2nd deceased estate's tax bill I was not advised to put money away for!!!! Ahhhh!!!

I hope everyone has a great Christmas and NY and you can achieve all of your goals in 2010!

Tarah :D

-Purchased block of 4 units in January on two lots. Got a val 7 months later for a ~20 cg. Increased rents by ~ 30% Looking at building 2 x two story townhouses on the remaining land. Should be cash flow +

-Finished reno on PPOR - took too long(3years) but made 100 % capital gain

-Purchased a new PPOR. An unrenovated queenslander on a 1000 sq which I am doing a reno and subdividing with a view to moving another house onto the block.

-Hope to have the 2nd house on the block by 2nd qtr 2010 for the subdivision
-Reno 2 units 1 qtr 2010
-Options for sub diving another block
-Look for other sub dividing projects to purchase

- purchase IP 2 & 3
- completed small reno's on 2 & 3
- build relationships with local rea's + other IP related contacts (Legal/finance etc)

- Purchase IP 4 & 5 (get some nuts and go interstate)
- Continue to build relationships with people in IP industry
- assist GF to purchase IP 2

2009:
Started off terribly for me work wise and with other personal matters.

Things have improved early October dramatically workwise and with personal matters.

2010:
Hoping to finish off painting and doing other small renovations in my PPOR.
Buying IP1.
Turning PPOR into IP1.
Moving into new place as my PPOR.

2009 - Purchased a property to live in while our PPOR in another location is being rented out. Commenced renovations.
Renovated one flat. 20% return on cost of renovations with increased rental.
2010 - Set up SMSF
Transfer business property to SMSF
Complete renovations on property
Renovate common property and another flat
Purchase development property

Purchased 4 IPs in Melbourne over the last 6 months, currently preparing plans and permits for 8 unit site, should be completed by end of year.
Also plans and permits for 3 unit site.

Sold 3 IPs in Perth to improve cashflow, all should be settled before Xmas.

Just placed an offer on a property in QLD and am looking at another at the moment.

Plans for 2010
Continue purchase cashflow properties or properties that can be onsold for quick profit.
Auction 8 unit site and reinvest money in development site in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney.
Also look at starting to purchase shares from some of the profits from sales of IPs.

Bought IP 1 (off Parents so not really counting it!)
Worked on career
Became a Registered Builder
Bought some shares

By Land and build new PPOR
Go see AC/DC for first time
Start Property Inspection Business
Go to the World Cup
Look for Development Ops
Wait for Shares to go up and buy boat.
Go fishing

Chomp

2009, bought about 12 for my buy hold portfolio, did a couple of flips, secured a fair few for clients.

had a few hurdles along this year, but all in all pretty good.

Buy another 10+ buy/holds, do 10+ buy reno resells. Increase all rents by minimum of 10% by end of calander year.

Finish book and publish - sell 5000 copies by end of the year. Have website setup being fully functional by end of 2010.

We have been busy accumulating---> I think about a dozen or so blocks of land, and almost completed a build on one of those. It's not even had tiles finished in it and offers to rent it coming in. I think because it is so close to the Uni, some teachers trying to get some well presented houses.

It's been fun.

Lots of people to acknowledge in our quest.

That will be IP number 7.

Possibly, all going well, 12 more builds, including mixture of townhouses/bigger houses and units.

As always we have so much to be appreciative of. And proud.

It's all good.

Buy/build well. When you can.:)

2009 -
found this forum and learnt alot.
Exchanged contracts on an IP (to be built).

2010 -
Hopefully settle on said IP
(although settlement has been pushed back repeatedly one month at a time, from it's original Janurary settlement, we are now looking at july/ august - so I won't hold my breath. ROFL. But there's not rush, capital gains are looking good and it's not even built yet.)
Put air-con, a deck, pergola and a few other improvements on our PPOR.

Didn't buy any real estate, which killed me due to the perfect climate earlier in the year. Mainly a year of consolidating and time spent on the process of buying a business.

Bought the business instead, which has been terrific for cashflow.

Our PPoR tenants moved out in July so I could commence renovations on it for the planned sale. This is moving along steadily but slower than I would have liked. The plan was to be ready for market by Dec 1, looks like being around Feb now.

It's activity in real estate for the year to some degree I suppose, and there has been a lot of planning and work behind the scenes for our next PPor design, permits and decisions (not to mention dollars) etc.

It's funny; we thought we'd never leave that house and loved it so much, but now I view it as just another property investing project, to be used to further the next one (next PPoR - and the equity from it will be tapped for the next project or business).

Oh yeah; nearly forgot - had another baby boy in November.

2010 will see a change of tactics for me. From buy and hold to doing some small developments. Partly due to market conditions and partly due to personal circumstances.

I've got an IP on the market now and will sell a block of land early in the new year.
Will be looking for houses on large blocks with subdivision potential to hopefully generate my own growth and so I've always got something to sell to keep liquid.

RC

- Started my first proper full time job
- Moved out of home across the other side of the country after 6 months
- Realised I didn't want to work for someone else the rest of my life
- Read books on share trading, technical analysis - Trading your way to Financial Freedom
- Read Steve McKnight, Robert Kiyosaki
- Found Somersoft / Property Investing.com / AussieStockForum
- Realised I could do this all - saved up some cash
- Found the U.S. property market beckons

- Finalise my business plan and create the relevant structures (Discretionary Trust in Aus / LLC in US)
- Buy some CF+ property for yield (U.S.)
- Likely move to Canberra for work (Federal Government is my current employer)
- Find a higher paying job for cash flow (Not in Canberra ;) )
- Begin my training goal to become a Bodybuilder (I'm tiny)
- Begin my Masters in... either Law or Business, haven't decided.

We'll see how we go... gotta start somewhere hey?

Reno, Start Developing

- Did plans to extend IP2, permit expected any day now
- Bought IP3 with a view to development later on

- Do the actual building for extension on IP2
- Get planning permit for development on IP3 (4x townhouse... or 6 with underground carpark)

2009 - BIG year as our first in the IP game.

Purchased IP 1 with lots of help from this forum. Unit in Docklands, ticking over nicely.

2010 - IP 2 (and 3 would be good), looking at townhouses maybe or a another unit close to home. Keeping it simple (for us) at this point.

Personally, I'd love to re-enter the workforce/real world again after years of nappies and toddlers. Also looking at the Diploma of Financial Planning just for kicks.

2009:
- Read, Read & Read this Forum religiously.
- Realised the potential of leverage.
- Released said equity in IP (ex PPOR) / Growth of 7% P.A since Purchase in 2007.
- Pounded the Pavement at Weekend Auctions, OFI's.
- Enjoyed researching local areas, properties, etc.
- Learnt that when a good opportunity arises, TAKE IT!
- Experienced 'Negotiating' RE first hand :S
- Bought 2nd property (PPOR) in North Melbourne (Settles 10.02.10).
- Made contacts with local RE Agents in local area.
- Met some forum members at local MIG whom also gave me plenty of insight and guidance! =)

- More education.
- Rebuild/Build cash buffer.
- Formulate a solid strategy to move forward (ie. 3rd Property)
- Learn to interpret the numbers better (new deals must be CF+ or as neutral as possible).
- Look into other investment vehicles such as Shares/Managed Funds.
- Enjoy new PPOR and do some simple value add's around the property! =)

Last edited:
2009 - Baby Steps

• paid off all consumer credit - cars - cards etc
  • Purchases PIA software
  • Arranged finances better - PPOR offset soon to be primary savings account
  • Set aside cash for school fees.
  • Prepared a better budget - reducing expenses.

• Set Goal to create a cash safety net - so I can buy Ip1 with less trepidation.
  • Set Goal to buy IP1 sometime in early 2010 March April
  • Miss 5 starts school.

Back