Public & Private schools around Brisbane

Hi Folks,

I have only arrived in Brisbane 4 weeks ago, and I am researching suburbs to buy as my next home. My criteria are close to a train or bus station, and good schools. I have 2 daughters (10 & 7 years old) whom I am trying to enrol them into a private girl school:
1. All Hallows in Bribane CBD fringe
2. St Rita College in Clayfield
3. Loretto College in Coorparoo

Do we have any forum members who send their children to any of the above school? Do they have a good reputation for encouraging and supporting academic excellence?

Are there any other private schools which I can consider?

When I enquired about enrollement at these schools, I was told there will be a waiting list. As a "backup" school while waiting for acceptance into a private school, I was thinking of sending the girls to a public high school.

In Clayfield, the school I am looking at would be Kedron State High.
In Coorparoo, the sschool I am looking at would be Holland Park State High. (near the southern busway station)

Are these public schools also good reputable schools?

ps: my definition of a good school is that it has programs that challenge the brighter kids, the school offers a wide curriculum, and the school has a history of achieving a high turnout of kids who continue onto tertiary education.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Tracy

I reckon that until you get to high school, the need for private school for kids that age is all BS. The diff is not that great in elementary (primary), unless you cop a really bad public school and you'd soon move the kids out if this was the case.

Yeah, people do whack the kids in private primary schools, and high schools for that matter, but a decent kid will do well in any school pretty much - from my experience. I've got mates who went to boarding school at places like Assuption College, Scotch College etc, and it made little diff to their adult life.

But it's all about the parents, and what the Jones think; and scoring "look at me" points IMHO.

Our son went to a public elementary school when we were in L.A - it was the 5th best school in the State of California as it turned out. That'll do me - and it was free into the bargain.

He's now in Dromana Primary - public, and it's bloody fantastic and he loves it.

When he gets to high school age, I'll be sussing out the pubs and privs to see how GOOD they are, and if I can get him into a free public one that has good records, then that'll be where we go.

Why waste money on trying to impress the neighbors? They don't care anyway, and I'd rather spend the savings on a holiday or another IP.

I reckon that until you get to high school, the need for private school for kids that age is all BS. The diff is not that great in elementary (primary), unless you cop a really bad public school and you'd soon move the kids out if this was the case.

Totally agree.

Yeah, people do whack the kids in private primary schools, and high schools for that matter, but a decent kid will do well in any school pretty much - from my experience. I've got mates who went to boarding school at places like Assuption College, Scotch College etc, and it made little diff to their adult life.

Also totally agree.

But it's all about the parents, and what the Jones think; and scoring "look at me" points IMHO.

Totally disagree, well for us anyway. Our local high school is the last place I would have sent my oldest boy, even though it is a school of excellence. The local riff raff also go there, and plenty of problems from them.

We chose our private high school mainly on the fact that if bullied, my son would have more chance of it being addressed properly in the private system. He was bullied, because he is quite and not a rah!! rah!! football loving boy, but rather quiet. Once we got him to agree that we needed to address it, the school dealt with it in ONE DAY. Plenty of schools have bullying policies which are not worth the paper they are written on.

We have no desire to impress the Jones's and, in fact, it is something I hate about the elite schools. They can be breeding grounds for absolute snots, and I know plenty of them. I would have chosen the local public school over one of the elite schools.

When he gets to high school age, I'll be sussing out the pubs and privs to see how GOOD they are, and if I can get him into a free public one that has good records, then that'll be where we go.

Why waste money on trying to impress the neighbors? They don't care anyway, and I'd rather spend the savings on a holiday or another IP.

Actually, our neighbours care very much, and chose the elite schools because the boss's children go there :eek: . Stupid, stupid reason to choose a school, but they are already little snots, so they will fit in just fine :D . Funny thing is that the elite schools they are going to are full of extremely wealthy families and this particular family likes to be at the top of the wealth tree. They would be near the bottom at the elite school, so I think it is a bit funny. Me..... I couldn't give a rats what others think of me, and I think that is a healthy way to be. Fancy worrying what the neighbours think of you :p.

I know you are level headed Marc, and you and I sound alike in how we live our lives. It is funny to watch some people clambering to be seen to have more money, send their kids to a better school, have a flash car etc, and I find it highly amusing.

I reckon that until you get to high school, the need for private school for kids that age is all BS.
This seems to be a common belief, but I actually think that a strong primary school (public or private) is even more important than the quality of a high school. Primary school is where you learn to read and write, and build your self-esteem and confidence; where the foundations are being built.
L.AAussie said:
Yeah, people do whack the kids in private primary schools, and high schools for that matter, but a decent kid will do well in any school pretty much - from my experience.
Academically, I totally agree.
L.AAussie said:
For many schools that's true, ie the "brand names". Our kids go to an alternative community school, which we chose because of its emphasis on children identifying their talents (in whatever arena their talents lie), and developing their character. It's a very loving environment with a maximum of 15 children per class. Locally - and we live in a pretty wealthy area - it's known as "the hippy school" and people tend to turn their noses up at it. That's OK, I could care less. It's a truly amazing school. There's no alternative high school locally and our sons will probably go to the local high school.

Both your girls would be primary school age and I would highly recommend Eagle Junction in Clayfield. Both my kids go there and its great. Private school wise, is there any reason you have picked catholic schools as there is a wider choice of private schools in Clayfield if you go consider all of them.

My kids attended the local state high school, admittedly one with an excellent reputation.

We had one incidence of bullying, which was immediately acted upon by the school once brought to its attention and the bullying was halted within 24 hours. The aggressors then picked on another kid and were promptly expelled.

The school had a very active and effective P&C Association, and I would strongly recommend all parents of students join. The P&C has a huge say in the running of the school and is a good forum to ensure that effective policies are in place.
Marg

Clayfield private high schools

Both your girls would be primary school age and I would highly recommend Eagle Junction in Clayfield. Both my kids go there and its great. Private school wise, is there any reason you have picked catholic schools as there is a wider choice of private schools in Clayfield if you go consider all of them.

My husband is catholic, and he feels that our girls' upbringing should be enriched spiritually as well as academically. I am a little more open minded. If the school has a good reputation, cares about the students, then I would consider that school. Which other private schools do you know of that are good in Clayfield?

My husband is catholic, and he feels that our girls' upbringing should be enriched spiritually as well as academically. I am a little more open minded. If the school has a good reputation, cares about the students, then I would consider that school. Which other private schools do you know of that are good in Clayfield?

Hi Tracy

I might suggest that there are a lot of reasons why people might not offer their opinion on a school on a public forum (litigation issues etc). It might be a good idea to ask the people who have responded from Brisbane via PM or phone, what they really think where they could be more open and frank with their discussion.

Cheers

Shane

I am about to marry a girl that went to an all girls Catholic school in Brisbane (I wont bother mentioning the name of the school). She regrets it.

She had a bit of trouble adapting to the bigger broader world when she got out (and Im not just talking about boys) from her sheltered upbringing. I have noticed that among her school friends also have some issues as a result.

In my opinion those sorts of institutions are not a great option for young women (and all boy schools are significantly worse). I have a very low opinion of Churchie based the experience of my brother who was there for 4 years. There was a great deal of talk about high standards but a failure to deliver on the glossy brochures.

I suggest you check out Ormiston College in the south. They are excellent and also started taking younger ones about 5 years ago.

Hi Folks,

I have only arrived in Brisbane 4 weeks ago, and I am researching suburbs to buy as my next home. My criteria are close to a train or bus station, and good schools. I have 2 daughters (10 & 7 years old) whom I am trying to enrol them into a private girl school:
1. All Hallows in Bribane CBD fringe
2. St Rita College in Clayfield
3. Loretto College in Coorparoo

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Tracy
I don't know much about St Rita College in Clayfield,but the other 2 are both good,we were on the waiting list for several years but never got in the door ,all our girls went to a small Private Catholic school for primary http://www.stelizabeths.qld.edu.au/news/index.htm,then http://www.ourladyscollege.qld.edu.au/ we still have 2 girls left in their final years all have done well,but it all depends on the Principal and staff ..imho..willair

The requirement for schools, and the way that children respond, can vary enormously.

I can tell you that my kids did well in this school and bad in that school- but unless you know how my kids react to life, the universe, and everything, that will not help you in your search.

I can only suggest that you monitor your chosen school closely.

Before they start, talk to parents- and try to find out what how their children have done- paying better attention to those whose children are closer to yours in attitude.

Listen to what your children are telling you about the schools. Listen to the teachers. Do they sound like they care? (At one school my daughter attended, a senior teacher made a statement like "No wonder xx is like that. She lives in Queanbeyan." I missed the message that gave until it was too late).

I've made some bad mistakes with my childrens' schooling. But I didn't know when I chose.

Back