Purchaser coming and going to the property as they please??!

This sale has been rather stressful...
This afternoon I heard from my neighbor that there have been people coming and going from my house. Firstly on the weekend there was a group with children that wandered through, and the children left pebbles from the path strewn all over the veranda and yard which I had to clean up. And then just today the purchaser apparently was there and introduced herself as the owner to my neighbor, and questioned her to whether anybody else besides myself had been at the property.

Now I'm very concerned that there may be damage or property stolen and they will try to hold me accountable. Usually the purchaser is not allowed around the property without the vendors consent, isn't this correct?

I've told my conveyancer about this, and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I'll have a go at my agent tomorrow and tell him to hand in the keys...
god there better not be anything missing or damaged, or I'll hold the agent responsible!

Mention this to your legal people. They will send notice to the purchaser through the purchaser's legal people. Does not hurt to mention it to the selling agent as well. They may give the purchaser a curtious reminder on the do's and don'ts during the settlement peroiod.

Do you know if they have been inside. they may not have been given keys.

Having a go at your agent will just leave you with a cranky agent. Be firm, curtious and let them know what you expect of them. Treat it like the business transaction that it is.

This is not a problem. Trust me when I say it could be much much worse.

This sale has been rather stressful...
This afternoon I heard from my neighbor that there have been people coming and going from my house. Firstly on the weekend there was a group with children that wandered through, and the children left pebbles from the path strewn all over the veranda and yard which I had to clean up. And then just today the purchaser apparently was there and introduced herself as the owner to my neighbor, and questioned her to whether anybody else besides myself had been at the property.

Now I'm very concerned that there may be damage or property stolen and they will try to hold me accountable. Usually the purchaser is not allowed around the property without the vendors consent, isn't this correct?

I've told my conveyancer about this, and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I'll have a go at my agent tomorrow and tell him to hand in the keys...
god there better not be anything missing or damaged, or I'll hold the agent responsible!
you've provided very little information.

maybe they are just excited at their purchase and showing family/friends etc. kids will be kids. pebbles on the veranda - wow call the police.

you're playing Chinese whispers with your neighbour.

Thanks Brianna for you comments, you are right about not "having a go".

you've provided very little information.

maybe they are just excited at their purchase and showing family/friends etc. kids will be kids. pebbles on the veranda - wow call the police.

you're playing Chinese whispers with your neighbour.

What more information do you require? Our neighbor that we are playing "chinese whispers" with is a very close family friend to us and watches our property for us. She saw them all enter the property, the actual house. It's still my house at the moment and I'm pretty sure it's not common practice for strangers or the purchaser to enter the house un-attended without my permission? What if something is taken or damaged before the final inspection? And by pebbles on the veranda I mean a **** load, which is my concern because if kids were throwing them up there they could easily scratch or break the glass on the french doors. And also I have to maintain the property until the settlement date.

Thanks Brianna for you comments, you are right about not "having a go".

What more information do you require? Our neighbor that we are playing "chinese whispers" with is a very close family friend to us and watches our property for us. She saw them all enter the property, the actual house. It's still my house at the moment and I'm pretty sure it's not common practice for strangers or the purchaser to enter the house un-attended without my permission? What if something is taken or damaged before the final inspection? And by pebbles on the veranda I mean a **** load, which is my concern because if kids were throwing them up there they could easily scratch or break the glass on the french doors. And also I have to maintain the property until the settlement date.

fair enough. didn't realise they were entering the house. definitely put a stop to it.

OK, agreed they shouldn't have entered, but check if the agent gave them keys (how did they get in otherwise?).

Don't risk getting your purchaser off-side, as you have a complicated and quite possibly delayed settlement coming up, and you may need them to be cooperative and understanding next week. They're less likely to want to accommodate your circumstances if you're sending nastygrams to them through your conveyancer. Especially if the agent gave them the keys and thus they thought they had your permission.

WTF? They are walking through your house?? I would be having a very 'direct' chat with the agent & getting back the keys - and making sure that the purchasers know it is not their house until settlement. It sounds from Perp's post that perhaps your sale is a bit unusual. Nevertheless, I am floored that a registered REA would grant access to anyone without the owner's permission.

I've just sold a property and my solicitor has advised me as follows: Prior to settlement the Purchaser may wish to inspect the property. Their right to a final inspection of the property is given to them by law and you cannot refuse this final inspection, upon reasonable notice. My emphasis

I've just sold a property and my solicitor has advised me as follows: Prior to settlement the Purchaser may wish to inspect the property. Their right to a final inspection of the property is given to them by law and you cannot refuse this final inspection, upon reasonable notice. My emphasis

Technically yes.

But in reality there may be multiple before settlement to do measurements etc, however I would expect these to be with the owners consent.

Or if the property is vacant (this wasn't clear from you post) they would be in the company of the agent at the very least.

Understand your concerns, a word with the solicitor and agent should fix this up quickly. Don't feel any anger towards the purchaser though, as they may have no idea they are doing the wrong thing and have just been given keys by the agent.

Back