Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

Houston we have a problem

From the www.seita.com.au

What is an Environment Effects Statement?
An EES is a series of studies which consider the full range of environmental, social and economic issues.

The Frankston Bypass EES is expected to take up to two years to complete.
The EES for the Frankston Bypass will include:
a comprehensive analysis of current and future traffic demand;
clear conclusions regarding the economic benefits and the need for a bypass;
the form and route of any bypass;
a thorough audit of possible social and environmental impacts including an assessment of the impact any bypass would have on The Pines Flora and Fauna Reserve; and
a thorough community consultation process.
SEITA will present the results and a recommendation to the State Government. This will enable them to determine whether or not the project should proceed and if so, in what form and with what measures
===========
I am not sure when this started, but if its going to take 2 years for an environment effects statement, people who live in Frankston and towards the Peneinsula are going to be stuck in some very SLOW traffic at the end of the existing Frankston Freeway.

I know from Aspendale I will be driving via Beach Road to my friends in Frankston.

What are your thoughts Toni and others?

It will be a pain in the b..., but I am getting used to things taking along time to evolve down here. Change in this area is only starting to happen now! It unfortunately will be a long process and I agree it will cause some headaches for motorists.

I just pray that two years will pass very quickly and hopefully urgency will encourage a faster resolution.

Thanks for your post Toony, it was very informative.

Toni

When the next stage of the bulky goods are finished and eastlink is open, and traffic comes to a standstill. Wealthy people who give money to the political parties who when driving (ones without helicopters) down to portsea will be caught in the traffic, will push for it to get done and thats when things will happen.

auction these days is a bit like ebay ... someone will just keep bidding to win and then have a buyers remorse afterwards!

I wonder just how many people have become addicted to ebay like the Pokies, and are well on the way to bankruptcy.
I've seen a number of people now get hooked on it, and previously they weren't mindless consumers, but now they are.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Frankston is still a good place to buy, or whether most of the growth has already occured. My situation is that I own my home which i live in and 2 IPs. All three are in Frankston.

I would like to spend another 150-200k on another IP, but am unsure where to do this. I know Frankston will continue to grow in value, but am i better off looking in other suburbs, or perhaps interstate (ie brisbane or perth)?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks guys and gals :)

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Frankston is still a good place to buy, or whether most of the growth has already occured. My situation is that I own my home which i live in and 2 IPs. All three are in Frankston.

I would like to spend another 150-200k on another IP, but am unsure where to do this. I know Frankston will continue to grow in value, but am i better off looking in other suburbs, or perhaps interstate (ie brisbane or perth)?

I remembered somebody was asking Harris this question somewhere in this thread, and Harris explained that Frankston is only at the early stage of capital appreciation, and that each capital appreciation phase typically takes 24-36 months to complete, so he felt that Frankston still has long way to go. Judging by historical values, he also believed that Frankston South is offering better value than other areas of Frankston at this present time. He is heavily invested in Frankston area, but whether you want to diversify your portfolio or not that's up to you. There are opportunities elsewhere as well which is cheaper than Frankston in general and is showing signs of good capital growth (e.g. Rosebud), so keep your eyes open :)

I had read somewhere, can't remember exactly where (old age), but it was suggested that full capital appreciation is not fully felt until 12 months after completion of a major arterial road.

My brother-in-law told me of a suburb in Sydney (Liverpool) wherein approximately 5 years ago they had built a tollway (M5) and it took approx. three years after completion for people to realise how accessible this suburb was to the City.

I think Frankston has alot more going for it than the freeway, so I personally can see alot more growth here overall.

But who knows, the world could blow up tomorrow. Life is a gamble. Any investment has its risks. You really have to research and make the right investment choice, if any, for you.

I am not good with statistics and I know alot of you on the forum are. I confess my weakness in this area and would be happy for any further statistical proof or opinions one way or another.

Toni

Last edited:

Hi Jom,

Most areas have growth potential, picking Frankston out from the rest is personal bias and really is a guess, as nobody has a crystal ball.
Well one that works accurately.

You have seen the current growth first hand by living in Frankston and perhap think it has peaked but there seems to be many pluses in the future for this area as Harris and others have pointed out... but you need to make your own evaluation.

Would I buy currently in Frankston.... Yes, settled on four units in Frankston last Friday adding to a previous purchase last year.
But I must also add that we have other properties both interstate and in Vic.
So we don't hold just in one area or hold our eggs in one basket so to speak.
This acts as insurance and can work for/or against you.
You will tell in retrospect which area has thrived and which has had less growth, but again this can only be done in hindsight and you get some real surprises. An area which we purcashed for cashflow in '04 has almost double in value in three years.

I wouldn't rush to buy in Perth as I believe the growth will stagnated to the recent overheated market, but I sure there are still some bargains there, but locating them might be very time consuming. Brisbane on the other hand still seems to be a great growth spot and will continue to be for some time ahead.

Thanks feihong, po2012, Toni and Bricks & mortar for your comments, they have given me a few things to think about :)

I agree that Frankston probably does still have a fair bit of growth left in the next few years (acknowledging that it will always grow, but it is a matter of how quickly). It makes sense for me to buy here because I live here, and I know the areas like the back of my hand. However, I am very conscious of not wanting to have “all my eggs in the one basket”.

Brisbane sounds like it might be worth investigating further. The issue is that I know very little about it, and wouldn’t have a clue which are the good parts for growth, and which are not so good.

What do people of this forum think about paying a “buyer” to advise and then find something for me?

When you are aware of the future plans that are install for Frankston and the growth that lies ahead for this sleepy town and you know so much about it, why would you risk anywhere else?

My sister, who lives in Sydney, has bought two houses, sight unseen, going by what she has read and by what I have told her.

When you make your money here, then you can look at other areas. That's what we're doing and then you wont need the costly expense of employing a BA in an area you know nothing about.

Frankston is a gold mine waiting to happen. Most (bar one) of my eggs are in this basket, and I can't wait till they're ready to hatch.:D

Toni.

Long overdue update:

The realestate.com.au activity test shows Frankston , Frankston North and Frankston South at what I would consider moderate activity levels compared to past few months, (Frank 51 prop sold out of 200 listed, 13/35 for Frank nth and 20/130 for Frank Sth).

I caught up with proprietors of the largest 4 agencies in Frankston to get their feedback on the market in recent months.

All 4 proprietors mentioned that they are very short of sale stock and the high proportion of properties available for sale that appear on realestate.com.au website is due to the fact that majority of properties sold (40+) in auctions on the last few weeks are still appearing as available, a large number of unfinished or pre-sale townhouses/ units stock and some sellers with unrealistic price expectations for their properties.

Aaron Frolling owns the largest agency MPRE with 3 offices in Frankston. He tells me that MPRE had November as their best ever month in the number of properties sold and had outstanding results over the last few auctions held.

A major auction that MPRE conducted at a local hotel had 7 out of 8 properties sold. This is very rare considering that Frankston had less than 2% of properties going to auction at the start of this year.

He believes there is a serious lack of stock in the market and most of the properties that are priced at current market level get sold within a day or two.

The townhouse and units market which in Frankston had been lagging behind the house market has turned the corner and is showing good results, both in activity and the price points realized.

The development at the corner of Yuille and Denbigh St (just finished) had 2 townhouses sold by MPRE recently. A 2 bedroom 13 sq + garage sold for $380k and the 3 bed 17 sq + garage sold for $450k.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...eader=&c=65456511&s=vic&snf=ras&tm=1197458093

Lifestyle choice – Frankston beachside:

A new trend is in the full swing with a number of properties being sold to home buyers currently in inner suburbs. It is in my opinion quite remarkable and very instrumental for gentrification process in that, that besides the affordability or investment potential, home buyers would choose this area in order to improve their lifestyle. Aaron mentioned that a number of buyers that he personally dealt with sold their ppor in the blue chip suburbs of Prahran, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Camberwell to buy their dream house in beachside Frankston.

With the eastlink expected to open in 6 months, major developer activity and announcements like St Kilda FC moving to Frankston, it has given a fresh impetus to the local investing market.

Andrew Gillespie that owns the second largest Frankston real estate agency Hocking Stuart is equally bullish about the activity levels. Nov was their second best month in the number of properties sold which he thought was remarkable considering the election and 2 rates rises. Like Aaron from MPRE, he sees the market being very strong with 5 put of 6 prop sold in the auctions they held last weekend. The weekend before all 5 prop brought to auction were sold.

Unlike at the start of this year, almost 90% of the investors are from Melbourne in his opinion and are paying record prices for good quality properties.

No 5, The Range sold for over a million dollars expected to fetch around $900k.

110 Fleetwood Cres had a reserve of $395k and sold for $455k.

A very small block of land (234 sqm) in Orchard gve with a reserve of $110k sold for $175k.

117 Woodside Ave went for $525k and 10 Tara dve sold for $432k.

The rental market in Frankston has definitely turned the corner with a relative shortage of rental stock. All of my properties that I have owned for over 6 months in Frankston have had the rents increased by between 6% and 10%.

Andrew hasn’t seen any dampening of activity levels either during election or with the rate rise.

My personal opinion is that the activity levels have dropped compared to their peak around June/ July this year and the growth in the values is not as steep as it was earlier this year.

Andrew Milne from Andrew Milne R E gave similar feedback. Out of all the agents in Frankston, he is the most conservative and has a very realistic view on the market. He believes that based on the current month activity levels, Dec might be their busiest month this year. The interest rates haven’t had any effect on his sales activity however he sees market slowing down around Christmas.

He sees the rental market as being the strongest ever and his agency is in short supply for new rental stock.

Chris Wong from Stockdale & Leggo is another agent complaining about a serious lack of available properties and is down to his last few listings. Being overly bullish, he termed the local market as being relatively clam compared to the levels of activity and values once the freeway is finished in 6 months..!

Driving down around Frankston central and Frankston Sth, the amount of new building activity is astounding compared to only 6 months ago. The appearance and quality of the dwellings is what one would expect in inner blue chip suburbs. Construction for multiple developments dotted along the beachside on Nepean Hwy and Frankston South is in full swing and should finish in the next few months. I am expecting the local landscape to change significantly in the next 12 months.

So overall, whilst I won’t claim to be truly objective with my vested interests, I see a temporary lull around Christmas and the activity level picking up very seriously around Feb next year (similar to earlier this year). Around that time, the freeway would be almost finished along with a couple of new projects that the council aims to announce to improve the Frankston CBD, Kananook creek and perhaps the long awaited Frankston marina..!

Cheers

Harris

Thanks Harris

Thanks Harris,

Such an objective and comprehensive report.

It is contributions such as your's Harris, that make SS an excellent source of up to date information that is not readily available.

Thanks so much.

Regards Jason.

Back