Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

Just got back from Frankston checking up on a reno and helping a friend in selecting a suitable IP.

He had a short list of 9 prop that were available as of last thursday (2 days ago). All barring one had come to the market during last week. 6 of them were sold with the vendors accepting the offers (between thurs and Sat morning), 2 had offers however mini dutch auctions were in full force (refused to entertain the thought of a bidding war) and only 1 in Frank Central was available.

Went to the agent's office with a suitable offer which was supposed to be accepted by the vendor (as the agent informed us this morning). By 2pm this afternoon, the agent had 3 other buyers with offers on that property however could not accept any offers since even section 32 wasn't ready for the property..!

I havent bought anything lately and understand that activity levels are very high (going by regularly talking to the agents) however wasnt aware of the crazy nature of the current market in the activity area.

Just wondering what other current buyers are currently experiencing ..?

Harris

(The prop we looked were in the range of $280- $310K) so perhaps the bottom end of the market is extremely active compared to the higher end).

Eastlink to open before June 30

From Todays' The Age -

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/eastlink-nearly-ready-to-roll/2008/02/15/1202760604760.html

"TWIN black ribbons of bitumen, like giant strips of liquorice, stretch out across the landscape as far as the eye can see — heading north to Mitcham, south to Frankston and Port Phillip Bay.

Painted white lines map out the three lanes in both directions, edged by kilometres of noise barriers and landscaping, while giant gantries straddle the expressway. But despite the appearance of readiness, traffic is unlikely to start flowing on to EastLink, Australia's biggest road project, for another three months.

Electronic surveillance and video systems, signage, wire-rope barriers and guard rails, as well as ventilation and fire-suppression systems in the dual 1.6-kilometre tunnels under the Mullum Mullum valley, will be EastLink's finishing touches.

Nevertheless, the $3.8 billion toll road, which has cut a swathe through Melbourne's eastern suburbs at record pace, courtesy of Victoria's prolonged drought and a good industrial relations environment, is expected to open months ahead of schedule — by June 30, according to latest predictions. The engineering triumph, rolled out at an eye-popping cost of $84 million per kilometre of road, is expected to carry 260,000 vehicles daily on the promise of end-to-end journey times of less than 30 minutes for a maximum toll per car of $5.

ConnectEast, the company in charge of building and running EastLink, is champing at the bit to unveil its pristine 45 kilometres of road (including off-ramps and bypasses), with 17 major interchanges and 88 bridges, but is determined not to cut the ribbon prematurely despite constant motorist inquiries.

"It's a bit like getting to lock-up stage in a new house," suggests chief executive John Gardiner. "What goes on after that can drag on for what seems an interminable period of time."

Well in excess of 90% of the total construction budget has been spent, but Mr Gardiner says: "A very critical aspect of the work has to take place once the road is effectively complete, and that's the final testing of the traffic management and tolling systems."

EastLink is expected to ease congestion on some of the south-east's biggest arterial roads. A parallel journey along Springvale Road is interrupted by 47 sets of traffic lights. Together, Springvale and Stud roads account for nine of Melbourne's top 10 traffic "black spots". Projections suggest the average EastLink trip will be about 12 kilometres of the 39-kilometre Mitcham-to-Frankston stretch, with a likely cut in traffic volumes on neighbouring roads of about 30%.

Despite the anxiety of commuters and public transport advocates, Seita, the State Government agency overseeing the project, estimates only minimal impact for the conjoined Eastern Freeway, predicting a 10% increase in traffic volumes at the Hoddle Street end of the network.

Even so, the added congestion and Melbourne's fast-growing population, could, in part, force the hand of businessman Sir Rod Eddington, who next month will unveil the results of his study into the city's east-west transport needs — some form of multibillion-dollar road link, and possibly tunnels connecting the Eastern and Tullamarine freeways, would seem likely.

Mr Gardiner acknowledges that EastLink will add to congestion because of pent-up demand throughout the south-east, but believes it will be minimal.

No decision has been made on the exact date of the road's opening, nor on whether motorists will enjoy a toll-free period in which "to sample the road's wares", according to Mr Gardiner. But the experience of other new toll roads make a start-up amnesty likely.

Toll rates will be adjusted annually, on July 1, in line with inflation.

Thiess-John Holland, the contractor building the road, stands to collect millions of dollars as a reward for early completion, which will be based on toll revenues after a 15-month "ramp-up" period.

Long in the making — Melbourne's street directory accommodated a future north-south road link as long ago as 1970 — EastLink's metamorphosis from proposed freeway to completed tollway edges nearer with its yet-to-be-named electronic tags, carrying roaming rights with all other toll roads in Australia including CityLink, to go on sale within weeks......."

Just wondering what other current buyers are currently experiencing ..?

Hi Harris,

Firstly, thank you for all of your input on this thread. I have been keeping a close eye on it for months.

My mother just signed a contract yesterday on a two bedroom unit on Nepean Highway. It was listed last week, Friday or Saturday night on re.com.au and by Sunday evening was Under Offer. $185,000+

How disappointed was I??

I had sent an email to the agent expressing our interest and low and behold he rang me on Thursday this week to let me know that the sale had fallen down and that it was back on the market and was I interested......Of Course!

Looked at it That afternoon and we had the contract signed Yesterday.

There is nothing on the market that is worth looking at for less than $200,000 now.

I purchased a property in Williams Street about 4 years ago for $86,000 and sold it two years later for $173,000......should have held on...you live and learn.

My experience in getting a bottom of the market property for mum...which last year would have been middle of the range for the same price...Well... everything is selling Fast, Fast, Fast.

I believe Frankston is on the verge of a strong increase..2008 will probably be the year for Frankston.

harris, a lot of houses that i asked for either under contract or sold or have a lot of people going through it.

I think it is very hard on frankston market as a buyer, as we just have to accept the vendor asking price and have no negotiation power.

Buying and Selling in Frankston.

The agents in Frankston are having a field day. To obtain listings they have the rising interest rates on their side to 'scare' potential sellers, and pressure them to list before the demand for properties weakens.

Then on the other side of the fence they have a pool of eager buyers who they naturally emphasise the potential of the area to!

Win Win situation if you are an agent in Frankston now!

newhigh,
please take it easy on the promoting frankston... i'm still looking to buy a few in the area :p

having said that i agree with jingo on the activity the agents have.
from my experiences (last weekend) the agents are very bullish on the area, promote the major infrastructure, and of course talk up less tangible elements (arguably 'made up' facts) affecting the area. and yes i would agree we should all expect nothing less from their position (regardless of the conditions / outlook)

harris & long88,
i would agree the impression from the outset that no-one has negotiating power is apparent, however i'm just a beginner in this game and the area, and i've found offers (some with many conditions & extended terms & lower that 'usual' deposit %'s / others without :p) are certainly being heard, passed on to vendors, and they are still motivated to negotiate (sell). I"m not sure if i'm missing something here, but i still feel my skills are low and offer lvl's are too high as a result!

the properties i'm talking about is all sub 300k houses in frankston (karingal), and frankston nth.

disclaimer: i'm an amatuer only signing on my first property in this past week.

harris & long88,
i would agree the impression from the outset that no-one has negotiating power is apparent, however i'm just a beginner in this game and the area, and i've found offers (some with many conditions & extended terms & lower that 'usual' deposit %'s / others without :p) are certainly being heard, passed on to vendors, and they are still motivated to negotiate

I didnt agree with the "buyers being unable to negotiate with the vendor" theory myself. I have purchased every property off the back of some excellent negotiations and have always achieved an edge during negotiations, either with the purchase price or settlement terms or buying mortgagee auction prop before they hit the market.

My understanding is that the bottom end of the market is extremely strong at the moment and that the values for prop under $320k have rocketed up, even within a very short period in the last 2 months.

The properties in karingal that were selling for $260-$270k in Dec are fetching close to and in excess of $300k (Banyan dve, Hudson Rd, Karingal dve prop sold during last week).

There is basically nothing that is under $260-$270k in karingal, not requiring renovation.

On the other hand, top end prop are also fetching new record prices.

47 Menzies Close (669 sqm) sold yesterday in the auction for $1.57 mil, 1 Orrong Ave also sold yesterday at the auction for $1.4 mil.

Frankston North is continuing its upwards journey and has only dumps for sale under $240k. A prop that sold yesterday in an auction in Frank Nth fetched $198k for land value (with a shell on the land without kitchen, bathroom or most windows). That suggests a phenomenal increase in the land value there.

Yesterday was the first weekend where all prop that were brought to auctions sold without any prop being passed in.

I still firmly believe that Frankston South is firming up to lead the growth this year - There is not a lot of differential left between Franskton and Frankston Sth 's basic 3 bedders on average blocks however historically Frank Sth commands atleast a 20-30% difference in values.

This is a big anomaly and should correct itself this year.

Harris

Harris, based on your story on the board, at that time, it is probably true. but now on frankston market. you just have to put up what the agents/vendor asking.

I have tried couple of offers below vendor asking (agent still submitting), but end up missed out. i think it is seller market over there at the moment (Still !!)

anyway, this is my finding over there.

and i am not a person who really wants to pay full price, as i believe everything is negotiable. (i bought my ppor at less 12k from asking price, $269 asking).

My 2 Cents

....The properties in karingal that were selling for $260-$270k in Dec are fetching close to and in excess of $300k (Banyan dve, Hudson Rd, Karingal dve prop sold during last week).
Harris

:eek:
I hesitated before posting this, but can't help it. I have lived in the area for 7 years and own properties here too. I know that Frankston "looks cheap" compared with other areas in Melbourne, and I agree that fundamentals (infrastructure, transport, beach, freeway) are sound. HOWEVER, 300k+ for Karingal Drive is ludicrous IMO. I have had a laugh with a couple of the agents over the past 6 mths at some houses going way over the odds. The way I see it, investors from outside the area think Frankston looks cheap & are happy to pay $320k for a property which may otherwise be worth $280k. I would be surprised if sales have not fallen through after bank val's. I think investors are inflating the market and I really hope that nothing causes them to bail in large numbers over the next few years. I admit that I have done very well with my Frankston properties and believe me, I hope the boom keeps going & going.... But right now I am waiting before investing any more $ here.

Another thing to remember is that with 40,000+ dwellings there is not exactly a dearth of supply in Frankston, nor is there a dearth of rental properties. Development has increased in the past 5 yrs and believe me, there's no supply shortage on the near horizon. I have put up my rents in inner Melb by $90-$100 week in the past year - but not in Frankston (sadly!). Remember that as property investors we are in the Rental Business. As much as I LOVE Frankston (moved here from the inner eastern suburbs), there is a reason that prices & rents are low. There are many low income earners here who can only afford $200 (often much less) in rent. It's an area which would be hit hard should economic indicators take a nosedive. From what I'm seeing, rents are not increasing anything like they are in the inner suburbs but house prices certainly are. OK, I'm ready for the flaming; but even though I am ordinarily the Eternal Optimist I had to give another point of view. Just be careful before getting swept up in the Frankston Frenzy. :eek:

The way I see it, investors from outside the area think Frankston looks cheap & are happy to pay $320k for a property which may otherwise be worth $280k. I would be surprised if sales have not fallen through after bank val's. I think investors are inflating the market and I really hope that nothing causes them to bail in large numbers over the next few years.

Hello Ms Jade,

I have just had two very favourable valuations come back from Karingal in Frankston. I hold fairly ordinary properties there, but the prices you mention above are certainly being recognized by the valuers - at the moment anyway. You could take advantage of the situation now, lock in the high valuations with a LOC, and continue to invest! That is what I am intending to do!

Regards Jason.

I hesitated before posting this, but can't help it. I have lived in the area for 7 years and own properties here too. I know that Frankston "looks cheap" compared with other areas in Melbourne, and I agree that fundamentals (infrastructure, transport, beach, freeway) are sound. HOWEVER, 300k+ for Karingal Drive is ludicrous IMO.

Fundamentally flawed argument in its entirety..

Just beacuse an area increases in value more than one's own perception of that area does not make the increase ludicrous. The increase in prop values is proportional to the potential ( or perceived potential) of that area and basic fundamentals. Karingal sits only 2 kms away from the cleanest beach in Victoria, has nice area appeal overall (on par with most middle ring suburbs), has rental yields in the viccinity of 5% or higher, has close proximity to schools, sits next to a big shopping centre (which is going through a massive expansion), offers low price points making housing affordable, will be connected to the new Eastlink causing a massive increase in accessibility and sits next to one of the major commercial hubs of melbourne, has TAFE and Monash Uni very close to it and is situated at the gateway to Penninsula - Why on earth a nice 3 bedder sitting on 600 sqm selling for $300k in karingal based on the above factors "a ludicroous buy" is beyond me.

Give me just one other suburb in Melbourne that has so much going for it as Frankston has currently and it might help me in drawing parallel between that area and Frankston.

I have had a laugh with a couple of the agents over the past 6 mths at some houses going way over the odds.

I had a good laugh too when properties started selling for close to a millions dollars in Reservoir and Preston. I am happy to admit that it was a foolish laugh since the area moved another 30-40% more after I had my laugh..! I also had the last laugh when my properties in Rockhampton and Cairns almost trippled in the last 5 years. In hindsight you would be laughing too if anyone had told you that prop in those areas could fetch more than $750k, but they did and still going up.

The odds from the eyes of a person living in Karingal or the odds as we (investors) see it having invested successfully in half a dozen different locations around Australia buying dozens of properties..?

I had another laugh when I picked 2 houses for $290k (both) sitting next to each other in Frankston North 18 months ago on 1600 sqm which I can put in the market for $480k without plans and $500k + with plans and sell within 24 hours...! The laugh factor increases as I get the plans approved (in the council at the moment) to put 6 townhouses there and have the development CF neutral from day one.
The way I see it, investors from outside the area think Frankston looks cheap & are happy to pay $320k for a property which may otherwise be worth $280k.

If a property sells for $320k amongst stiff competition from buyers, then the property is worth $320k and not $280k. The market determines the value of property, not a resident living in that area. What you believe the property is worth does not matter since sophisticated investors base their decisions in acquiring millions of dollars worth of property in an area by using their brain cells more effectively in determining the true worth of an area. The good thing analysing an area from outside in is that it allows us to benchmark an area against other growth areas and then take the decision to actively buy in a certain area based on the specific merits that area offers.

I would be surprised if sales have not fallen through after bank val's.

What makes you think the values will drop...? Did you believe that Bentleigh and Highett which had worse reputation 10 years ago than Frankston could reach a median value which is almost 2.5 times higher than that of Frankston..?

Again, you are looking at Frankston with the goggles of a local and not as an investor - Investors have a different criteria in assessing an area than a local looking at buying a couple of prop in their neighborhood.

I think investors are inflating the market and I really hope that nothing causes them to bail in large numbers over the next few years. I admit that I have done very well with my Frankston properties and believe me, I hope the boom keeps going & going.... But right now I am waiting before investing any more $ here.

Again, a very vague, subjective and unforunately ill formed opinion. Investors go for value that an area offers in the bigger scheme of things and then compare that value proposition to the next best alternative. In other words, they do their due dilligence whilst comparing the potential of an area. HTW (largest valuers) in their Feb edition has Frankston with the best propsects of capital growth since in their opinion it still offers a very (very) low entry point for a beachside suburb in midst of a big change and with a new $3.8 billion tollway connecting it with the rest of Melbourne.

Another thing to remember is that with 40,000+ dwellings there is not exactly a dearth of supply in Frankston, nor is there a dearth of rental properties.

Well, sorry to say.. but here is another fundamentally flawed argument. Just because an area is large does not mean the supply is large relevant to demand. Frankston has 40,000 OCCUPIED dwellings which means that owner occupiers are simply not going to forfeit their homes as the values are going up..! Just beacuse a suburb is large has no significance whatsoever to the debate of its investment potential. If anything, it works towards the argument that with such critical mass of population, the chances are that it will attract larger commercial/ development acticity.

Development has increased in the past 5 yrs and believe me, there's no supply shortage on the near horizon.

Frankston has no vacant land.... Do a search on Frankston and you will be lucky to find more than 6 blocks of land (almost all as a result of sub-division and not new land). Competition is for land and there is no more land available in Frankston for new dwellings, hence for development potential Frankston rates as one of the best potential areas in my dictionary.

I have put up my rents in inner Melb by $90-$100 week in the past year -

And what are the values of those properties (just so we compare apples with apples and not an apple with an Orangutan)

I have increased my Frankston yields at a higher proportion ( not actual $$) than I could in any of my inner Melbourne properties. Excluding my development stock, my frankston rental returns are well over 6.5% (which is an excellent yield for any investor in the current climate).

but not in Frankston (sadly!).

Just increase your rents in frankston or talk to an agent to do that for you :cool:

Remember that as property investors we are in the Rental Business.

As property investors, we are in the business of buying properties with returns above the median return of that area waiting to ride off any short term fluctuations (managing cash flow well) and then realising the capital gains that will follow. I am not in rental business.. If that is my business, then I would surely have gone broke a long time ago but fortunately I keep on reaping the CG rewards on and on again.

As much as I LOVE Frankston (moved here from the inner eastern suburbs), there is a reason that prices & rents are low.

And the reason is that people with their own biased goggles were/are unable to realise the true worth of that area. Frankston I reiterate has the highest activity of any other (non-auction dominated suburb in Australia currently indicating huge demand) and has the most going for it that will change the area and its associated perceptions forever.

There are many low income earners here who can only afford $200 (often much less) in rent.

So was the case with Seaford, Carrum, Chelsea, Bentleigh, Moorabbin, Altona... but it didnt affect the values sky rocketing in those areas. I have renters paying $440/w for my Nolan St property and I have 6 tenancies in Frankston paying in excess of $250/week. 2 in Frank Nth paying under $200pw each whilst one in Karingal on Wangarra Rd paying $380 pw.

It's an area which would be hit hard should economic indicators take a nosedive. From what I'm seeing, rents are not increasing anything like they are in the inner suburbs but house prices certainly are.

Another "motherhood statement" . This happened with my inner suburb properties. They have all increased dramatically in the last 2 years but rents have increased fractionally. This is the classic case of the value appreciation process. Values shoot up first with rents lagging far behind. It also happend with my portfolio in Rockhampton and Cairns with values jumping 280% across those and rents going up by 70% or thereabouts.

OK, I'm ready for the flaming;

I am glad you were ready.. I dont feel so guilty now.. :D

but even though I am ordinarily the Eternal Optimist I had to give another point of view. Just be careful before getting swept up in the Frankston Frenzy. :eek:

Just be careful that you dont get swept under your mental barrier of what Frankston has to offer and where the values are heading - Frankston is going great and I have every reason to believe that it will be a stand out leader in CG for this year and next year compared to any other outer suburb of Melbourne and also most middle ring suburbs.

Harris

Last edited:
I have put up my rents in inner Melb by $90-$100 week in the past year - but not in Frankston (sadly!). Remember that as property investors we are in the Rental Business.

Hi Miss Jade,

I grew up in Middle Park. Properties there are now offered for 1.3 million ++

When I was growing up there prices were very cheap. The perception was that it was too close to Port Melbourne ( a lower class suburb at the time and look at it now!!) and not desireable.

I live in Frankston and have done so for the last eight years because I could not afford to buy in the suburb I grew up in. I was reluctant to come here at first but now I love Frankston and see its great potential for further capital gains. Frankston reminds me of middle park 20 years ago.

I think you should increase your rents in Frankston, I agree with Harris on this point.

Think about all of those people who want the beachside location and cannot afford to rent in Suburbs closer in such as Moordialloc or Mentone.

The reality of life is that Frankston is going up in value. Yes, it may be partially investor driven but there are young families out there who need a place to live and want to be by the sea. They cannot afford the $800,000+ price tag. That is why I moved here eight years ago. :):)

This is not a flaming but rather an encouragement to embrace the reality of what is happening to our suburb.

do not underestimate the power of the sea.
combine that with transport & other positive infrastructure and you have a special combination.

for example .. put yourself if kerry packers shoes for a moment ... you are so much closer to the beach house in portsea! ... i wonder where i would want to live if i wanted to pop down to the beach house every w/e? (frankston!)

how bout this ... i'm working the docks at the new port in hastings ... i want to send my children to a nice school and subsequently university, have access to the marina, good fishing facilities, possibly surf beaches, .... where would be a great place to live? (frankston!)

or this one .... i live anywhere from mitcham through to frankston ... i want to go to the beach, enjoy the fresh air, the views, get away from industry ... i jump on the freeway spend a few dollars and <30mins and i'm in frankston! ... i guess the point here is the place is nice, it is not too far removed from the other beachside suburbs when you walk down the street, and with increased traffic will come a realization that the (1) place exists and it (2) has a lot to offer... add the accelerator of a major freeway and you have a nice little(?) snowball effect.

the only thing that holds me back from being bullish on Frankston is proximity to the city. and when i look at alternatives yes there are cheaper places when you consider it is 40km's from town ... but i challenge you guys to identify a location with as much infrastructure available all year round (if you can, do tell me where and i'll start looking for available properties.

Last edited:
I agree with Ms Jade to some extent. But i also agree with Harris too. I have a foot in each camp. As a kid i grew up in Mentone and then my parents moved to Frankston. What the?????

Though I live in Aspendale, i do spend a lot of time in Frankston and i first bought in Sth Frankston in 1999 because I know the infrastructure is better than say Mentone.

But I believe, as people cannot afford Frankston, Nth Frankston and Karingal they will go to Cranbourne etc. So I can see some growth.

But there is always a concern, if the econmomy does slide, the outside investors will sell up first.

Kananook Creek Boulevard

Public display of concept drawings for the proposed redevelopment along the Kananook Creek edge between Beach Street and Davey Street has now closed. All comments are currently being evaluated and incorporated into a preferred design outcome which will be presented to Council in March 2008

These comments represent much of the feedback received:

* A relaxed atmosphere for a coffee to sit and chat in an open area, lined with umbrellas and trees.

* Trees for shade, a BBQ area, shaded tables so we can share a meal after a day in the sea.

* Plenty of free parking...

* Walk along a good path with gardens and parks.

* A healthy, clean river.

* Cycling beside Kananook Creek. Maybe a board-walk from Seaford to Frankston.

* Turn Kananook Creek into a mini Southbank.

Other interesting suggestions included outdoor chess tables, a giant screen (to watch footy etc), a mini Frankston Music Bowl, band stand, an indoor ice skating centre.

Your responses are being submitted for analysis in the detailed design. A number of approvals are required before construction can commence, expected late 2008. The design and construction to develop and enhance the Kananook Creek Boulevard is being jointly funded by Frankston City Council and the State Government Transit Cities Program.

Toni

Public display of concept drawings for the proposed redevelopment along the Kananook Creek edge between Beach Street and Davey Street has now closed. All comments are currently being evaluated and incorporated into a preferred design outcome which will be presented to Council in March 2008

These comments represent much of the feedback received:

* A relaxed atmosphere for a coffee to sit and chat in an open area, lined with umbrellas and trees.

* Trees for shade, a BBQ area, shaded tables so we can share a meal after a day in the sea.

* Plenty of free parking...

* Walk along a good path with gardens and parks.

* A healthy, clean river.

* Cycling beside Kananook Creek. Maybe a board-walk from Seaford to Frankston.

* Turn Kananook Creek into a mini Southbank.

Other interesting suggestions included outdoor chess tables, a giant screen (to watch footy etc), a mini Frankston Music Bowl, band stand, an indoor ice skating centre.

Your responses are being submitted for analysis in the detailed design. A number of approvals are required before construction can commence, expected late 2008. The design and construction to develop and enhance the Kananook Creek Boulevard is being jointly funded by Frankston City Council and the State Government Transit Cities Program.

Toni

wow! I think I'm ready to kick out my tenants and live in my IP myself when all these are done~

Working towards a safer Frankston

Frankston City Council's Community Safety Management Team (CSMT) was established eight years ago to develop and implement the City's Community Safety Plan and improve perceptions of safety.

This year's safety achievements include:

Ambassador Program

Council's Ambassador Program is proving so successful that it has doubled from two to four officers. The officers work with traders, transit police, Frankston Police and Connex to reduce anti-social behaviour, the number of dogs in restricted areas and alcohol consumption in popular meeting places.

Accessible Keys Street Public Toilet

Council has acquired a site in Keys Street, near Wells Street, to house modern public toilets. The new "comfort room" will be accessible to all, giving residents and visitors with disabilities much greater access to the city centre from later this year. The toilets will feature an adult change table and hoist facility, and disabled parking will also be available.

Council and Peninsula Access Support and Training (PAST) received a $200,000 grant from the Department of Human Services to build this facility.

CCTV Cameras

Council secured a $205,000 Federal Government grant to install five closed circuit television cameras in Young Street, one in the Frankston Train Station underpass and two at the Frankston Waterfront.

Council made the funding application in partnership with Frankston Police, Bayside Shopping Centre, Frankston's Business Chamber, PAST and Connex, to the Federal Government's Nation Community Crime Prevention Program to install the CCTV System to enhance work already being done to improve public safety.

Graffiti Management

The Graffiti Management Program is looking for new ways to reduce graffiti following a recent state wide increase. Council's parks and reserve staff are currently trailling "Graffiti wipes", designed to safely remove graffiti from hard surfaces without damaging signs, playground equipment or rubbish bins. Council field staff carry a pack in their cars, providing for rapid removal at minimum costs.

Toni

interesting to hear of the mentone to frankston move toony :)

i've spent the last 15 years in beaumaris ... and there is not much more than travel time (+25mins on a city train ride) holding me back from moving into my first purchase in karingal!

speaking of infrastructure ... what other regions have standout infrastructure projects? (what resources are the most common for somersoft users)

I agree with Ms Jade to some extent. But i also agree with Harris too. I have a foot in each camp. As a kid i grew up in Mentone and then my parents moved to Frankston. What the?????

Though I live in Aspendale, i do spend a lot of time in Frankston and i first bought in Sth Frankston in 1999 because I know the infrastructure is better than say Mentone.

But I believe, as people cannot afford Frankston, Nth Frankston and Karingal they will go to Cranbourne etc. So I can see some growth.

But there is always a concern, if the econmomy does slide, the outside investors will sell up first.

As any suburb becomes expensive, people have to move on to more affordable areas. that's why you buy when it is affordable:D

Frankston still is very cheap considering where it is and what it has to offer. Locals are often stuck in old ingrained attitudes, which inevitably will change whether they are ready for it or not.

As for whether or not the enconomy will slide, I don't have a crystal ball, but I would say that in another 10 years down the track, the people who chose to hold off because of the ifs, buts and whens, will be the ones looking back and wishing they had bought now.

Frankston is in its early phases of development, with alot more yet to be put on the agenda. It actually maybe one of the few suburbs that wont get effected by any down turn. At this stage, the future is the future, lets leave it where it is. Often getting in is the most important step.

Most investments should be held for a minimum of 10 years anyway, so as far as I am concerned, too many questions. What will be will be. I on the other hand am excited about Frankston's future.

Go Frankston! You're my little baby and I can't wait for you to grow and become all that I and others have envisaged.

Toni

Last edited:
Back