Putting in a safe

If you were to put in a safe in your house to keep some really valuable items in what is the best way to go for size and security ?

I'm thinking family photos , passports , important documents and handgun :p

Are most safes fire proof as well ? I suppose a good situation is to have it fixed to a concrete foundation so someone doesn't just pick the whole safe up and walk away . Like the ones you see in hotel rooms .

Any one here have a good safe installed at home ?

If you were to put in a safe in your house to keep some really valuable items in what is the best way to go for size and security ?

I'm thinking family photos , passports , important documents and handgun :p

Are most safes fire proof as well ? I suppose a good situation is to have it fixed to a concrete foundation so someone doesn't just pick the whole safe up and walk away . Like the ones you see in hotel rooms .

Any one here have a good safe installed at home ?

Ring up your insurance company first and ask them what they require,don't know about guns but insurance companies have several requirement fire rating time in hours, what sort of locks,chemset onto a slab wall mounted ,but ring them first before you buy one and then find out they don't cover that style of safe ..imho..

Most safes have some sort of fire rating which talks about how long various items can survive depending on the heat outside the safe. It's unlikely that there'll be a fire hot enough to melt the safe, but the heat can still enter and destroy things like disks, paper, plastic and may even cause your handgun to explode (eventually).

Also keep in mind that some safes provide insulation that may release vapours that could compromise floppy disks without melting them. Also consider that my knowledge is pre-USB stick.

A safe wouldn't be much good if it can be easily picked up and taken away intact. Most safes do have some method of securing them.

AFAIK, firearms require their own safe, fixed at at minimum of two points, ie, wall and floor. Then again, this may be a WA requirement.

Oh.

While I don't own any firearms, a lot of my family members and close friends do.
A friend who is staying with me for the next couple of months will be installing his gun safe for the duration, so I've had a casual interest in safe laws lately.

Oh.

While I don't own any firearms, a lot of my family members and close friends do.
A friend who is staying with me for the next couple of months will be installing his gun safe for the duration, so I've had a casual interest in safe laws lately.

Enjoy the potential random inspections!

Check with insurance to see what the say. Best safe I've found was in an old PPoR, we only found it after removing the flooring to find a small cylinder safe.

Grinded it open, nothing inside. :/

Worst experience I've had was with a cash box , which I'd bought and left in back seat of car .:mad:

Only thing in it was the receipt , but the car window was a pain to replace ...:eek:

Cliff

AFAIK, firearms require their own safe, fixed at at minimum of two points, ie, wall and floor. Then again, this may be a WA requirement.

yes.. there are strict rules here as well. They need be stored under the floor with multiple locks and all that.

Why not 2 safes? Decoy on the floor of the main bedroon cupboard- not even screwed in- with some loose change and cheap jewellery. The second safe ( the real one) hidden elsewhere and bolted down.

Back