Qantas Pilots - Gripe Sheet

It's "interesting" to see the airplane with the most fantastic record and history of safety.... ALL OF A SUDDEN have 4 different issues in regards to their planes.
Oh, yes, and all so eminently newsworthy. :rolleyes:

For those not in aviation circles: rest assured that any of these incidents could have happened to any aircraft despite the best maintenance in the world, and apart from the exploding cylinder, none of them were remotely serious. Incidents such as those that got such huge publicity happen to aircraft of every airline, every day. It doesn't and shouldn't reflect on Qantas' safety reputation, one iota.
stockt12 said:
It's even more interesting to note the engineers requested a payrise not so long ago and stated they would do all they can to achieve it...and NOW... well, 1+1=2. :rolleyes:
Really unethical, hey?

Mostly military in origin.

Thanks mate. :)

I've only read one story so far (the Orion without chocks) and shake my head.

I never saw a RAAF aircraft switch off their engines before chocks were fitted. There was no need for a/c to carry their own, they rattled around on every tow-motor on every base.

Speaking of chocks, did you see the pix of the brand new A380-600 Airbus which jumped it's chocks and ran into the blast barrier?

Apologies if it was posted here. :)

It was a 340, not the 380. Impressive picture none the less. Up and over a wall, nil flying time, Ouch, hate to be makein gthat phone call to the boss!
I can post them to, not sure how to though.

Oh, yes, and all so eminently newsworthy. :rolleyes:

For those not in aviation circles: rest assured that any of these incidents could have happened to any aircraft despite the best maintenance in the world, and apart from the exploding cylinder, none of them were remotely serious. Incidents such as those that got such huge publicity happen to aircraft of every airline, every day. It doesn't and shouldn't reflect on Qantas' safety reputation, one iota.

Really unethical, hey?

Totally agree Tracey - anyone can visit the Australian Transport Safety Bureau and read all the investigations they are currently undertaking - not only Qantas planes, but every incident that happens in Australian airspace.

The main thing to remember is that in every instance, the pilot landed the plane safely and without injury to staff or passengers. I am surprised the sensationalist media didn't bring up the recent hard landing in Darwin by a Qantas 717 though, which almost resulted in the plane being written off due to the skin behind the landing gear wrinkling.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/index.aspx?mode=avi

P.S Did anyone see the interior video of the exploding cylinder incident where the Qantas hosties carried on cabin service complete with oxygen masks on. Good to know the alcohol continued to flow even during an emergency :D

P.S Did anyone see the interior video of the exploding cylinder incident where the Qantas hosties carried on cabin service complete with oxygen masks on. Good to know the alcohol continued to flow even during an emergency :D

Why do you think the Royal Navy was so liberal with the rum? Why do Diggers celebrate the "gun-fire breakfast" of rum and milk? A little "Dutch courage" goes a long way. :D

I hope anyone without an interest in aviation has switched of and is no longer reading this thread. :D

In my day it seemed that the US Air Force, Marines, Army and their reserves provided fifty "stories" to the rest of the world's one. Or maybe they just let it all hang out. But our smoko rooms were littered with various publications from there and were known generically as "crash comics".

Some were dramatic. I still remember a film of a whole flight-line of fighters exploding, one after the other, as a salient warning about the dangers of using JP4 (a mix of avtur and gasoline).

If it is possible to stuff-up, the yanks have already done it and it has been documented. LOL

Back