QLD - charging tenant for water

Has anyone gone down the path of getting an IP certified to charge the tenant for water consumption? How much did this cost and what sort of changes were required to be certified?

My PM was a bit vague about the cost, so it sounded like a bit of an invitation to charge whatever the plumber wanted.

I will save about $130 x per quarter per property.

I have been quoted as $99.00 to have my place done from agent. However I have asked the plumber that did my place to give me the data so I can pass on the costs.

When I renovated all taps were WALS 3 or better.

Brian

When I renovated all taps were WALS 3 or better.

One of my IPs has a bathroom and kitchen updated in the last several years. The other has a 1970's kitchen and bathroom. With the latter, I take I'm likely to have to change all taps and shower heads?

Excess Water Consumption

Out of the 5 IP's we own in SE QLD, one tenant in particular is quite excessive with water consumption.

Does anyone on the forum charge tenants for "excess" water usage over a reasonable amount?:confused:

We just had a plumber certify our house on the Gold Coast so that we can oncharge the tenants. 4 bed 2 bath house. Great price, $50 call out + changed 2 shower heads at just $25 each + water flow restrictors on 4 taps at $10ea.

All Up, $140 (bout $100 after tax), which is going to save us thousands over the years.

Modal - If we didnt do this we would have had to pay for the first 90kl as the 'reasonable amount', so about $250 every 6 months.

The REA had it on the contract. Not sure how they come to that amount.

I just said scrap that, Ill get it certified and the tenants can pay for usage because like Modal, we didnt do that with an IP and the tenants used heaps.

So if the IP is certified, will the tenants be sent water usage bill or you still have to chase the tenants to pay ?

I presume it'd have to be written in the contract, and if you have existing tenants, you'd have to wait until renewal time to change it?

Cheers

We just had a plumber certify our house on the Gold Coast so that we can oncharge the tenants. 4 bed 2 bath house. Great price, $50 call out + changed 2 shower heads at just $25 each + water flow restrictors on 4 taps at $10ea.

Hi Brett, if you don't mind, can you please PM me the contact details of this plumber? Thanks!

Out of the 5 IP's we own in SE QLD, one tenant in particular is quite excessive with water consumption.

Does anyone on the forum charge tenants for "excess" water usage over a reasonable amount?:confused:

This is my first IP and right from the start will be certified so tenant will be paying for water usage. I am doing this simply to put the onus on the tenant for thier water usage, and of course one less expense I will be up for.

Brian

Back