QLD loses migration capital tag

Considering QLD was the stronghold of One Nation and Pauline Hanson, oh and that Joh for Canberra man, not too long ago... it's surprising it was the migration capital.

Guess where NSW and Vic unskilled labour, manufacturing industry unemployed, and welfare types head when the going gets tough...

We Qld'ers would be grateful if you southern states looked after your own rather than shunting them up here.

We Qld'ers would be grateful if you southern states looked after your own rather than shunting them up here.

Don't worry they are not only moving north.

The tenants who trashed 1 of my IP's moved to Adelaide.

More are moving interstate because they cannot afford the high city rents or no landlord will rent to them because there are better tenants to choose from.

We give em lots of lovin WW , only just the other day I ran over one , but they move on anyway , downright ungrateful !

Great chart by the way , scary chart by the way. Your right , you are still cheap as compared - bloody hell ! Isn't it just mind boggling what has become of the Australian housing market in only 10 or 12 yrs that's all I can say.

Cheers

Considering QLD was the stronghold of One Nation and Pauline Hanson, oh and that Joh for Canberra man, not too long ago... it's surprising it was the migration capital.

You only have to go for drive in the morning and look at all the VIC,NSW,SA,WA,TAS,NT,number plates each time you stop at the lights
that's not going to change,it's been like that for quite a while..willair..

have had a play with the chart to enhance the price differential. see original post to view.

if historical trend is relevant, it appears Brisbane is destined to trend up steeper, and Melbourne to rest.

added Brisbane Sydney comparison as well.

Last edited:
That graph is interesting enough!

For me the message from that chart is of the two places Brisbane is the better to buy in, which is counterintuitive to how the markets feel in terms of stock and current price movements newspaper articles etc.

Or perhaps Melbourne is due for a fall to follow brisbane to "catch up" and allow the next leg up in the graph which does not look like it is that far off if it follows its previous patterns.

Either way thanks for the graph!

graphs are fun but can mask over fundamental and permanent changes. In the timeframe covered, Sydney has been losing it's place as the #1 city as Melbourne recaptured the crown, one that it lost since it was a key city of the british empire.

There's something else happening too. Anecdotal evidence shows that overseas buyers of Australian property have been targeting Melbourne en masse as opposed to Brisbane/Gold Coast previously.

So taking this one step further you are saying that Brisbane is unaffordable and Melbourne is, relative to their demographic?

MJK
I think Melbourne with higher incomes can support higher rents and interest payments. I wouldn't call either market affordable but I would consider that Melbourne can afford more than Brisbane.

Back