Qld politicians get a 35% pay rise

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/03/29/13/37/qld-minister-rejects-pay-rise-scrap-call

What do you think about this?

I'm pretty angry about it, especially after they just closed down the school in my suburb and booted out 400 kids. Apparently they can't afford non-essential things like education but they can afford to award themselves massive pay rises...sorry I should say they can afford to "allow" an independent tribunal to award them massive pay rises. I wonder if I can pay someone at my work to "independently" award me a 35% pay rise. I would of course have to accept because it was someone completely "independent" that I have paid to recommend a pay rise for me. That sounds fair.

Oh and $3 million in back pay. Wow...just wow.

There is of course the argument that if we pay more we will get a better quality politician...the only problem with that theory is if you realise that the pay for politicians now is the highest it has ever been...so ask yourself is the talent from current politicians the highest it has ever been?

Campbell Newman gets paid only $50k less than President Barak Obama...

I'm not too sure if we should pay the politicians less or chip in the extra $50k for Obama.

Anyway would be good to hear some others thoughts on this one.

Obamas base salary doesnt include things like

1. Free accommodation at the white house.
2. Huge security contingent
3. Free food from a personal chef paid for by the US taxpayer
4. Free maids and butlers paid for by the US taxpayer.
5. Holidays and golf trips including security personell reported to cost millions of dollars per trip.
6. Taxpayer funded private jet
7. Taxpayer funded private bulletproof limousine.

Think 50k wouldnt even be close.

But Mike, doesn't Tony get free accommodation at Kirribilli House, security (though a lot smaller than Obamas but when i went and looked at his house in French's Forest there were 2 unmarked cars sitting right out the front that were clearly there for him).

Not sure if he gets any of the rest though.

Usual pollie trick. There is nearly always money to look after themselves. Just have to cut every other public service.

Indefensible.

But this can't happen. This forum has taught me that all union officials are greedy and corrupt, and that all coalition politicians are good and altruistic. I'm confused now.

But this can't happen. This forum has taught me that all union officials are greedy and corrupt, and that all coalition politicians are good and altruistic. I'm confused now.

There is no corruption here.

If people want to get riled up over salaries then they need to look at the many public servants who earn more than the politicians, ie. Mark Scott, boss of the ABC, earns a base salary of $678,940.

Yes, pay rises occur under other parties. But not 35%.

From what I could find, in July last year, the Queensland Coalition reversed a pay freeze which had been put into place in 2009 by the Bligh government. That rise already put them up with the highest paid state politicians in the country. Their base salaries went from $137k to $195k. That change hasn't been put into place until now. They will be back paid the raise dating back to July last year.

Federal pollies got 3% in 2013 and 3% in 2012. But they did get 28% in 2011.

So yes, both sides have received obscene rises.

It's not a good look for a government intent on cutting spending.

I would just love to see politicians try to do what we all do with our investments.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/turn...led-clem7-tunnel-sold-off-20130927-2uihw.html

There's an example where Campbell Newman invested a bit over $3 billion and managed to turn that $3 billion into $618 million. If we had that sort of track record with our investments I don't think we would be getting a $70 000 payrise. But it's just this amazing world in politics where they do a horrible job but still manage to profit personally.

It's very much like incompetent CEO's who screw up their company and yet still manage to give themselves a huge payout.

It's pretty messed up that our taxes are forcefully taken to fund this sort of rubbish. And that goes for both sides of politics. Although I do prefer labor because at least they tell you nice things before screwing you, Liberal's just skip straight to the screwing.

There are many extremely talented people out there -who would make ideal politicians- already earning salaries much bigger than politicians could ever hope to earn.

Unless these are already very comfortably off why would they take massive pay cuts to enter politics?

Why there are so many dud politicians who couldn't manage to earn what they do without a leg up, or without any experience relevant to managing large scale projects/economies.

Monkeys and all??

My understanding is the increase was awarded by an independent tribunal since there was a major outcry over salaries a mths back ?

ta
rolf

My question is how independent is the tribunal really?

Politicians set it up. I know if I was in charge of the tribunal, no matter how "independent" I am told it is, I would think "hey this is the first time the politicians who fund this tribunal have trusted us to sort out their pay. I can either give them no pay rise and risk them saying: hey this whole tribunal thing isn't working out because we didn't get a pay rise lets get rid of it...or I can give them a pay rise and secure my position in the tribunal for a long long time".

Not the most independent of situations. But I couldn't find any details on the exact setup of the tribunal. If they had guaranteed funding with no political motivation etc... then maybe it could work. But I'm guessing if they just decided on a massive pay rise for the politicians that they may be motivated by the...you guessed it: politicians.

35% payrise for themselves......mmm..... the sheeple will be upset for a little while but ultimately they''ll forget about it for the most part, as long as their social "benefits" and "entitlements" are left alone....

Anyone that believes "the system" is fair & unbiased is delusional...

I've no issue with politicians being paid well as this is what lowers the incentive for corruption which is a far bigger evil.

Public servants aren't elected to electoral office so don't face the same scrutiny as Ministers etc.

But at a high level aren't they subject to the same potential bribery as politicians, especially considering most politicians rely on senior public servants for the in depth briefings and information?

So if we increase politicians salaries for that reason the same logic dictates increading senior public servant wages.

But at a high level aren't they subject to the same potential bribery as politicians, especially considering most politicians rely on senior public servants for the in depth briefings and information?

Perhaps but the ultimate decision is made by the senior Ministers, not public servants.

So if we increase politicians salaries for that reason the same logic dictates increading senior public servant wages.

Well many public servants already get higher salaries than politicians do....just look at the head of any major Government organisation - so I don't think that's the issue.

Back