Quakers Hill area?

Hi all,

Am looking to buy my first home in the Sydney area, in the areas around Riverstone, Schofields, Quakers Hill.

I have a reasonable knowledge of the Riverstone and Schofields area as I lived in Riverstone for a few years when I was younger with the family. I am now venturing out to purchase my first home through co-ownership with a friend from school, whom I've known for many years.

Now, just wandering if anyone here knows much about the Quakers Hill area? Our budget is maximum $400k which DOES restrict us a bit. We don't want units, townhouses, duplexes, etc. We are looking at purchasing something that we can build a granny flat on after we have purchased the property, although this is NOT essential.

I know there is "the old side" (which many people tell me is the "bad side") and then there is the "new side" of Quakers.

So what I am asking is, does anyone know much about the area that can give me a little nudge in the right direction?

You'll struggle to buy on the eastern side (newer) of the railway line at that budget with land large enough to build a flat.

On the western side (older) you may have more luck and up into Marayong.

You'll struggle to buy on the eastern side (newer) of the railway line at that budget with land large enough to build a flat.

On the western side (older) you may have more luck and up into Marayong.

That's what I thought. Is the "older side" the bad side though? That's what I've been told by a few people, but then others have told me there isn't anything wrong with it.

I've found one in Tallagandra Drive, is that a good area or bad area?

What's your definition of a bad area?

Tallagandra gets a fair bit of traffic.

Bad area... That's a good question. Perhaps an area that has a higher amount of police having to come out to? E.G. Thefts, break and enters, etc.

Yes, when I went there the other day, to do an inspection, it did appear to be a reasonably busy road, but not too bad. Also, I know that having bus stops nearby is a good thing, but this one has a bus stop right out the front of the property. Can't park your car out the front then :/ This'd be a bad thing, right?

I am now venturing out to purchase my first home through co-ownership with a friend from school, whom I've known for many years.

Hi Kael

I will let others go on about the pros and cons of the area.

I would suggest that unless you have trouble getting your own finance together, and you must buy jointly, hat you do NOT buy a home with another person that isnt your life partner. The reasons are:

1. Over time, your goals will diverge and force an exit to your joint investing ( obviously not always, just usually)

2. If either of you ever want to do something by yourselves, you will be saddled with the FULL debt and half the income when the lenders assess u for a standalone deal. This is called "joint and several Liability. There are limited ways and lenders to get around this

3. You are burning ONE FHOG. between the 2 of you, you are entitled to one FHOG only.

ta
rolf

Hi Kael

I will let others go on about the pros and cons of the area.

I would suggest that unless you have trouble getting your own finance together, and you must buy jointly, hat you do NOT buy a home with another person that isnt your life partner. The reasons are:

1. Over time, your goals will diverge and force an exit to your joint investing ( obviously not always, just usually)

2. If either of you ever want to do something by yourselves, you will be saddled with the FULL debt and half the income when the lenders assess u for a standalone deal. This is called "joint and several Liability. There are limited ways and lenders to get around this

3. You are burning ONE FHOG. between the 2 of you, you are entitled to one FHOG only.

ta
rolf
Hi Rolf,

You raise a valid point... I already know about the FHOG issue. But the issue with the full debt and half the income, I did not. Thanks for pointing that out.

Perhaps it would be wiser for me not to do a joint venture then? It's been very daunting thus far, especially with it being with someone else whom, as you said, isn't my life partner. Ah so many choices and decisions to make... I see why buying your own home can be such a daunting and scary task!

Thanks for the tips.

Hi all,

Am looking to buy my first home in the Sydney area, in the areas around Riverstone, Schofields, Quakers Hill.

I have a reasonable knowledge of the Riverstone and Schofields area as I lived in Riverstone for a few years when I was younger with the family. I am now venturing out to purchase my first home through co-ownership with a friend from school, whom I've known for many years.

Now, just wandering if anyone here knows much about the Quakers Hill area? Our budget is maximum $400k which DOES restrict us a bit. We don't want units, townhouses, duplexes, etc. We are looking at purchasing something that we can build a granny flat on after we have purchased the property, although this is NOT essential.

I know there is "the old side" (which many people tell me is the "bad side") and then there is the "new side" of Quakers.

So what I am asking is, does anyone know much about the area that can give me a little nudge in the right direction?

Hi Kael

I know QH very well :D
$400K on a block to accommodate a g/flat is only possible on the older side (underside of station) and you will need to be prepared to renovate extensively for this money. I bet that Tallagandra house is the one with the new kitchen but nowhere to fit a dining table? I looked at this house a while ago for a client but we knocked it back due to this... the lounge room was simply too small to fit both lounge and dining.

Look out for high HC streets on this side, though closer to the station is ok.
Best of luck

Hi Kael

I know QH very well :D
$400K on a block to accommodate a g/flat is only possible on the older side (underside of station) and you will need to be prepared to renovate extensively for this money. I bet that Tallagandra house is the one with the new kitchen but nowhere to fit a dining table? I looked at this house a while ago for a client but we knocked it back due to this... the lounge room was simply too small to fit both lounge and dining.

Look out for high HC streets on this side, though closer to the station is ok.
Best of luck
Hi Jacque.

The one I mentioned before was this one here. It seemed decent but there were a few issues about it, such as cords hanging out of the new timber flooring at the wall :/ There's also a bus stop right out the front door, so no room for off-street parking.

From what I could tell in the Kitchen, there was room in the corner for a small dining table, but only a small one.

Forgive me if I'm being stupid but what do you mean by "high HC streets"?

Thanks for your post :)

HC = Housing Commission

Have a look at this link for crime stats in Blacktown LGA -

http://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/pages/bocsar_lga_crimemaps

The area is no different to other parts of Quakers Hill. I was a police officer there for several years and I can certainly tell you I probably attended Kings Langley and Glenwood just as much as I did with the older side of Quakers Hill (southern side of rail line). Every area has its own unique issues dependent on demographics. Hope this helps.

HC = Housing Commission

Have a look at this link for crime stats in Blacktown LGA -

http://www.bocsar.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/pages/bocsar_lga_crimemaps

The area is no different to other parts of Quakers Hill. I was a police officer there for several years and I can certainly tell you I probably attended Kings Langley and Glenwood just as much as I did with the older side of Quakers Hill (southern side of rail line). Every area has its own unique issues dependent on demographics. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the link and your comments - it's good to hear from someone who has been in the area! :D

I also agree with Rolf. Things change overtime, so I recommend buying personally.

Are you hoping to live there?
Yes, am hoping to live there and then later on down the track put a granny flat in.

Back