Queensland News

As far as the aggro goes, I think I can say, it's a global thing folks.....

As a species we are becoming less compassionate for our fellow man.... This is not a QLD/VIC/NSW issue, or even and Australian issue.....

Values are declining everywhere..............

My only hope is that a disaster such as the Tsunami, brings a little more balance and compassion into this world.....

You have to pee yourself laughing at the fact that Dubya only contributed USD 13,000 to relief efforts, when other "less important" people gave so much more................

This whole thread is a bit of a laugh.... If you had read the Draft Regional Plan for SE QLD, you would see that Beattie and his mob are looking to the future..... I for one, am settling on the Gold Coast when I return this year.... And I don't mean surfer's paradise.....

Punchy,

Agree with Kissfan, nice post.

Re traffic and aggression in and about Brisbane, its amazing how that disappears when you go into the much smaller regionals.
Maybe we're tribal and just lose the plot in big mobs.

A86

I don't know about this 'values are declining' thing.....

What's the timeframe for comparison?

How strong were values 500 years ago?

How strong were they 150 years ago?

If we're talking about a 50 year or less cycle in values, well maybe....

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Yep, will have to jump in the boat here and quite happy for the "Toad bashing" that may come with it. My point of view comes from a 25 year old as well so not as many years on the road. *Side note: I was also lucky enough to have completed a defensive driving course toward the end of my grade 12 studies which opened my eyes to not only techniques to avoid accidents but to the "INCREDIBLE" things cars can do!! If you ever consider putting your kids through such a hands on course, do it! It was the best thing I ever did in my driving life!!

Anyways, I was delighted with the travel times south over the holiday period. North Coast, another story! 2 lanes north and 4-5 south makes a massive difference. It may just be where I am but I am 20mins from Brisbane CBD and can be parked and on the beach at Surfers Paradise in 50mins. I recall going to the Gold Coast for holidays which was so far away!! At least 2 hours to Cooloongatta!!

I love my Vegas and have been here all my life. I must not drive where you guys do cause I rate the agro much lower here than anywhere else, particularly Sydney.

Just my view though...!

Dos

I'm from Melbourne and I agree with markpatric, you guys are nuts, you've been reading headlines again I reckon. :rolleyes:

MJK

aussierogue said:
see the queenslanders are in denial :D

Rogue,

Sorry, but you are "out" there........

I've lived in Melbourne, Gold Coast, Hong Kong & Singapore. I can tell you The Gold Coast, and indeed Brissie are a walk in the park when it comes to aggro on a daily basis......

I choose to return to the Gold Coast, as it suits my family's lifestyle...... But at least I've learnt a lot about the surrounding areas, and, not just the touristy parts as most ppl only remember.....

Freeatlast said:
Hi Free

If you had read the Draft Regional Plan for SE QLD, you would see that Beattie and his mob are looking to the future..... .

As a once famous Qld politician ( now, celebrity dancer) once said:
"please explain".

Sorry Free, I haven't read it, but am interested in your view of it's impact on Brisbane / Goldcoast.
And when does the "draft" become law?

GarryK

PS: I have to admire PH's ability to soldier on. Maybe we are relatively tolerant. I see she now has a "hunk" boyfriend.......must admit, she has great legs :D

Train = No road rage........ This goes for all parts of Aust.

Having said that, being a millionaire goes a lot further in Brisbane than it does in Melbourne or Sydney.

Dear Garry,

Draft plan is open for comment until February. Then it I expect it would take several months after this before it becomes "official" although there will not be many changes to it.

You know what the plan will do to the Ipswich City Council region.........
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122260&postcount=40
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122277&postcount=41

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone said:
Train = No road rage........ This goes for all parts of Aust.

Having said that, being a millionaire goes a lot further in Brisbane than it does in Melbourne or Sydney.

Cheers,

Sunstone.
Hi Sunstone
Train in Sydney = Another chance of being mugged. Obviously these type of cowards I am referring to pick their times and victims, but quite a few people do not feel safe travelling on the Sydney rail system.

In reference to money going further in Brissy, I remember some years back that a few of the Bronco players were knocking back contracts from Sydney clubs due to the fact that even on a lesser contract in Brisbane, they were still better off financially.

Regards
Marty
P.S Enjoy your posts

freeatlast

hey mr freeatlast. yes im 'out there' where i like to be in my ivory tower and all. see you like listing where you live - fascinating stuff! should call yourself mr national geographic

i myself have also lived in Melbourne, Sydney, Launceston, Singapore and Tokyo.

if you check the posts you will see i have never said anything derogitory about queensland or its commuters so im not sure where you are coming from. i merely posted the contents of an article in the financial review..

good luck!!

Last edited:
I'm Joining In!

Hi All,

I have read through the threads and having been born in Melbourne, raised in Sydney, call Brisbane home, spent 2 years in Osaka, four years in London (East London) and now live in Rock Vegas, I feel I can participate?

In terms of what everyone is discussing, the traffic is getting worse, but getting worse everywhere. Try driving through London during peak hour - that's hell! I also spent 18 months in Parramatta, the only place where I have had my car stolen and virtually run off the road.

Brissy has had it's fair share of house price fluctuations and stagnations but IMHO I can get more bang for my buck there than anywhere else. I looked into buying whilst in Sydney and my $180K deposit barely got me a look-in on a full demolition job in marrackville for $500k? My house in brissy cost me $160k is now valued at $700k and is tyen minutes from the CBD, airport and gateway giving me easy acces both up and down the coasts. I can get to Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast in 50 minutes on average. If my house value goes down by $150k in still sitting pretty IMHO

As a society we are all becoming a little more 'I want it now', but when you consider that you can now buy almost anything 'no deposit, pay nothing for umpteen years and then simply roll it over and pay it off [at 28%]' you can sort of understand why some people go down that avenue.

Salaries will always be higher in the larger centres - DUH, but cost of living is always relative, unless you get a Sydney package and live in Rocky (Just skitting here sorry).

I think the tsunami has helped people stop and think - There for the grace of god [which ever one you follow] go I.

My approach is to think globally and act locally, same as with my recycling! If we all do our own little bit on the ground then who knows, maybe we can become great rolemodels for our children and not just good ones?

Thanks for letting me share.

Gary
All know the way..............few choose to take it.

dabomb said:
Im looking for examples why SEQ should be such a good investment.

Well compared to Melb, I'd say that SEQ has :
1) better weather
2) cheaper cost of living
3) cheaper housing costs
4) closer proximity to Asia (and the rest of the world)
5) better theme parks
6) better beaches
the list goes on...

On a weekly basis I still hear of friends, peers, acquaintances, ex-colleagues, etc, making the move north to SEQ either for lifestyle reasons, or retirement. Not once have I heard anyone say that they are going to Melb to retire :)

So on that sample population, I'd say the property market in SEQ is looking good for both the short and long term.

(For the record I spent my first 25 years in Melbourne, so I'm not trashing it as I still have many friends, family and memories down there).

Ad(ios).

Front page of today's (Friday) Fin review
"Cashed-up Beattie plans $1bn spree"

"Treasurer Terry Mackenwroth has increased his surplus forecast by more than $450 million since the last state budget in June, lergely thanks to a resilient housing market and strong GST revenues and increased royalties from the state's coalmines."

One statement that caught my eye was:

"the chairman of the Real Estate Institute of Qld, Peter McGrath, said the state's housing market had slowed rather than crashed and had been countered by a buoyant commercial property sector , which attracts a higher rate of stamp duty." (my bolding).

I like to hear business's having confidence to expand.

That usually means more jobs, more people looking for somewhere to live....

GarryK

Garry_K - who wins Race1 at Flemington - ive got some spare $$$ I want to throw on a sure thing...

Today is Thursday in my part of the world =)

XBenX said:
Garry_K - who wins Race1 at Flemington - ive got some spare $$$ I want to throw on a sure thing...

Today is Thursday in my part of the world =)

No race results in Fin review, but I can tell you share prices at close of today (I wish) :D

Damm.....looks like Friday drinks tonight are off as well. :(

GarryK

Back