Question about Air con

Hi everyone

Another question form a newbie...

Our Townhouse has only been advertised for rent for two days and we have a client wishing to move in next week, great! The townhouse does not have air con. They have offered to pay extra for Air Con to be installed, which we were going to do anyway but Agent suggested not getting straight away but to wait and see what potential tenants say.

I want to buy a top brand so as not to have issues, esp with noise, or do we get a cheaper one that would be noisier to save a few $$$ ?

There are noisy neighbours in the next building so it would be beneficial to be able to close up the place when the neighbours are out on their verandah.

Thanks

found a few good threads on here lately about this...bit different as it is a potential tenant not a current tenant...

I would right a majority of the cost of the Aircon off across the term of lease (ie. $1500/52 = X per week extra, where $1500 is 80% of aircon cost)...

I would only get a no name brand, as these seem to be pretty decent for cost/quality etc

I just had one installed which was $1700 total including install (which was more than half :-( )...

Don't go no name brands!!!

Can be more trouble than they're worth when things go wrong. Espescially when you consider they cost as much to replace as they do to install.

If you're trying to stay cheap, don't go below Kelvinator/LG etc. These are all OK up to 3.5 kW as they are all very quiet up to this size.

Go the more premium brands Mitsu/Fujitsu/Panasonic etc where a larger unit is required and noise is a factor.

After getting angry at the heat we've had this week, I started googling aircon's to see what price I could get one for downstaris as well as th bedroom.

$499+ for Kelvinator, from Australia (small one though, 1HP maybe)

Not bad really, will cost at least that to get it installed

Do some more research, you will find some of the lesser name brands
use big name compressors., for much smaller price.

Our electrician contractors suggested the same thing. A lot of the less known brands actually use parts manifactured by the bigger brand companies. Worth looking into..
Kind Regards, Ana Stankovic

Be careful with the cheapies, including Kelvinator, LG.

The best are:
Daikin
Mitsubishi Electric

then Fujitsu,

then Hitachi,
Samsung,
Kelvinator,
LG,

Then the rest.

Be careful with the cheapies, including Kelvinator, LG.

The best are:
Daikin
Mitsubishi Electric

then Fujitsu,

then Hitachi,
Samsung,
Kelvinator,
LG,

Then the rest.

Where did you get that information from?
The best are those that are controlling an Inverter for motor ramping speeds.
Doesn't really matter what brand - because Inverter technology will exceed all expectations of a conventional motor/compressor control.

Just look for who has been building Air conditioners the longest. Likes of Carrier Air, Kelvinator, Daiken, and Teco which have been in the business for 30 plus years sort of tell you they must be doing something right. The rest only copy what is already been devoloped and tested by those mentioned above.

We have cheapies in our PPOR, three are great and one is a lemon.

I suggest you get one with a minimum 5 year guarantee in-home. That will ensure you don't have one die on you after a year or so.
Marg

We just got quotes for a split this week. Installer, who we have known and used for several years, said that Choice just published something saying Daikin is first choice followed by Mitsubishi, then Fujitsu (I think).

He said Daikin is very expensive and we are looking at Mitsubishi, which he also said is very quiet. Mitsubishi has a five year warranty.

Dont forget there are 2 Mitsubishi's when it comes to AC:

Misubitishi Heavy Industries and Mitsubishi Electric.

I have the ME version at my current PPOR but had a MHI at my old house.

Have a mate in the trade and says MHI are far better than the ME units and I have read other posts on other forums that state the same. I think there is some techo explanation regarding components/compressor etc.

He only sells MHI (the reason I got my first one) and TECO so maybe a bit biased in his opinion. Only got the ME unit this time cause it was at the right price :>)

Ive had Teco installed.... worse choice ever.
I also had a daikin installed in the same house... the daikin ran quieter and cooler. The teco was way too loud.

I have a Daiken (ducted version) in a premium property and yes they are more expensive but given the type of property it made more sense (including resale) for it. Remember if read some of the stories about the other manufacturers re availability of parts (particularly under warranty) then you have to wonder why in a IP you go for dirt cheap especially as tenants can now have non-working air con as a reason to discount rent.

So far I'm pleased with the Daiken above, so I'm in the process of putting wall unit Daikens into another IP at the moment.

As an a/c mechanic with over 15 years experience Daikin are the best by far. Have had them installed in all my ips in and PPOR in WA. Yes you get what you pay for and after 3 years in my current PPOR have NEVER had a problem with almost every day and night use.

Regards

The best are those that are controlling an Inverter for motor ramping speeds.
Doesn't really matter what brand - because Inverter technology will exceed all expectations of a conventional motor/compressor control.
I used to think the same, but a few people in the trade have since said to me that in most parts of Australia, the air is so hot that the air-con has to run flat-out to cool the air anyway, so it's not that much of a benefit. These people indicated that the inverters really only offer significant savings in locations with very mild climates, and where the differential between inside and outside air temperature is quite small. I don't know whether that's true, but that's what three different people in the trade have told me.
We have cheapies in our PPOR, three are great and one is a lemon.
I'm not an air-con expert, but I am a user who's purchased 22 air-con units in the last 5 years (for IPs and PPOR). Two are name-brands, the rest were the cheapest no-names I could get (<$800 installed). I think I had to replace one remote, and other than that none of them have skipped a beat. I may well have been lucky, just sayin'...

I used to think the same, but a few people in the trade have since said to me that in most parts of Australia, the air is so hot that the air-con has to run flat-out to cool the air anyway, so it's not that much of a benefit. These people indicated that the inverters really only offer significant savings in locations with very mild climates, and where the differential between inside and outside air temperature is quite small. I don't know whether that's true, but that's what three different people in the trade have told me.

I'm not an air-con expert, but I am a user who's purchased 22 air-con units in the last 5 years (for IPs and PPOR). Two are name-brands, the rest were the cheapest no-names I could get (<$800 installed). I think I had to replace one remote, and other than that none of them have skipped a beat. I may well have been lucky, just sayin'...

You wouldn't believe three people would could be totally wrong, but they are.
And if your not paying for the power then it doesn't matter. but when you do make sure you don't get your advice from those three

You wouldn't believe three people would could be totally wrong, but they are.
And if your not paying for the power then it doesn't matter. but when you do make sure you don't get your advice from those three

Which three people?

I stand by my what I've quoted.
I work with Inverter motor control every day of the week. (except weekends)
Outstanding savings in running costs can be made with Inverters. They can be tweaked to give better results than directly from the manufacturers by plugging in a comms cable to a Laptop and forcing control of ramp rates. (Only if your experienced with such things)

Which three people?

I stand by my what I've quoted.
I work with Inverter motor control every day of the week. (except weekends)
Outstanding savings in running costs can be made with Inverters. They can be tweaked to give better results than directly from the manufacturers by plugging in a comms cable to a Laptop and forcing control of ramp rates. (Only if your experienced with such things)

I think that what I said, you'll have to ask Perp which 3.

Back