Question about Pipes.

Fellow,

as part of my research for a property I'm interested in, I called the council and ask if there was something that I should be aware of.

The lady said that everything is OK but wanted me to make sure that there was a Sewer Main Pipe in the back of the property, and that if I wanted to build/extension then I'll have to get approval for that, and that it'll have to be 1.5 mtrs away from it.

I'm ok with that, but, is there something else you experienced investors know that I don't know about pipes ? will there be any potential issues in the future?

thanks!

why would there be an issue? every property has sewer pipes running across it somewhere ... you can even legally build over the top of them as long as it is encased in a tonne of concrete or the house is piered.

Look at where the sewer pipes are and decide whether their location would affect you if you wanted to put up an extension, put in a swimming pool, put up a garage or shed. Even if you don't have that intention, a potential buyer from you might.

Alos checking where they are will indicate whether the Vendor or a predecessor has built over them and then you would need to find out whether this was with or without approval.

Fellow,

as part of my research for a property I'm interested in, I called the council and ask if there was something that I should be aware of.

The lady said that everything is OK but wanted me to make sure that there was a Sewer Main Pipe in the back of the property, and that if I wanted to build/extension then I'll have to get approval for that, and that it'll have to be 1.5 mtrs away from it.

I'm ok with that, but, is there something else you experienced investors know that I don't know about pipes ? will there be any potential issues in the future?

thanks!

Sounds to me like you may be at the end of the sewer pipe running along your street/area.

I was about to purchase a property that had a "opening" that sydney water could use to service their pipe if there was something wrong. Dont think you can actually build over it or limit access to it. I would speak to your conveyancer and get it checked out.

Back