Question for Builders

Got a question for the builders out there -

How would I find out what the most common building materials being used out there are, and what price is being paid per unit for them wholesale? I don't need a comprehnsive list, just a few ideas so I can make some comparisons. I need specifications etc also so I can compare apples with apples.

Or, if any builders out there who are doing volume construction are willing to let me know even say two products they use most commonly and the specifications etc, and what price per unit they pay, I'd be grateful.

I'm asking to compare with some imported materials to see if it's viable to bring them in, particularly for central/northern queensland, but anywhere really.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm not a builder, but can give provide you a source of price indications.
The first place I always look for the best pricing is.....eBay.
I have always found the best prices there whenever I have bought materials, or anything really.
All these suppliers have geniune businesses and use eBay simply for marketing.
So it's good to source through eBay and buy from them directly.

Do builders really get a wholesale price on their products?
Or, do they just get a moderate discount off "retail" prices, which are inflated at times depending on the type of outlet?

Thanks Ace
Thats one point yes, more curious to hear from builders however as i daresay EBay and Grays aren't where they buy their gear from.

Got a question for the builders out there -

How would I find out what the most common building materials being used out there are, and what price is being paid per unit for them wholesale? I don't need a comprehnsive list, just a few ideas so I can make some comparisons. I need specifications etc also so I can compare apples with apples.

Or, if any builders out there who are doing volume construction are willing to let me know even say two products they use most commonly and the specifications etc, and what price per unit they pay, I'd be grateful.

I'm asking to compare with some imported materials to see if it's viable to bring them in, particularly for central/northern queensland, but anywhere really.

Thanks

Matt
Matt,it all comes back to one word "Volume",and what you intend to import,and most of the buy reno split sell people that i know all buy their entire materials from the auctions,anyone walking blind into one of the big outlets and look at their floor prices to get a idea would be getting into dangerous waters,so my question is what do you intend to import?..willair..

Hi Willair, thanks for the reply and questions.

It's still a 'how long is a piece of string' situation. We can access anything we want, but rather than go importing a bunch of things people don't use or want, we're researching what people do use and want.

Generally speaking though you could include, bathrooms, showers, plumbing, flooring, water tanks, lighting, wall panels (composite etc), tiles, etc etc.

We're also making sure what we do import meets all the Australian Standards in their specifications, which again is why we're researching before spending a dime :)

Hi Willair, thanks for the reply and questions.

It's still a 'how long is a piece of string' situation. We can access anything we want, but rather than go importing a bunch of things people don't use or want, we're researching what people do use and want.

Generally speaking though you could include, bathrooms, showers, plumbing, flooring, water tanks, lighting, wall panels (composite etc), tiles, etc etc.

We're also making sure what we do import meets all the Australian Standards in their specifications, which again is why we're researching before spending a dime :)
With the plumbing side of things very little is made in Australia anymore
not in fittoff materials,HWS,Rainwater goods,Flashings,would be the only
Australian labour is used,I hope you find something that no one knows about but it has to a standout,and priced in the lower levels,a person i know only imports SS-Brass-Steel,door hinges,and safety locks that fit inside the solid door panel and dead lock into the floor,i know what they cost door to door from SEA,he started with low sales be he has built that up over the last 5 years he started at the Nth Nsw markets,i think he has it up too now 3-5 k a week in after tax dollars,he runs the business from one of our properties,good luck willair..

Back