Question for developers (Smaller development in better suburb or larger in others?)

Hi All,
I am a very fresh developer trying to learn as much as possible whilst I complete my first development to the rear of my PPOR. Thinking of the future though I am keen to know what developers think about the topic.

I think an example may help with what I mean :). Two suburbs I am thinking of are East Keilor and Broad meadows. The price for development land in these 2 suburbs is around 200k difference (650m with a demolition job)

Now given my lending ability I would have 2 options. I could buy more expensive land in EK and develop 2 properties (I would not have enough lending ability for 3) or I could buy cheaper land in Broad meadows and develop 3 properties. The 200k I saved on land would be the cost for the additional townhouse.

I understand there are endless considerations to this scenario such as whether i would be selling/buying, future growth, rental yields, suburb analysis.etc.

But just throwing it out there. Apologies in advance if it seems like a stupid question.

Choose the one that will provide a decent profit in the quickest time at a risk level you are comfortable with. Also look at the financing side to make sure you can fund it.

Choose the one that will provide a decent profit in the quickest time at a risk level you are comfortable with. Also look at the financing side to make sure you can fund it.

Hey OC1,
Thanks for quick reply!
In regards to funding I was thinking it would be the same as in the cheaper land cost in Broadmeadows would allow for the additional dwelling to be built.

But I guess that is part of my question. Would it even be much more expensive to build 3 smaller townhouses as opposed to 2 larger ones? If you had the same land size, say 700m and fully maxamised the land, would there even be a drastic cost difference considering the 2 dwellings will be very similar in size to 3?

I guess more questions would be is it harder from peoples experience developing 3 as opposed to 2? I know town planning will be more a challenge but what about other factors?

And I suppose a final question (and in advance I know this has a lot of variables) on completion would you rather have 2 dwellings in a better suburb or 3? Is there benefits to owning 3 as opposed to 2? Or worse because more to sell. Ahhh so many questions! :confused:

albanga, you are approaching it the wrong way.

Its not about which is cheaper or which of the two sites can render a higher yield in terms of number of end units. The question should be

a) which of the two sites has a higher ROI
b) which of the two sites can you afford i.e. have the funding for

This is all you should be asking yourself, anything else is just noise.

fincancing the project

Keep in mind building 2 houses you can usually get away with standard residential finance, but building 3 or more may push you into commercial finance territory (I'm no mortgage broker though), any brokers like to elaborate on my point.....

Back