Question regarding realestate.com.au

Am I the only one getting really annoyed/frustrated with realestate.com.au, with the slow speed of their searches due to flashy adverts etc...? :mad:

Is there any way I can disable these annoying @#%^ ads and just get to the results, without all that unnecessary garbage that slows up the search process?

I keep trying the other property sites, but they're really hit and miss with listings, and in my experience, realestate.com.au is far best to use for property listings.

Thanks in advance. :)

Agree - How about the new ad (re.com ad actually), with the silhouette of the guy waving, saying to place your real estate advertisement here. That's annoying :(

As for your question, I have no solution, but I would doubt there is something that disbales them.

I don't see any ads in my realestate.com.au (just opened it up to check, no ads at all)

Just use Firefox + Adblock.

Edit: sometimes adblock doesn't block all the ads so you have to right click on the ad or click on the adblock button to remove it. This means I only ever really see an ad once - after that it's gone!

Go to Tools and then Add ons. On the box that pops up click get add ons. Far right in blue "browse all add ons" click oin this.
A new page will open.
Up the top search for Add Block. It will be the one with ABP in a red stop sign picture. Right hand side click install. Restart firefox
When restarted a new window will open asking for subscription. Subscribe to the top one (from Memory) easy list USA. Click subscribe down the bottom.
All Done by by Adds.
PS. My first peice of advise yay im so pleased to contribute. Pc tech and wanna be property investor here. Will glady exchange IT for investment info lol.

Go to Tools and then Add ons. On the box that pops up click get add ons. Far right in blue "browse all add ons" click oin this.
A new page will open.
Up the top search for Add Block. It will be the one with ABP in a red stop sign picture. Right hand side click install. Restart firefox
When restarted a new window will open asking for subscription. Subscribe to the top one (from Memory) easy list USA. Click subscribe down the bottom.
All Done by by Adds.
PS. My first peice of advise yay im so pleased to contribute. Pc tech and wanna be property investor here. Will glady exchange IT for investment info lol.

Was getting excited for a minute there, but couldn't find "browse all add ons".

Then when you said Firefox I knew I was totally stuffed. Thanks anyway. :p

Any way to do this on Windows XP home? Thanks

Any way to do this on Windows XP home? Thanks

Windows XP home is an operating system - not a browser.

You would normally use IE (Internet Explorer) or Firefox or some other to browse web pages.

The settings Evad gave were for Firefox web browser. I use it too - no ads pop up for me either.

Windows XP home is an operating system - not a browser.

You would normally use IE (Internet Explorer) or Firefox or some other to browse web pages.

The settings Evad gave were for Firefox web browser. I use it too - no ads pop up for me either.

Thanks, but no advice for those using internet explorer, apart from download Firefox?

Yes. Open internet explorer, type in the address bar: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Hit the big green button in the middle of the page. When it has finished loading say "Yes" to the question "Make this your default browser?".
Problem solved. :D

Downloading it as we speak. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Maybe this will be a defining moment in my internet learning experience, when I can see the light, trumpets will sound and Jesus will speak to me...., or perhaps I can get rid of those bloody ads in realestate.com.au.

Thanks.

Have you tried www.property.com.au ?
It has the listings of re.com, but with no advertising, and I find the search/filtering functions a lot easier/faster to use..

Yes, I have thanks, but not for a while I must admit. Will try again.

I give all the 'others' a trot every now and then and usually just go back to re.com.au, for if you're not listed on there, you don't exist it seems.:)

Before and After with AdBlockPlus...

Thank you!!

So far no ads and much quicker searching on realestate.com.au

Everybody should know about this or am I the only dunce left?! :eek:

Hi oneuppmanship,

Ads *really* bug me. They slow down the web site, increase your Internet usage, collect information about your surfing habits (Ie, evade your privacy) and are a general nuisance.

When things really bug me, I tend to not force it, but "get a bigger hammer".

Adblock Plus is that big hammer: http://adblockplus.org

It's all very well and good to try and block images and Adobe flash animations... but they'll just reappear when the web master of these sites decides to upload newer images. You could block on a wildcard instead of a particular image, but it's a bit hit and miss.

I use Adblock Plus to hide certain elements of realestate.com.au completely.

Don't like that scrolling ticker that show cases the lenders? Simply "Select element to hide", then choose the ticker. You can even hide text.

Have a look at what I've done with ABP:

Before (note this is only HALF of the webpage):

re-before.jpg

After (this is the complete webpage with all the crap removed):

re-after.jpg

Cool, eh? :D

I actually had to stare at realestate.com.au with all the ads for a moment. I haven't seen ads in years. How the hell does anyone put up with this?

Hi oneuppmanship,

Ads *really* bug me. They slow down the web site, increase your Internet usage, collect information about your surfing habits (Ie, evade your privacy) and are a general nuisance.

When things really bug me, I tend to not force it, but "get a bigger hammer".

Adblock Plus is that big hammer: http://adblockplus.org

It's all very well and good to try and block images and Adobe flash animations... but they'll just reappear when the web master of these sites decides to upload newer images. You could block on a wildcard instead of a particular image, but it's a bit hit and miss.

I use Adblock Plus to hide certain elements of realestate.com.au completely.

Don't like that scrolling ticker that show cases the lenders? Simply "Select element to hide", then choose the ticker. You can even hide text.

Have a look at what I've done with ABP:

Before (note this is only HALF of the webpage):

re-before.jpg

After (this is the complete webpage with all the crap removed):

re-after.jpg

Cool, eh? :D

I actually had to stare at realestate.com.au with all the ads for a moment. I haven't seen ads in years. How the hell does anyone put up with this?

BRILLIANT!! I've seen the light.

Thanks.:D

Yes, but did you hear trumpets sounding and Jesus speaking to you? (as was your hope yesterday).

Wait a minute...!!

Now, that I think about it, something was telling me, "Get off the computer, it's just a house......" - and a car tooted it's horn as it drove past.

Could have been Jeevers, or the wife, I'm not sure. Sometimes it's too close to call.:D

Back