quick cost estimate -help needed

Hi all,

Have a property that has building and pest inspection report as a condition of purchase and the following has come back as needing done. Any thoughts on a rough estimate please? I have my own but just want to sense check.

Immediate work required:
- Removal of loose aspestos under the house and in the roof cavity - roughly "3 to 4 bin loads" (we think large recycling bins)
- under the house the water and waste pipes (half old, half new) are leaking and need tightening
- this leaking has lead to dampness (hopefully the only cause?) and the middle concrete stump has sunk. this needs chocking.
- The roof is the original (1960's) corregated iron roofing and needs immediate repair in 2-3 spots (holes in the roof).
- Additional plumbing work is required for the 2-3 toilets in the property
- There is a spa on the property that requires a new fence around it
- some minor handy man work to the rear deck
- cracking in the asbestos sheeting near the laundry requires attention

Future work (~5 years):
- replacement of roof

So thats basically what the report says. I am very concerned about the asbestos that has been sitting under and above the house for 40+ years. I am sure the heat and weather impacts (this is a beach-side house) would have deteriorated it and there would be a lot of dust. Aside from the health impacts of living there, additional costs from the roof works, and plumbing/chocking works under the house would arise from these potential health issues.

I cant really see this all coming in under the $15k mark (plus future work).

Anyone have any thoughts please?

Cheers

Ben

Hi all,

Have a property that has building and pest inspection report as a condition of purchase and the following has come back as needing done. Any thoughts on a rough estimate please? I have my own but just want to sense check.

Immediate work required:
- Removal of loose aspestos under the house and in the roof cavity - roughly "3 to 4 bin loads" (we think large recycling bins)
- under the house the water and waste pipes (half old, half new) are leaking and need tightening
- this leaking has lead to dampness (hopefully the only cause?) and the middle concrete stump has sunk. this needs chocking.
- The roof is the original (1960's) corregated iron roofing and needs immediate repair in 2-3 spots (holes in the roof).
- Additional plumbing work is required for the 2-3 toilets in the property
- There is a spa on the property that requires a new fence around it
- some minor handy man work to the rear deck
- cracking in the asbestos sheeting near the laundry requires attention

Future work (~5 years):
- replacement of roof

So thats basically what the report says. I am very concerned about the asbestos that has been sitting under and above the house for 40+ years. I am sure the heat and weather impacts (this is a beach-side house) would have deteriorated it and there would be a lot of dust. Aside from the health impacts of living there, additional costs from the roof works, and plumbing/chocking works under the house would arise from these potential health issues.

I cant really see this all coming in under the $15k mark (plus future work).

Anyone have any thoughts please?

Cheers

Ben

Not liking your chances of getting that all under 15k. I could see that blowing out to 20k pretty easily, as I think once tradies got in to fix your issues there may be other ones discovered.

This is in no way a professional opinion however.

Asbestos ? find somewhere IMO.

The guys who remove that have very large calculators by what I read.

At the very least get a professional quote for the job, I have read of some nasty shocks for removing that.

How do they remove the stuff in the roof cavity, take off part of the roof ? break it up and pass down the manhole ? then vacuum the whole roof cavity ? could get exxy ................$$$$$

The asbestos will probably be the biggest cost, you will be looking from $25 per sqM up + GST. The companies don't tend to quote for removal, just a figure per sqM to remove. Each state has its own legislation covering DIY removal, for example, in NSW you are allowed to remove up to 10sqM yourself, anything over you need a licensed contractor but check on the appropriate websites for your state.

Each state has its own legislation covering DIY removal, for example, in NSW you are allowed to remove up to 10sqM yourself, anything over you need a licensed contractor but check on the appropriate websites for your state.
Thanks for that information,I didn't know the rules,:cool:

Back