Quickest way to get rid of mice

And after the first one is caught, the rest of them (yes, remember they always travel with their entire family) will wait in hiding, so they can strike too.

BR

When you shoot these things you should always load both barrels. Always keep one up the spout so when you kill the first one you can quickly take out it's mate who will attack, not from the front but from the side, where it has been watching, watching, watching...

I had a problem once and used a rat zapper. The are awesome. Look them up on eBay.

Do they die where the rat zapper is placed? If I put one in the roof cavity, would I have smelly dead rats up there, or do they get a zap and avoid the area? I looked them up on ebay but there is very little information to explain how it works. It takes 4 AA batteries, but that is all the information I could see.

Edit: I just googled and found this out. Might just give this a try. There is a rat (I'm quite sure) overhead where I'm sitting right now, scratching away merrily. I just want to get rid of the rats but not harm or kill the possums. I'm guessing these look small enough at 4.5 inches high that a possum will not get in. Maybe hubby will have to modify the opening a little to make it smaller.

I looked them up on ebay ....... It takes 4 AA batteries, but that is all the information I could see.

Works well with Rats, they love it........Especially since they only need 2 of the AA batteries to keep their mousepads charged...... (plus 2 spare)

Get in a professional - a cat.

Go find someone who needs a good home.

Can't do the mousetrap thing - very rarely die straight away. Stay away from poison.

Anyway, dex is right, it's a living creature.

Shouldn't have let the snake go.

I think snakey is still around. Before he came inside, he was on the fence outside one day curled up around the handle of a rake and resting against a timber joist thingy of the fence. I guess he could be in the roof, but if so, he probably would be taking care of the rats? I know for sure there has been a rat in a wall cavity fairly recently because the little blighter has scratched or eaten a hole in our plaster. We have it taped up now (behind a couch).

I'd love it if snakey was in our ceiling eating anything (except the possums).

Do they die where the rat zapper is placed? If I put one in the roof cavity, would I have smelly dead rats up there, or do they get a zap and avoid the area? I looked them up on ebay but there is very little information to explain how it works. It takes 4 AA batteries, but that is all the information I could see.

Edit: I just googled and found this out. Might just give this a try. There is a rat (I'm quite sure) overhead where I'm sitting right now, scratching away merrily. I just want to get rid of the rats but not harm or kill the possums. I'm guessing these look small enough at 4.5 inches high that a possum will not get in. Maybe hubby will have to modify the opening a little to make it smaller.

They die in the zapper. Then you just empty in the bin.

Where there's one there's a whole family.

Watch out for the rest of them!

I hear they grow really really big and sneak up on you whilst you're fast asleep in bed.

True !

One particularly bad mouse plague we had in the '80's the mice were indeed in bed.
You'd wake up and they were running all around the place and biting my toes in bed!

Didnt help that we lived in a house in the middle of wheat paddocks as far as you could see.

The roads were covered in mouse fur from the road kills.

True story, ask TC about that plague, it was a shocker.

Like anything though, you get used to it.;)

We bought some traps and poison wax blocks last night. My husband found one caught in the spare room this morning. I put a barrier under our bedroom door to stop them coming in. We put the wax blocks in the ceiling and under the house. Hopefully that's the first and last live sighting

Problem solved.

HugeGun.jpg

Do they die where the rat zapper is placed? If I put one in the roof cavity, would I have smelly dead rats up there, or do they get a zap and avoid the area? I looked them up on ebay but there is very little information to explain how it works. It takes 4 AA batteries, but that is all the information I could see.QUOTE]
I love my Rat Zapper, Wylie. I've never actually caught a rat but my mouse and large cockroach count is high:D. The zap kills the creature and the trap must be emptied into the bin. The downside is that you can't leave the zapper on if you are absent for more than, say, 3 days as you'll come back to a very smelly trap.

cheers

Hubby puts out blocks - don't know the name but they make the mice thirsty so they leave the house in search if water and die. So no smelly dead mice to dispose of.

Had our cat catch one once and ah was so proud she came squealing in, jumped an the bed and dropped it there for me. These days they leave them on the door step to show us what a good job they are doing.

Sadly I have decapitated a few field mice with the ride on - as much as they are a pest it was not nice to see

l always laugh when people are so horrified at a tiny little mouse. They're harmless. Bit of a pain in the butt but harmless.
Our area had a plague this last 6mths and l think my house was top of the list.
They were popping up on the tops of couches and watching dvd's with us and everything.
Sitting on the can and one would just casually hop over your foot- wtf :(

Tried everything , they just kept coming.
Then my mate said you buy the big 1kg pack of rat sack , put it in the roof , under the house , rafters in the sheds , all over the joint and wait a wk.
So l did that and bingo. Haven't seen a mouse for mths now.
Bit worried about the dog for awhile there as l got a bit sloppy with the rat sack but his been fine so.

ps , mind you my place is an ac with lots of trees , wild life and sheds.

Last edited:
I deal with rat/mice complaints on a daily basis at work (Council).
Believe it or not, they're everywhere and most people just happen to not have spotted one with their own eyes. They are small, quick and not that easy to spot if you're not on the look-out for them.

Only thing you can do it bait. If you have pets or children, buy bait stations which are secure. You need to bait continuously for at least 2 weeks to have any real effect..most people bait and then once bait is taken don't bother to top up.

Other preventative measure include picking up fruit droppings, not stacking any building material, wood etc directly on the ground (ideally 30cms), keeping lawns low, keeping compost heaps covered, covering animal feed and just preventing as much potential food source and shelter as possible.

The presence of chickens and fruit trees and neighbours with unsightly yards that are not maintained increases your chances of having the presence of rats/mice visit your property, nothing you can do except take all the preventative measures and bait. Not a pleasant thing but baiting really is the most effective means to control it.

Bait along the perimeter of the house as well as near hot water systems (they like it there) and in and around sheds.

The other thing with a plague, it will eventually dissipate when disease enters the colony and of course spreads like wildfire.

Bang ! No more Mices ;)

Nothing you can do when experiencing a plague except mass poison as explained by Random above, but it still takes a bit of time and putting up with the blighters is all you can do in the meantime.

Back