Quirindi - Country NSW

I've only been doing DD for about an hour on this place, but its got my attention.

Nice new houses, new estates, good rental return and no idea of vacancy rates, (yet, but I'll get to that after I've done this post)

Anyone got anything to say about Quirindi? good or bad?

Luvvit

do you have anything good or bad to say about it?

like maybe where the hell is it?

and why did you start looking into that area?

I was born there. Probably not relevant for your DD.

I've driven through it a couple of times. Quickly. It's hot and brown.

I think the 'Qu' is pronounced as a 'C'. That might help if you're talking to locals.

It's probably an hour south of Tamworth - upper reaches of the Hunter Valley I guess.

Not sure what happens there. I sort of get the impression that big centres like Tamworth can suck the life out of smaller surrounding ones.

Funny that it's a town that never gets mentioned anywhere.

Scott

hmmm
more of a question off the top of my head Farmilor, not really looking at sinking the life savings in the place or anything like that.

The reason It caught my attention is the quality of some of the homes that are being built there on new estates. The yeild on rentals is pretty good, and unlike depreciator who is, in his heart, a country boy :p I've never driven through it and was seeking the observations of those that have.

the new homes and yeild was making me wonder whats out there and if anything new was happening to the town to warrant new investors....

Anyone else know the town?

The new homes and yeild was making me wonder whats out there and if anything new was happening to the town to warrant new investors....

Anyone else know the town?

Quirindi was booming until recently. I think it's still doing OK, but I'd think property prices may have dropped a bit in the last 6 months. There is plenty of work, and rentals are in short supply.

Quirindi is the main service town of the southern part of the Liverpool Plains. So it has the machinery and rural merchandise industries and other related agricultural industries. The main street has been done up and a new grocery store gone in.

No great water problems for residential. Plenty of underground water. Nearly a 700 mill average rainfall, so that's not bad.

But the main thing that's been going on recently is BHP wants to long wall mine coal from under the farming land. BHP is already buying up farms and paying double the current values. Causing quite a stir and is very conflicting. The towns folk in general probably think it's good, but farmers in general are not happy, cept of course the ones who've sold.

Long wall coal mining under alluvial flood plains..?? Have a think about it?

A Chinese company has also paid 600 million for the exploration rights further out hoping to dig up the farm land. :eek: BHP destroying Australias best broadacre farm land is bad enough, but the Chinese..!! :mad:.. The NSW government is obviously all for it and promoting it, as they make a motsa and they are broke.

One thing to remember is that property prices doubled from about 03 to 06, as they did in most of this part of the world. Partly due to the cycle spreading out from Sydney, and partly due to the commodities boom, so if you believe in cycles, then Quirindi wouldn't take off again for a while.

Acreage properties have been a goldmine. 10 to 100 acre properties could well have been 4 baggers in a decade.

The weather has been very kind in recent years, and the farmers, especially ones growing grain have done well. Due to the deep water holding soils, agriculture does better than most other areas in drought, and drought hasn't been too bad anyway.

The new homes..?? I'd guess they are people speculating that coal mining will take off in a big way. There is already a small coal mine just north of town. Another development could be a new rail tunnel under the range.

Quirindi is a nice little place, and probably more prosperous than most.

See ya's.

Last edited:
The new homes ?

Just had a look on realestate.com and I'm surprised at how few new homes are left. There was dozens and dozens just a few months ago. I'd say either they've been snapped up thanks to the FHOG, or perhaps BHP has bought em.??

A sister town of Quirindi is Werris Creek, just to the north a bit. Werris Creek was almost dead 20 or so years ago as it was a railway town, but automation and increased efficiencies ment most people lost their jobs.

It came back to life as a sort of cheap housing suburb of Tamworth. People mostly live there and commute to jobs in Tamworth. Werris Creek is not real attractive, as one whole side of town is railways and sheds and trains and stuff. But it would have much cheaper houses, and thus better yields than Quirindi.

I saw on the local news last night that Tamworth is having a property boom thanks to the FHOG. Maybe houses haven't dropped at all in these parts now. Dunno?

See ya's.

Hey luvvit, it's a good weekend drive up that way from Sydney. There's nothing like checking things out first hand. Nice at this time of year, too. Do the loop up through Maitland, Singleton, Muswellbrook, Quirindi, Tamworth and then over to Walcha and down Thunderbolt's Way through Gloucester. Walcha is a great town (not talking from an investing perspective) and Thuderbolt's Way is a fantastic drive.

Scott

I actually live in Quirindi.....it beats to a very different drum than Tamworth and while Quirindi had it's recent building boom, Tamworth was stalled and now is going again on the back of the Extra FHBG...

Vacancy rates here have always been low but the rents have always been low too due to the lower levels of wages. But....that is slowly changing and the town itself undergoes a revolution in demographics as TC mentioned....large scale mining is here to stay no matter what protests are put up and you will always have the very rich agricultural economy propping it all up.

A very large automated sawmill has begun processing the pine plantations at Nundle which should last about 30yrs...then the trees planted today will be ready to harvest and it goes on....

The other thing benefitting Quirindi in the last few years has been the tree changers and retirees from the more urban areas on the coast and cities. This is where the acerages are being sold to the people getting out into the country with a bit of space around them and no traffic or crime to speak of....

Quirindi will have as many as 2-3 property mini cycles in any given year.....right now it's flooded with stock but 12 months ago you could not find a brick house for sale.....plenty of fibros and weatherboards but the higher end of the market is still a fledgling......

I would call it a growth centre for now but not your 'forever' growth like Tamworth will obviously have with it's services and facilities. Quirindi is only 45mins south from Tam, and many people work in Tam and three schools buses head that way each day. Sort of a satellite centre of Tamworth as well as having it's own major industries now.

Now, stay away it's our town...locals only...!:p

Only jokin'''head on up...take a look around and PM me if you need to meet for some local knowledge.

Last edited:
If you were born there, and if you are older than about 35, you would have been born in this building,.......

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=23465517&s=nsw&tm=1238553785

It used to be 'Shirley Hospital', the local maternity hospital. Maternity was then moved to the main hospital. It's now a block of flats.

See ya's.

I Lived in that building for a few months back in the 80's TC....everyone would ask....'do you hear the screams of the little babies...?'

It was the possums in the roof.....:rolleyes:

Back