Radical Tax Reform

Just google 'Henry George' and you'll find heaps about it.

Eg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_George

Peter

The argument that any restriction on the private ownership of lands (and it's associated resources) as simply pure communist idealogy can really be debunked by this apt quote from the above wiki article.

"since natural resources are given freely by Nature rather than being products of human labor or entrepreneurship, no single individual should be allowed to acquire unearned revenues by monopolizing their commerce".

Very interesting point indeed....

The argument that any restriction on the private ownership of lands (and it's associated resources) as simply pure communist idealogy can really be debunked by this apt quote from the above wiki article.

"since natural resources are given freely by Nature rather than being products of human labor or entrepreneurship, no single individual should be allowed to acquire unearned revenues by monopolizing their commerce".

Very interesting point indeed....

It's not a communist conspiracy (are the League of Rights over-represented on this forum or what?) ;)

Though I accept it ould be political suicide, it's actually a very simple and elegant way to collect tax.

Once you accept that govts need a specific $ amount, you simply want your tax system to be effective, efficient and fair.

The upside of taxing something like land instead of the literally 1000s of taxes we have now (with all the attendant costs of collection and effort spent avoiding) is that it can't be hidden and gives great certainty.

Simply look at the value of land held in private hands, assess the $ required to run the show and calculate a rate. Run it like witholding tax giving people/companies the option to pay as they go (the amount owed can be set in advance and fixed). Obviously it would flow through to rents, costs and everything that is made or grown on land (which, of course, is everything) but the savings from managing the current dog's breakfast would end up in our pockets.

Down side is it would effect export industries at the same level as domestic industries, but, again, not needing thousands of accountants and tax lawyers would save a bomb.

Interesting academic argument but the average punter would run a mile in spite of the fact that they are being stung everywhere at the moment and would be paying less tax overall as a result of the inherent efficiency of such a model.

Ultimately, like the GST, it is too transparent to be politically acceptable.

Though I accept it ould be political suicide, it's actually a very simple and elegant way to collect tax.

Once you accept that govts need a specific $ amount, you simply want your tax system to be effective, efficient and fair.

The upside of taxing something like land instead of the literally 1000s of taxes we have now (with all the attendant costs of collection and effort spent avoiding) is that it can't be hidden and gives great certainty.
Ultimately, like the GST, it is too transparent to be politically acceptable.
Agree.

ATO collected $248B in 2006-7,
there are around 8M households (ignoring commercial premises or farms),
that adds up to around $30K tax pa for each household.

If companies pay no tax I can see a lot of multinationals setting up here - we wouldn't be v. popular with the rest of the developed world.

Agree.

ATO collected $248B in 2006-7,
there are around 8M households (ignoring commercial premises or farms),
that adds up to around $30K tax pa for each household.

So you are fine about paying $600 PW tax for the privilage of owning a property? What does that do to the rental market? I see a huge increase in the homeless.

So you are fine about paying $600 PW tax for the privilage of owning a property? What does that do to the rental market? I see a huge increase in the homeless.

You misunderstand -

I agree it would be political suicide,
I agree it's actually a very simple and elegant way to collect tax.

I agree with removing the literally 1000s of taxes we have now (with all the attendant costs of collection and effort spent avoiding)

I agree it is too transparent to be politically acceptable.

I also think that it's not worth spending time thinking to much about it. I prefer to think about things that are likely to happen & that I feel I have a reasonable amount of control over.

If it did happen (or look like happening) I'd adapt - I'd consider selling IPs, I'd consider selling PPOR, I'd consider moving O/S, I'd consider renting, I'd consider investing in stuff that gave me more personal benefit.

Since most of us already pay $600pw in taxes (GST,income) then I'd guess that in order to ensure renters continue to pay their share of tax, then that cost would be passed though to them as higher rents.

So you are fine about paying $600 PW tax for the privilage of owning a property?
Isn't it just replacing the $600pw in tax you already pay in income tax/stamp duties/GST/council tax etc with one tax of relatively the same amount?

What does that do to the rental market? I see a huge increase in the homeless.

Homeless people are homeless because they can't/choose not to work. Anyone with a job would still be able to rent with their higher disposable incomes thanks to no taxes other than land tax, so perhaps that means better rental returns?

Isn't the US model similar to this idea - property taxes are around 10% of land value, US property investors invest for yield (20%+ gross) & any CG is a bonus.

Didn't stop speculation there though.....

The problem is that capital and labour is still taxed. This discourages productive invetsment and encourages speculation. The argument is NO capital or labour taxes, and taxes on things that are scarce and not produced by anyone (such as land).

Back