Rain water tank requirements in SA

I am really hoping someone can help me? We are about to put in an offer on a property that is only 12 months old. There is no rain water tank but I thought that after 2006 all new homes must have one installed??? This is an investment property & we will be renting it out but not sure whether we would be responsible for putting in a tank???? A family member installed a tank on their home & the cost of the slimline tanks & plumbing & pump etc was over $3000 so not a cheap exercise! Any information or advice gratefully received!

The council is Onkaparinga if that helps?? WE have submitted an offer with a clause requesting the compliance with the regulations ie installing a tank prior to settlement - so we shall see what happens!

South Australian building rules require that new dwellings have an additional water supply to supplement mains water.

Either al plumbed minimum-sized rainwater tanks or:

a recycled water scheme
connection to a community rainwater storage tank.

The additional water supply must be installed before a house or extension is occupied.

The rainwater tank should have a storage capacity not less than 1,000 litre. This is additional to any other water storage tanks that might be required for bushfire fighting purposes.

Back