Raising vs Digging Down

Has anyone enquired into either of these options?

Our house isn't legal hight down below because it was built in. We see it as a bonus because the house isn't sitting on a slab so we can just dig down to get more height.

I was told that both are the same price because either way you have to remove all the walls and start again.

Any advice?

BIS

On digging down, you will have to give consideration to the "one in one hundred year flood level." Below this, it would not be advisable nor in most cases legal to dig below.

I am assuming that (like myself) you have a raised Q'lander.
Ours is not quite legal height and if we want to raise it we have to use the 1 in 100 year flood level as the lower bench to work up from. This could be different for different councils - ours is Cairns.

If its not a Q'lander then disregard.
You could always seek out the regulations of your local council or speak to a surveyor for specific info on your area.

I don't know the correct term but it looks like a raised cottage which has been built in underneath.

We live within 6 k of the CBD and live on a hill.

Raising

BIS,

Have just been through the process of raising my Queenslander. It is alot of work, inparticular with associated works such as excavating, reconnection of services, slab, stairs, new gas meter/hot water systems depending on age, relocation of electricity switch board etc etc, then building in under as well.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and i will do my best to try and help.

Matt

One of the biggest expense of raising a house is generally in the amount of steel you use.

If you want large rooms on the ground level then you will need larger beams running across the house...this means increased cost.

The cheapest option is to put steel posts on existing bearers. However this will be an ugly and impractical option.

I had my house cut,spun and raised currently undergoing renovation.

BIS,
imho..
if you live on the high side of the hill,i would go up as high as you can
to legal requirements, one item i like to look with inner city properties
that are on hills,is if you climb up to the top level of the roof and see
what the views are like, some most have m/b bay views.then if you requie
more areas later you still have the lower sections to refit out..
good luck
willair..

The reason for wanting to lift/dig down is so we can get more rooms in undernearth, not views .
BIS,
alowing for all the rirks involved,and how experienced
you are at the management of your project,then to me its
just another reno,up or down,i find its less costs to go up..
by the way what hill is the property on,no views?
good luck
willair..

willair said:
by the way what hill is the property on,no views?
good luck
willair..

If next door removed their large mango tree we would have views to Mt Cootha, in Brisbane, from our back deck. At this current time we just have views of more hills/moutians, which we like. The sun sets behind them in the afternoon.

Thanks for your thoughts on which way to go.

Cons for digging down,

- You may hit any underground pipes like sewer, stormwater etc.
- You may need some retaining walls as well as a drainage system behind it, ie. ag pipe & gravel.
- Will the footing of your posts be sufficiently deep that excavating around it won't affect the stability of your home?
- All that money spent, and you barely noticed a difference :) I like my home high.

Pros for digging down,

- You will not need Council approval for raising your building height, assuming you are in a character area with surrounding queenslander homes, on a small lot.
- You will not need to extend or replace your external stairs, due to height differences.
- Your plumbing etc should require no work done to it.

Personally, I would raise the house, a bit of extra overall height won't hurt, and may give you some extra views that will certainly improve your property value.

Up up and away

Bis

If it was me, I'd go up. I have done a house raise and restump, which was a bearable project. I have also done an excavation under an existing dwelling (because I had to - it was already over 13 metres from top of roof to natural ground !), which was quite the opposite. Ended up with Engineers crawling all over it, huge concrete plinths needed - etc etc

If you go up you can see everything you are dealing with and likely get a firm quote. No problems with damp, better views, less chance of being built out, all the rest :)

If you go down, no one knows what's under there and like a swimming pool you'll get a quote with potential variations if they hit something unexpected.

There are plenty of experienced restumpers in Brisbane who could get it up in the air for you :) (I have had trustworthy recommendations for 2 if you want to PM me, and I have also used one I would never go near again)

On that subject make sure they have all the right insurance. A few weeks ago did you see the Highgate Hill (I think) couple who tried to shift a house across a block - it fell off the chocks and landed with a thud. Write off :eek:

Last edited:
Quotes on raising

Bis and I discussed this in PM and agreed to share the question because :

1. I'm no expert, I've only done one genuine complete restumping (and a few partial ones!)
2. It might generate better advice from someone more knowledgeable in such areas

So ...

Bis : Is there any way to get a quote from a builder on raising a house? I assume you need to get plans built and put through council. What I am trying to find out is a solid amount with the least amount of money spent.

TryHard : I have never managed to get a quote from a builder without draftsman's plans, but a house restumper will quote you a per stump price to raise "x" metres. Then I guess if you work on $1,200 per sqm for reno's downstairs plus of minus any input you're prepared to have, you'll be on track

Bis : How do I go about getting plans? Do you know the costs and steps involved?

LONG ANSWER

My guess would be to do it this way :
a) Get at least 2 reputable restumping firms to come and quote for raising the number or metres you want to go up. Presumably they will include demolition (and salvage of the good stuff?) in their quote, and optionally reconnection of all services.
b) For plans I have in the past used a local draftsman who charges between $300 - $900 ish depending on the level of complexity. A good draftsman should be able to measure up based on your new suggested height and do a new plan for downstairs based on what you want. The bonus being they can specify the quality and grade of materials you need.
c) With the draftsman's plans in hand, approach 2 reputable builders (depending on how much you want to be involved) for a quote on the building in underneath. If you have specs of all the finishes and materials, they only need the tape measure and their Bunnings Trade Services rep. to price the materials.

Add 20% contingency to the final figure from above, then I think you have your worst case complete project budget.

The types of things I remember you need to consider from left field are (and some are reverse of the Khanga's pros for digging down) :

a) Replacing stairs (and or fitting new internal stairs) - these add up :p
b) Internal walls - ie. do you want to remove some stumps and replace with Reinforced Steel Joists to give you more living space without stumps in the way ? (make sure the restumper quotes for this if so) - sometimes needs an engineer therefore extra cost
c) Choose a downstairs cladding in keeping with the character of the house
d) You'll need a slab and termite prevention (or if you're on a hill and a slope, would you need a floor fitted?)
e) Drainage will likely be an issue for slab construction (no biggie so long as its done right at the start)
f) As you work will need Council approval, BCC loves this opportunity to bring things up to spec (ie. you may need upgrade to electrical circuit board etc)
g) Try to plan toilets and plumbing as close to in line (ie. underneath) the existing as possible
h) Use a private certifier to deal with all the council B.S on your behalf
i) No reason why you can't stage it in Phase 1 completion and a later phase 2 for some of the niceties (eg fitting a bathroom etc)
j) Your windows will need to be in keeping with the windows upstairs. Timber windows cost a lot. Maybe aluminium replica stuff would look ok ?

I think (managed closely and planned carefully) building in underneath is great value (you're already got a free roof after all!) but I can see how some projects run away from the budget - I think the key would be a proven draftsman and builder combo who have worked together or at least both have plenty of experience in similar jobs, particularly if this is your first one.

You might save a little subby-ing in a plastering guy and sparky / plumber after the builder does the main fitout. I think painters are worth their weight in gold especially for ceilings and cornices etc :) ) (ie. my rollers and trays are gathering dust in the shed, time is too valuable)

SHORT ANSWER

I think a rough estimate would be :
1. Number of stumps on existing house x $1,000 = $A
2. Size of downstairs area in sq metres x $1,200 = $B
3. Contingency ($A + $B) X .2 = $C
4. Stairs - $4,000
4. Draftsman - $1,000
5. Council / certification - $2,000

So
$A + $B + $C + $7,000 = a very rough project estimate

I hope that helps. Like I say I am only part-experienced, but others here may clarify or have other advice :)

As Jake the Peg said, "See you up on stumps" :)
TryHard

You might save a little subby-ing in a plastering guy and sparky / plumber after the builder does the main fitout. I think painters are worth their weight in gold especially for ceilings and cornices etc :) ) (ie. my rollers and trays are gathering dust in the shed, time is too valuable?

Try Hard,
just keep this in the back of your mind,
your builder should have all the quotes
on plumbing,slab,elec,frame,why will you sub
these trades out as the builder will have this in the total
price or are you just paying the builder for the rough/ins
then subby all the work out,if your builder works this way
then the costs will blow out,once the walls and slab go down
the roughins of all trades have to be in place,or buy a sledgehammer
and a jackhammer to rip everything out,and start again..
good luck
willair..

Rough jobs

Hi Willair

Fair enough point. I have a trusted builder who does a great job but mainly likes doing the carpentry and just brings in subbies for the rest, and I am comfortable project managing, and getting them to work in sync has never been an issue (actually that's not quite true :) ) . But I agree with your point - there's a lot of peace of mind in leaving it all in one capable person's hands.

Bis, no prob - I hope it brings more good clarification like WillAirs.

Cheers
TryHard

Matt Mc said:
BIS,

Have just been through the process of raising my Queenslander. It is alot of work, inparticular with associated works such as excavating, reconnection of services, slab, stairs, new gas meter/hot water systems depending on age, relocation of electricity switch board etc etc, then building in under as well.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and i will do my best to try and help.

Matt

Hi Matt
did you do any of this yourself? If not, can I ask how much it cost all up? And can you recommend someone todo this? I live in Brisbane and am about to start the process, so any advise will be appreciated.

Cost ?

Hi Matt

Would you be prepared to post rough costs and what you get for them ? Just I have seen many similar questions on removals and restumping, and everyone seems to be in the dark as to what a 'real word' project costs.

Only if you're prepared to, but I think lots of people would find it v interesting

Hope you are enjoying your new extension

Cheers
Tryhard

well got a same question
Here is a picture of a house.
Should i dig down or go up?

The house is almost top of the hill, on a slope. It's surrounded by brick lowsets from 3 sides.

bigger pics on http://russian.pohuy.com/house/

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of house4.jpg
    Resize of Resize of house4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Resize of Resize of house2.jpg
    Resize of Resize of house2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 273
Hi Strannik

Maybe get a couple of house raiser / restumping people to have a look ? Doesn't look like a difficult raising job based on my limited knowledge

Cheers
Carl

well got a same question
Here is a picture of a house.
Should i dig down or go up http://russian.pohuy.com/house/
Strannik,imho.......
When you look at the established houses on the three sides and the way
they reflect the status of the area,and even if you go up with this property
you may find it will be hard to blend this house into the
character of the suburb,also look at the roof lines of the other houses
you will only be able to go to that level.to me a house like this is land value only.
Even if its the worst house in the street.good luck willair..

Back