Raising vs Digging Down

Actually Strannik, Willair is right in relation to the character of the house it doesn't look like the typical style people try to salvage the character of. If you raised it, it'd probably need verandahs all round to give it street appeal, and if you added up all the potential costs it might be cheaper to bulldoze and build again. All depends on the location and your needs for the property I guess.

Well i plan to live in it for about 5 years, but i wanna add equity so i can use it to buy IP's. I was thinking about making a veranda going all around the house.

Raising

Sorry guys, didnt realise this thread was back.

Ill try and post costs as best I can, however it was in 2003 that I went through the process.

In rough sequence:

Draftsperson plans - $1600
Building Certifier (Building approval) $800/$900 (including Qleave etc)
Disconnection of services (Gas/Elec/Water) ~$500 nominal cant remember if i even paid someone to do this
House raising - ~$17,000 included 6 freestanding posts for deck
Excavation should of been ~$3000, I spent more like $10,000 broke a sewer pipe which I was never told about and we had alot of rain at that time as well so the ground was constantly wet, also hit rock digging the footings.
Plumbing (underslab, reconnection of gas/water, new hot water system) ~ $3000
Electrical - new switchboard ~ $800
Slab - $9000
Driveway $3000

So this got me to a stage where I was ready to build in under, and live in upstairs with everything reconnected, put new deck on back of house etc.

The building in process (for me was 2 bedrooms, bathroom, laundry, loungeroom, and internal stairs, single lock up garage) was about another $60,000 or so.

Raise total - $45,000
Building in - $60,000

Total $105,000

Back