Random questions for country folk

When you live out on a farm, what do you do with your rubbish? Does the council still collect it? Do you take it to the tip once a month? Or do you just dig a big hole in your back paddock?

Also, is it possible to grow/farm anything (legal) on 15-20 acres that would create any significant income? Or is that really too small for anything? I mean, presuming the soil, water, weather, etc., was suitable, could you do anything with that sized land?

Just wondering (not seriously) what life on a hobby farm would be like.

Hi Luce,

We have lived on acreage of many & varied size in acres.

But currently we have 6.5ac close to town and is classed as "rural" so no town water or kerb & gutters or rubbish pickup service.
Must add though, our rates are therefore much cheaper than in town.

So....

We take our rubbish into the local waste disposal facility in town.

We can grown whatever we like that is legal.

We still have to apply for building permits for variuous structures according to our local council bylaws.

In saying that though:

1) You have neighbours you have to live with and being "country" you should get along with them as it's not like the city where neighbours are not so social of accepting.
2) those neighbours also look out for you when you are away and also help in ways that you may not be proficient in and could be very handy. Same goes for you with them.
3) The country is different to the city, & even to the local townfolk at times.

Depending upon the size fo the hobby farm you could grow anything that could make you millions or not much at all. Up to you if you have the skill, fortitude and resources to back you.

But life on a hobby farm is great, just get a good ride-on mower and love it...LOL!!

When you live out on a farm, what do you do with your rubbish? Does the council still collect it? Do you take it to the tip once a month? Or do you just dig a big hole in your back paddock?.

In the kitchen we separate rubbish into scraps, burnables, and non burnables. So the scraps is food leftovers. Goes to the chooks or pet rabbits. The burnables is anything that will burn, it gets burned in an incinerator out the back near the wood pile and where we have bon fires and camp oven parties. The non burnables is put in wheely bins and sometimes taken into the local rubbish tip and recycled, or if we are feeling lazy, I get the front end loader bucket and dump it in a big hole down the back. The hole also gets filled with other farm rubbish like wooden crates, bags, and anything else that will burn, or wont burn, then one day you light it up, and then what ever is left after the fire, gets buried when it's full and then dig a new hole.

Also, is it possible to grow/farm anything (legal) on 15-20 acres that would create any significant income? Or is that really too small for anything? I mean, presuming the soil, water, weather, etc., was suitable, could you do anything with that sized land?

Just wondering (not seriously) what life on a hobby farm would be like.

I'd think there would be some crops that would be economic. 10 years ago a small vinyard and winery might have worked, but I think all that is a bit crook these days now there is a wine and grape glut. Some sort of specialty fruit or vege growing, perhaps organic might work, but lots of labour involved.

I'd stick to owning a hobby farm for the enjoyment of it.

See ya's.

Cheers folks. It's interesting to hear how other people deal with things that city/town folk take for granted, like garbage services.

I've lived in the country before, but never outside of town. The longer I stay in the city, the more I think about vegetable gardens and horses and a healthy life for my future children.

Actually, something I've been thinking in the last day or so is that I could do things the Spanish way: have a house in the village and a plot of land outside the village.

On that plot of land they typically grow veggies, etc., and have a bbq and a basic building with kitchen/dining facilities. So you can take a walk/drive to your plot, pick what you need, cook it fresh, and eat it right there. I've done this a few times with my husband's family and it's a lovely thing to do.

Then, of course, if there was anything else I could grow on the same block that would produce some income, that would be great. Thinking about truffles or saffron, or something else that's pretty expensive but doesn't need too much space.

Will keep thinking about all these things from our little 1 bed flat in the middle of the city :)

Actually, something I've been thinking in the last day or so is that I could do things the Spanish way: have a house in the village and a plot of land outside the village.

Something else for you to think about:

You might know the place past Molong (Larras Lea) with all the old train carriages. Apparently they go for about $1200 bucks!
Perfect to wack on that block as a weekender - just need to dig a septic pit, set up a tank, and a little solar system.
Perfection!

Thinking about truffles or saffron, or something else that's pretty expensive but doesn't need too much space.

Do a bit of research on saffron and you might change your mind. It's pretty hard. And truffles take years and years. I saw something on telly about someone here growing vanilla beans - they're expensive. Might not be a great idea to grow a small valuable crop on a block of land you're not living on. It would be a nice way to supplement your income and make a block pay for itself.

Do a bit of research on saffron and you might change your mind. It's pretty hard. And truffles take years and years. I saw something on telly about someone here growing vanilla beans - they're expensive. Might not be a great idea to grow a small valuable crop on a block of land you're not living on. It would be a nice way to supplement your income and make a block pay for itself.

I run about 40 dorpers on 400 leased acres. So far, next to no work.
The rougher the country the better. 50% of the time they have twins, and they lamb twice a year. No shearing either.
Hope to breed up a few hundred in the next couple of years, and replace the 60 cattle that i've got out there.

If you live on more than an acre be prepared to spend a lot of time on your ride on mower, so buy a comfortable, efficient one :rolleyes:

I did read that some upmarket delis and restaurants will pay for specific herbs to be grown for them. Generally herbs tend to grow easily and are quite hardy. To harvest simply cut and dry in bunches so it sounds reasonably easy BUT I haven't actually done it so best research it yourself :D

Something else for you to think about:

You might know the place past Molong (Larras Lea) with all the old train carriages. Apparently they go for about $1200 bucks!
Perfect to wack on that block as a weekender - just need to dig a septic pit, set up a tank, and a little solar system.
Perfection!

My uncles did that for my grandmother. Stunning workmanship as they are carpenters.

I'll see if I can find some photos of it. Old Red Rattler, complete with graffiti.

Best granny flat ever.

Dorpers would be sheep, Locko?

Do they all hang around together? Must be hard to round them up if they spread across those 400 acres.

Do people still steal animals in the country? 'Rustler' is an American term, but we must have an equivalent.

Have to say I envy you people in the country sometimes. Except in droughts. And maybe winter. Wouldn't be keen on the middle of summer, either. I think I'm stuck here in the city.

<<Do people still steal animals in the country? 'Rustler' is an American term, but we must have an equivalent.>>

"Cattle duffers" is the strine version I think :)

Do they all hang around together? Must be hard to round them up if they spread across those 400 acres.

Do people still steal animals in the country? 'Rustler' is an American term, but we must have an equivalent.

Have to say I envy you people in the country sometimes. Except in droughts. And maybe winter. Wouldn't be keen on the middle of summer, either. I think I'm stuck here in the city.

Back when I lived on a farm as a child, someone tried to steal three horses...

Didn't go too well. :)

My uncles did that for my grandmother. Stunning workmanship as they are carpenters.

I'll see if I can find some photos of it. Old Red Rattler, complete with graffiti.

Best granny flat ever.

Would love to see pics of that!

Dorper Sheep ay? Sounds ideal!

Yep. Dorpers are a South African breed of sheep that don't need shearing. They also have other goat characteristics that make them ideal for rough Aussie country.

They stay pretty tight knit, which is also a dis-incentive to foxes.

Haven't had anyone steal anything yet, but i would be very suprised if it happened. This ain't Sydney ;)

Yep. Dorpers are a South African breed of sheep that don't need shearing. They also have other goat characteristics that make them ideal for rough Aussie country.

They stay pretty tight knit, which is also a dis-incentive to foxes.

Haven't had anyone steal anything yet, but i would be very suprised if it happened. This ain't Sydney ;)

You mean this isn't NZ? ;)

a healthy life for my future children.

Unfortunately, that's actually a misconception. People living in urban areas have better health outcomes, longer life expectancy, lower suicide rates and better mental health than people living in rural areas. I'm not sure how regional "centres" would compare to urban areas though, but I assume it'd probably be more favourable.

Back