Rate fears mount as jobs boom

Rate fears mount as jobs boom
Feb 10 11:54 (FIN Review)

Australia's supercharged labour market added new jobs at a rate nearly 10 times as fast as the market expected in January, narrowing the odds of the Reserve Bank raising interest rates more than once in the coming months.

The unemployment rate remained a near three-decade low in January, but would have fallen even further had it not been for a large spike in the proportion of the eligible workforce looking for jobs.

The official labour force survey, released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Thursday, scared the life out of an already jittery bond market and drove the Australian dollar up almost half a cent to US77.5¢.

The numbers reinforced market expectations of a near-time rise in official interest rates after the RBA explicitly warned on Monday that upward pressure on prices and wages was likely to force it to tighten credit soon.

"This report is strong across the board and will only reaffirm the RBA's tightening bias," said RBC Capital Markets economist Michael Every..

The number of people in work rose by a seasonally adjusted 44,500 last month, totally eclipsing median market expectations of a rise of 5,000 and more than twice as strong as even the most optimistic individual forecast.

The unemployment rate was unchanged at 5.1 per cent, its lowest reading since 1976. But it might have fallen further last month, had it not been for a big increase in the workforce participation rate to 64.1 per cent from 63.8 per cent.

The composition of the increase in employment was fairly evenly split between full-time jobs, which rose by 24,400 and part-time, which rose by 20,100.

The Reserve Bank, in its quarterly policy statement early this week, paid particular note of the strength in the labour market and higher employment costs in warning that the risk of an interest rate rise had increased.

The RBA noted that the robust labour market was at odds with the relatively weak picture of the economy that emerged in the September quarter national accounts.

It is also out of keeping with unusual weakness in the official monthly measure of retail trade, which the central bank has said may be due to sampling variation and in any case captures only 40 per cent of consumer spending.

Alongside the official measures of employment, the central bank also noted private surveys are pointing to strong demand for labour and emerging skill shortages in a wide range of industries from construction to accounting.

However, official measures suggest economy-wide wage costs are rising only moderately. And some economists say without hard evidence of a wages breakout, the bank may find it hard to justify raising interest rates anytime soon.

On that score, the next major focus for the market will be the RBA's preferred measure of wages growth - the Australian Bureau of Statistics' quarterly survey of wage costs, to be released on February 23.

"There would arguably have to be real weakness in the wage cost index to temper the RBA's hawkish bias," said Mr Every.

"In short, further rate hikes - and we use the plural here deliberately - in this cycle look even more likely than before, and the timing leans towards March rather than May for the kick-off."

The results spooked the futures market. Bill futures, an indication of where markets sees official rates heading, were 11 basis points off their highs and fully priced for two rate rises by the second half of the year and leaning towards a third.

The September contract was down 8 basis points at a price of 94.15, which implies a yield of 5.85 per cent compared with the RBA cash rate of 5.25 per cent.

Reinforces my comments that rates are still to rise.

The fact that unemployment stayed stable becasue more got in speaks volumes for how much cash is yet to hit the economy. CBA makes huge profit.

Rates are to rise like night after day and for those with equity to buy at the bottom, things are getting interesting.

But

When to buy? Just after they drop? Shock value? :confused:

What do you think. HOw much and when.

I say two rises total 0.5% in three months time.

Peter 147

Just wonder if these unemployment rates take into consideration the amount of people that are employed only on a casual basis.

Regards
Marty

kissfan said:
Just wonder if these unemployment rates take into consideration the amount of people that are employed only on a casual basis.

Regards
Marty
I believe, and I will accept correction, that one hour per week constitutes "employment". They do also collect figures on full time equivalents and various other things, but I thinnk the 1 hour figure makes up headline employment.

quiggles said:
I believe, and I will accept correction, that one hour per week constitutes "employment". They do also collect figures on full time equivalents and various other things, but I thinnk the 1 hour figure makes up headline employment.

True but this has always been the case so a rise of drop is still pro-rata more jobs. How much is full verus part time is recorded as well but as stated, it still mean jobs.

Peter 147

I believe that's true, quiggles, but it's always been true. It's not some new adjustment created to make recent figures look rosier (in fact, since this government made its ability to prevent interest rate rises a feature of its platform, they have at least some incentive to make the employment figures look not _quite_ so good).

I'm no expert, but the Reserve Bank sounds determined to raise the rates.

Did anyone else notice that the day after the Reserve Bank's policy statement, saying that rate rises were likely, that both the business community and the real estate industry, both of whom have been upbeat, suddenly came out with research that things weren't as good as they had thought (CPM research's auction results for December, and the NAB's "economy at a turning point" business analysis)?

Funny...

B.

quiggles said:

Interest Rates

There is no question that interest rates are going to increase. That is a foregone conclusion. The questions are 1- by how much? and 2 - how quickly?

If people haven't planned for substantial increases then they should be ready.

Hi guys,
Listen I don't know much about economics and such, "just a blue collar worker". The company I work for is associated with the building trade. Before Xmas we were so flat out we could not keep up with all the work.

The new year is totally different, every one with orders for March, April are cancelling or halving orders, have had to reduce staff hour drastically and about to do it again, I have not even brought all staff back from xmas. On the rumour circuit within the industry all are in the same boat.

An interest rate rise now I see will have a big effect on our bussiness and the building trade (housing).

My thoughts
John

Hi Brizzy Boy

Be ex building trade I understadn you logic but sadly that is the boom and bust as you would know.

When I lived in COffs Harbour many of the tradies or builders lived in the northern beaches because when it went sour they

1. surfed
2. built their own homes

The rest of the sconomy is pumping. And Sydney :rolleyes:

Tradies in short supply, Canberra worst I hear.

Maybe time for change?

Peter 147

Peter 147,
We supply both wholesalers and builders alike Australia wide, so no possability that I can have a change as we have noticed the drop off across the whole country, so after all my staff are gone I may have to look at the surf!!!

LOL
John

Brizzy Boy,
I think you are a very accurate, and quite astute "leading indicator". The truth is the average Aussie is now more in hock than we all were when interest rates were at 17% ! So the market only needs the THREAT of interest rate rises to make it nervous. But there's more to this economy than building and construction. Employment is tight. Car sales just had a fourth year consecutive record....so ....Interest rates will rise. :)

LL

Peter 147 said:
True but this has always been the case so a rise of drop is still pro-rata more jobs. How much is full verus part time is recorded as well but as stated, it still mean jobs.

Peter 147
Oh, sure - I think it was changed in the late Fraser/early Hawke years. However, a couple of hours a week is not a job in my view as far as impacting the real level of employment.

On the subject of stats and interest rates, I do remember Malcolm Fraser taking housing out of the CPI caluclation to 'lower inflation'. to the best of my knowledge, no-one has had the courage to put it back in again. so the RBA's CPI target is exclusive of RE prices!

hi guys

first off hello i have been lurking and reading a lot of threads here for a while but thought id weigh in now. im thinking of getting my 1st ppor soon (within 6 months) and maybe my 1st ip not long after that.

from the rba's statment on monetary policy, it seems to me, the biggest thing the rba will be watching is available capacity to meet the currently strong demand that does not show signs of slowing. they need to temper domestic demand so exports can increase (among other things). the breaking of the drought (or at least signs of it) will also help exports. australia needs to increase its exports. the rba is expecting inflation to be 3% by 2006 ... still a way to go. also, credit growth (ala loans) is lower than last year, but still quite high (12%).

i think 0.5% in 3 months is too much too soon. i would say 0.25 soon (within 2 months), then another 0.25 within another 4 months. in my mind, then the pinch on housing will really be felt. maybe in the later parts of the year we will see another 0.25. it will all really depend on how the first increase is handled.

this is all just guesses though, but how it seems to me.

As an economist, I make a great plumber. So any helpful comment would be appreciated.
Anyone care to hazard a guess what happens to the real estate market and the stock market respectively as interest rates rise ?

How would an interest rate rise affect Sydney properties generally ?

How would it affect the stock market ?

:confused:

crest133

Crest133,

Depends on the time between this latest statement from the RBA and the time they actually raise rates...The longer the time, the more time people, companies have to incorporate the impending rise into their planning....which will tend to smooth the negative impact

Will tend to think that given the buyoant state of the sharemarket, that it will do little in the short-term....Interest rates have a relatively long lag time before their effect becomes noticeable in anycase...

As for property, given its general soft state, it will add another dampening effect on the market...bit what extent, you go first..

think of interest rates as the price of money. the theory goes that interest rates represent reward for delayed consumption. if i have $10 and lend it to you, thats $10 that i cant spend right now. ill hit you up for interest over the period of the loan. you pay me back $11 in total, and that $1 is my reward for delayed consumption.

the higher the interest rates, the higher the price of money (ie it costs borrowers more) and the higher the rate of reward (ie lenders would rather lend at 10% than 1%)

when interest rates are high, money is expensive. this means people dont want to borrow as much. when people dont want to borrow as much, they are less willing to pay for high property prices. this leads to the low auction clearance rates we are seeing now, which means vendors are not getting the prices they want. as a consqeunce, the property market cools

as i understand it, for the stockmarket, high interest rates = high rewards for being a lender, which generally means more money enters the stock market and it increases (as we have seen over 2004).

Brizzy Boy, I always take note of industry suppliers like you, as leading indicators.

I am hearing exactly the same as you say. THings are slowing. Smaller builders who have bought land, and applied for DAs, are happy to flick the project, and take a smaller profit now. However, if they can't get a reasonable price, they are building. This is the case out in Pine Rivers. Don't know about anywhere else.

I have even heard from a senior banking executive, that they expect interest rates to drop this year, rather then go up. They said this last week!

Maybe the RBA are playing PR games at the moment, trying to cool an irrational sentiment driven market. If they keep coming out with all these warnings that they will increase interest rates, then they expect to kill off some of the emotional momentum that has run up over the last 2 years, without having to actually raise rates.

I wouldn't like to call what will happen this year with rates though.

The financial reporter ot the ABC News (Alan Kohler ?) is rather canny IMO, and I have a lot of respect for his opinion. He seemed to be fairly certain that the first rate hike will be next month !

Also, following is a part of an article I lifted a few weeks ago, from Money Week mag called "Not Waving, Drowning"

UK related, I know, but it would not be a waste of time to read and contemplate, particularly by those whos say

"don't worry, a couple of .25% increases to come - rates will never be 17% again"

Point is, most borrowers are maxed out at 6%, so even small fluctuations, (particulary given the existent large principals) are going to be a worry !

------------------------------------
The optimists say that it doesn’t matter if interest rates this time stay higher for longer since they are already at very low levels for this stage of the cycle. But this misses the point. The reason why interest rates are important is that they are one of the two factors that determine the all-important burden of debt servicing costs that people will have to pay. The other factor is the total debt outstanding. To look at one and not the other is to miss one half of the equation. Since interest rates have been low for several years, people got used to them being low and, instead of keeping their repayments low, many opted to keep their payments flat and raised their debts to the maximum this strategy allowed. While debts kept rising, rates were falling, so the debt-service burden never got too high.

That remained true until rates started to rise last year. The problem is that debts have continued to soar, which means the debt-service burden has got worse from both sides. According to some analysts, including John Hawksworth at PwC and Tim Crawford at Halifax, mortgage payments as a percentage of earnings are still way below the 1989 peak. But this is misleading because they only include the interest portion of a mortgage. Capital Economics looks at actual monthly mortgage repayments and uses disposable income rather than pre-tax earnings. As a result, it has come up with a different, and more realistic, picture. It concludes that UK households currently spend nearly 15% of their disposable income on mortgage repayments. This is worryingly close to the 15.8% level the UK reached in the second quarter of 1989 at the very top of the last house-price cycle.

Worse, if you add the costs of servicing unsecured debts, the nation is already spending more than 20% of disposable income on debt servicing. No matter that interest rates are low in relative terms, thanks to our huge debts, we are now suffering just as much as we were at the top of the last housing bubble. If there is a maximum limit to what we can take before we crack, then it is fair to say we have now reached that point. We just can’t afford any more debt.
-----------------------------------------------------

Brizzy Boy - your comments are at complete odds with what we are seeing in WA. may be time to make a move to here or Melbourne (I know nothing about Melbourne other than they say a lot of a our contractors have headed there to help with construction of Commonwealth Games infrastructure) or Canberra from what others here are saying. WA scenario is increasing time lags (min. 12 to 24 months to build a project home with major companies), serious delays in materials and labour... 3 month wait for roof tilers, price rises of around 1% per month over all, brickies at all time high pay rates. One of our project builders just upped their price on us today 6.7%. Not that it really matters as titled blocks of land are so scarce you are struggling to find anywhere to build (expect 6 month wait for a typial block to become titled). A rate rise would be welcome relief to take some heat out of the market.

pete_w... with the logic on the sharemarket, most companies are borrowers not lenders, hence when the cost of capital raises it hits the bottom line. Companies that are lenders are also paying ore for their funds and I read an article only yesterday saying banks are in for leaner times as their margins are squeezed.

Interest rates are designed to dampen the economy by making consumption more expensive, reducing business investment as capital costs rise thus reducing demand inflation. Unfortunately we are part of a bigger picture and what effect it has on our currency and trade figures......

quiggles said:
However, a couple of hours a week is not a job in my view as far as impacting the real level of employment.
I agree 100%, that's the point I was trying to make earlier on. It's fine for the market to say more people have jobs now than in the past, but (IMHO) a lot of these jobs are not secure.

Regards
Marty

Back