RBA Governor Glenn Stevens view on property and inflation

Ken I should add I sold a property late 07 and am doing my best to build a cash buffer at the moment.

I don't see today as a good day to be practicing the plodder approach, buy when you can afford.. etc.. Though it's been a way difficult strategy to beat historically I'm giving it a go :) ** edit though that's a macro view, on a micro level if you can value add then there's always money to be made I think.

I would love a decent to large sized recession that isn't terminal right about now (with all the forced selling and subsequent bargains), so I have to be careful of that wishful thinking making it's way into my decisions.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Andrew,

1. Like you, while I do pesently believe that Australia is likely to go into a Recession in the near future with all these present "hawkish" talks and anti-inflation campaign and policy-making by the KR Federal Government and the present RBA as headed by Glenn Stevens, I do note some subtle "change" in the present RBA's official thinking recently.

2. Consequently, I am still hopeful, at this point in time, (even though the possibility is quite "remote" and seems "unlikely" at this point in time), that the Australian Economy may eventually not fall into a Recession ultimately, if the RBA is able to take the neccessary appropiate measures to properly "balance" and "cool" down the Australian Economy temporarily where required, for a soft landing, without actually "stalling" it down altogether, into an official Recession, subsequently.

3. Hence, I am still on the "side-line", closely monitoring and watching the RBA's actions and its attendant impact on the various housing markets in Australia.

4. For your further comments and discussion, please.

5. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

I think that Stevens is trying to stop inflation becoming "entrenched" at 5% level. If he is seen as being soft on inflation when the going is tough now, why should people expect inflation to stay low in the future?

It doesn't matter whether the inflation is imported or local. If expectations reset to the 5% level, it WILL require a recession to drive it back down to 2% again. All Stevens is trying to do is avoid this scenario.

That said, I think Ken you were right to mention the additional rate rises. These are doing the RBA's job for it. You will see, if growth falls and inflation falls down to 2%, Stevens will bring rates back down again. The idea is that growth falls to 2% and not to -1%... :)

2. Consequently, I am still hopeful, at this point in time, (even though the possibility is quite "remote" and seems "unlikely" at this point in time), that the Australian Economy may eventually not fall into a Recession ultimately, if the RBA is able to take the neccessary appropiate measures to properly "balance" and "cool" down the Australian Economy temporarily where required, for a soft landing, without actually "stalling" it down altogether, into an official Recession, subsequently.

Ken, why do you see this as so remote and unlikely? I would say a 50/50 chance, given US recession and China 10% growth both affecting the Australian economy, and very little trouble with local mortgage foreclosures.

Singapore

I have just read that inflation is strong in Singapore Ken, interested in your take on the little isle and what's happening there with property.

I think that Stevens is trying to stop inflation becoming "entrenched" at 5% level. If he is seen as being soft on inflation when the going is tough now, why should people expect inflation to stay low in the future?

It doesn't matter whether the inflation is imported or local. If expectations reset to the 5% level, it WILL require a recession to drive it back down to 2% again. All Stevens is trying to do is avoid this scenario.

That said, I think Ken you were right to mention the additional rate rises. These are doing the RBA's job for it. You will see, if growth falls and inflation falls down to 2%, Stevens will bring rates back down again. The idea is that growth falls to 2% and not to -1%... :)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dear Dave99,

1. Honestly speaking, I do not know exactly what Glenn Stevens and his RBA are officially trying to do, with regard to managing the Australian Economy at this point in time.

2. From the various actions adopted by the RBA so far and from what Glenn Stevens has been officially quoted and/or reportedly said in the local press media, I personally believe that Glenn Stevens and his RBA have officially deemed that its last interest rate increase in March 2008 to 7.25%p.a, is "about right" for the Australian Economy for the time being.

3. By maintaining the same 7.25% interest rate and the official cash rate steady in April 2008, the RBA has indirectly signalled that its interest rate and official cash rate has more or less "peaked"/is presently "peaking" in 2008.

4. This is despite the additional/higher rate hikes by the commercial banks.

5. We will have a clearer picture of the RBA's real intentions when these initial "hunches" have been further confirmed/disconfirmed accordingly the RBA's subsequent interest rate policy outcome after its coming May 2008 Board's Meeting to be held on 6th May 2008.

6. Whether the RBA should continue to use the same 2%-3% pa, inflation rate target under today's highly volatile and fast-changing environment so as to effectively manage the present high inflation rate and the Australian Economy, as in the past, has been separately discussed in another thread at
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41495

7. Consequently, I have no intention to further confirm/disconfirm your suggestion at this point in time regarding the following propositiions;-

a. whether it is realistic for the RBA or/and the Australians to expect to the present inflation rate in Australia to remains low 3% p.a, given the recent financial turmoil, highly volatile and fast changing environment impacting the Australian Economy

b whether the RBA should continue to use the same 2%-3% inflation target to manage the Australian Economy or not,

c. whether the RBA should revise its present 2%-3% annual inflation target or/and use another mechanism to control the inflation within Australia while managing the Australian Economy,

d. " whether Glenn Stevens and his RBA are trying to stop inflation from becoming "entrenched" at 5% level" or not.

e. whether the RBA should further slow down the Australian Economy until the prevailing inflation rate falls below its targetted 3% level or

f. whether the RBA should allow the Australian Economy to continue to expand while at the same time, allowing the local inflation rate to temporarily exceed the targetted 2%-3% inflation level from time to time, without having to subsequently forcibly curb down the high inflation figures reported.

g. whether the RBA under Glenn Steven's leadership is able to skilfully and safely, steer the Australian Economy out of the present global financial turmoil and/or to temporarily slow down the Australian Economy into a soft landing subsequently, without neccessarily "stalling" it down into an official Recession, in the near future.

8. Having said all these, however, I still believe that it is still important for the RBA to clearly differentiate and to properly ascertain whether the existing high inflation figures in Australia is largely imported or/and largely due to local demand pressures.

9. This is because different types of inflation sources/scenarios will require different types of solutions and policy measures to be taken by the RBA subsequently in order to properly manage the Australian Economy and to control its attendant inflation rate within acceptable limits.

10. For your further comments and discussion, please.

11. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
Ken, why do you see this as so remote and unlikely? I would say a 50/50 chance, given US recession and China 10% growth both affecting the Australian economy, and very little trouble with local mortgage foreclosures.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99

1. Given the past anti-inflation "hawkish" posturing by Glenn Stevens and his RBA, the continued ongoing hawkish "anti-inflation" emphasis given by Kevin Rudd's ALP Federal Govt, as well as by Wayne Swan and his team of policy-makers at the Australian Federal Treasury, it is very likely that the RBA and the Australian federal Treasury, in their joint efforts and attempts quickly curb down the high inflation figures down to the acceptable 2%-3% annual inflation target, the RBA may be required to use its interest rate increases to continually and quickly slow-down the Australian Economy in the immediate near future.

2. Consequently, I personally believe that the RBA is likely to "over-use"/"over-do" its interest rate increases too much or/and too too or/and too quickly until the whole Australian Economy eventually stall into an official Recession, in the near future, given such collective hawkish and aggressive anti-inflation posturing by the RBA, the Australian Federal Treasury as well as by the KR ALP Federal Govt.

3. This is also the same concern and views expressed by many local economists as well as prominent local business leaders in Australia, like Bill Wavish, Myers Chairman, who reportedly wrote a personal letter to Glenn Stevens and his RBA ( as well as to Wayne Swan, as the new Australian Federal Treasurer) to openly and officially express his concerns that the RBA may have increased an interest rate too many in March 2008.

4. This is because consumer spending has already fallen significantly and many of the local businesses are badly hurt to the extent where some of these businesses were forced to close down because of significantly reduced trade transactions, as a result of these continued interest rate increases by the RBA, as well as by the additional/higher rate hikes by the commercial banks.

5. Fortunately, Glenn Stevens and his RBA has taken Bill Wavish's feedback seriously.

6. The RBA has since then, started to subtly change its own policy tone subsequently, when it last decided to keep the interest rate steady in April 2008, despite the continued high inflation figures reported.

7. The RBA has further observed that the local demand was slowing down noticeably and that more time would need to be given for the full impact of its various cumulative rate increases to properly work through the Australian Economy or/and for further slow down to occur as a result of the higher/additiional rate hikes by the commercial banks.

8. This is despite the continued high inflation rate figures reported in March and April 2008.

9. Since then, the various (still rising) housing markets in Australia have also started to slow down or/and have further slow down significantly with lower mortgage lending growth rate figures being reported recently.

10. Consequently, whether the RBA is likey to continue to keep its interest rate and official cash rate steady again in May 2008, after its coming Board Meeting on 6th May 2008, is left to be seen subsequently.

11. Likewise, whether the present RBA, under the leadership of Glenn Stevens, is able to skilfully, safely and effectively steer the Australian Economy out of the present global financial turmoil, without stalling the Australia Economy into a possible Recession, in the near future, is left very much to be seen too, subsequently.

12. This is especially so, when "Rudd places a “huge premium” on delivering promises and the Treasurer’s task has been to frame a budget with political priorities which shape the economic goals. The economic cloth has been cut to fit the political suit. "

"Popular calls to limit the tax cuts to ease inflation have been ignored."
" ....So, in five months there have been as many reasons for delivering the tax cuts and no real change despite economic arguments to the contrary."

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com...heaustralian/comments/not_the_economy_stupid/

13. For your further comments and discussion, please.

14. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
I have just read that inflation is strong in Singapore Ken, interested in your take on the little isle and what's happening there with property.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Andrew,

1. I will email you separately, regarding my own personal views on this matter.

2. However, I will prefer that we do not discuss this topic here under this Thread. This is to allow the present Thread discussion to achieve a better focus.

3. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99

1. Given the past anti-inflation "hawkish" posturing by Glenn Stevens and his RBA, the continued ongoing hawkish "anti-inflation" emphasis given by Kevin Rudd's ALP Federal Govt, as well as by Wayne Swan and his team of policy-makers at the Australian Federal Treasury, it is very likely that the RBA and the Australian federal Treasury, in their joint efforts and attempts quickly curb down the high inflation figures down to the acceptable 2%-3% annual inflation target, the RBA may be required to use its interest rate increases to continually and quickly slow-down the Australian Economy in the immediate near future.

12. This is especially so, when "Rudd places a “huge premium” on delivering promises and the Treasurer’s task has been to frame a budget with political priorities which shape the economic goals. The economic cloth has been cut to fit the political suit. "

"Popular calls to limit the tax cuts to ease inflation have been ignored."
" ....So, in five months there have been as many reasons for delivering the tax cuts and no real change despite economic arguments to the contrary."

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com...heaustralian/comments/not_the_economy_stupid/

Kenneth KOH
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

1. it was further reported in the local "the Australian" newspapers today that:

a. "Mr Swan dismissed calls for any softening in the Reserve Bank’s 2-3 per cent inflation target over the cycle as “fool’s gold”. All that does is run up the white flag and squibs the problem,” he said. “I reject it. It will produce permanently higher inflation and permanently higher interest rates.”

b. " He said Treasury’s budget forecast showed economic growth was “coming off somewhat” next year. We are anticipating a fall of $4-5billion in capital gains tax revenue,” he said. Employment growth would “ease a little”.

c. "the (FY 2008/2009) budget’s main aim was to confront prices, with global inflation “on the march” and domestic inflation at a 16-year high."

d. ... Mr Swan said: “I characterise this budget, first and foremost, as tackling domestic inflationary pressures and then as safeguarding the economy from the international financial market turbulence."

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com...eaustralian/comments/swan_promises_restraint/

2. For your further comments and discussion, please.

3. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I see your view - the RBA will certainly drive inflation down to 2-3%. Will they overdo it and cause a recession? They are certainly trying to avoid that "recession we had to have" scenario. But it is an inexact science and they may overshoot, I think someone once described it as driving by looking in the rear-view mirror!

Only time will tell, my own mood changes from day to day, I see alternately good and bad news. Increasing rents (as a result of the unbalanced "boom / bust" housing cycle we have had, rather than a steady increase) may ironically tip us into recession.

Hi Ken,

Increasing rents (as a result of the unbalanced "boom / bust" housing cycle we have had, rather than a steady increase) may ironically tip us into recession.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

1. Can you pease further elaborate the rationale/logic behind this view, please.

2. Looking forward to learning from you further, please.

3. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Hi Ken,

I see your view - the RBA will certainly drive inflation down to 2-3%. Will they overdo it and cause a recession? They are certainly trying to avoid that "recession we had to have" scenario. But it is an inexact science and they may overshoot, I think someone once described it as driving by looking in the rear-view mirror!

Only time will tell, my own mood changes from day to day,
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

1. As I have said previously, there has been some recent change in the Glenn Steven and the RBA's underlying thinking with respect to the following areas:

a. the likely overall adverse impact on the Australian Economy exerted by the external global financial turmoil, with the ongoing Credit Crunch Crises still unfolding and given the dual speed nature of the slowing down Global Economy, with the ongoing Recessionary US, European and Japanese Economies, on one hand and the highly inflationary Chinese and Indian Economies on the other hand.

b. Glenn Stevens and the RBA has been less hawkish in its anti-inflation fight campaign since April 2008 and more willing to give more time for the impact arising from its various cumulative interest rate increases and the additional and higher rate hikes on the commecial banks, to properly work through the Australian Economy first before deciding further interest rate and cash rate increases by the RBA is neccessary.

c. Of late, both Glenn Stevens and RBA have started to observe more noticeable and deeper slowing down across the entire Australian Economy and have correspondingly expected further and more significant slow down to be further expected, at this point in time. This is despite the higher inflation figures reported recently.

2. Consequently, I am not personally "certain" myself, at this point in time if both Glenn Stevens and the RBA will actually require the local inflation figures to fall within its targetted 2%-3% inflation target before it will stop its interest rate increases.

3. So far, RBA does not "act" or appear to be so, judging from its past Board's meeting outcome made in April 2008, when it last decided to maintain the interest rate steady in April 2008, in response to the public feedback as well as the ongoing slowing down in the Australian Economy as observed on the ground and despite the same high inflation figures reported.

4. The outcome for the RBA's Board Meeting on 6th May 2008, will further confirm/dis-confirm its present ongoing interest rate policy thinking.

5. Personally, I am comfortable with how things are developing in the Australian Economy per se, given the RBA's recent change in its interest rate policy making;- though I am personally still "uncomfortable" with the various outcomes of the ongoing KR's Prime Ministership and his leadership in the Australian Federal Govt as well as Wayne Swan and his team of policy makers at the Australian Federal Treasury's co-management of the Australian Economy, in conjunction with the RBA.

6. Both KR and Wayne Swan are "un-tested" in their own economic management of the Australian Economy and presently they seem to have sort of "lose" control over the major commercial banks, who are introducing their own additional and higher rate hike increases themselves, irrespective of the RBA's interest rate policy outcomes.

7. As the new Australian Federal Treasurer, Wayne Swan has un-successfully threathened imposing new regulations on the major banks' additional or/and higher interest rate increases, with no nett impact on the various commercial banks, to date.

8. Both KR and Wayne Swan are reportedly still "hawkish" in their anti-inflation fight and both men share the same views that the local inflation rate must be brought down within its 2%-3% targetting inflation rate first before further slowing down of the Australian Economy would be stopped.

9. This is despite the present 2%-3% annual inflation rate targets has been previously set by the previous Australian Federal Govt's leadership under John Howard's Prime Ministership under different economic circumstances occuring within the Australian Economy.

10. As argued by both Bernie Fraser and Professor Bob Gregory, who were ex-RBA Governors, both the present RBA as headed by Glenn Stevens and the Australian Federal Treasury as newly headed by Wayne Swan, would need to conduct a timely review on the continued relevancy and feasibility of maintaining the same 2%-3% inflation rate target to manage the Australian Economy midst today's fast-changing economic circumstances both occuring within and outside the Australian Economy and to objectively re-cast their respective fiscal,monetary and financial policies where neccessary.

11. Both KR and Wayne Swan have reportedly "adjusted" and fine-tuned the FY 2008/2009 Budget to suit their own political objectives, instead of tailoring the Budget to suit the economic objectives for Australia of producing a strong but anti-inflationary Australian Economy so that economic propserity in Australia would continue further in the coming years.

12. Consequently, despite its own "hawkish" anti-inflation posturing and ignoring many adverse public feedback, Wayne Swan, as the new Australian Federal Treasurer is likely to continue with the A$31 billion tax cuts in his own coming Budget to be revealed on 13th May 2008 and to further inflict more economic pains on Australians which the ALP Govt has deemed to be "neccessarry", in order for Australia to move forward with time.

14. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

2. Consequently, I am not personally "certain" myself, at this point in time if both Glenn Stevens and the RBA will actually require the local inflation figures to fall within its targetted 2%-3% inflation target before it will stop its interest rate increases.

3. So far, RBA does not "act" or appear to be so, judging from its past Board's meeting outcome made in April 2008, when it last decided to maintain the interest rate steady in April 2008, in response to the public feedback as well as the ongoing slowing down in the Australian Economy as observed on the ground and despite the same high inflation figures reported.

4. The outcome for the RBA's Board Meeting on 6th May 2008, will further confirm/dis-confirm its present ongoing interest rate policy thinking.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

1. After reading Professor Don Harding's article, entitled " RBA's 3 Strategies" which was recently reported in the local "The Australian" Newspapers, I now learnt that RBA is actually adopting a "Flexible" Inflation Targetting Policy to manage the Australian Economy.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23644269-7583,00.html

2. Consequently, it is very likely that despite the continued high inflation figures being reported in April 2008, the RBA is expected to continue to maintain its official interest rate ( and cash rate) steady at 7.25% again in May 2008, in view of its present flexible inflation targetting policy being officially adopted by the RBA.

3. Having said this, however, we cannot effectively rule out a further rate hike by some of the commerical banks, as ANZ and Westpac have reportedly lifted its housing mortgage loan interest rate again towards the end of April 2008, immediately after the recent high inflation data were officially released by the ABS.

4. It seems that Wayne Swan and his policy-makers at the Australian Federal Treasury, are adopting a far more "hawkish" "anti-inflation" posturing than is presently adopted by the RBA, at this point in time.

5. Wayne Swan has openly and emphatically rejected public calls for " any softening in the Reserve Bank’s 2-3 per cent inflation target over the cycle as “fool’s gold”. “All that does is run up the white flag and squibs the problem,” he said. “I reject it. It will produce permanently higher inflation and permanently higher interest rates.”

6. Mr Swan said: “I characterise this (coming FY 2008/2009) budget, first and foremost, as tackling domestic inflationary pressures and then as safeguarding the economy from the international financial market turbulence.

“That means we must get the balance right.”

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23644269-7583,00.html

7. This is despite that "the probability of a harder landing for Australia has escalated significantly in recent weeks and our most reliable leading indicator of non-farm GDP growth, our financial conditions index, suggests a very subdued path for economic growth through 2008.''

8. Goldman Sachs reportedly ".. judges the risk of a recession in Australia as a one-in-three risk. "

9. "Economists at the investment bank say the fall-out in China from the US recession (so declared by Warren Buffett, if not yet officially) is greater than currently thought."

10. "Goldman anticipates solid risks facing the Australian economy, and has forecast GDP growth in this calendar year to ease to 2.5% - well below the market's consensus of 3.1%."

11. ''The combination of the collapse in confidence, appreciable fall in financial wealth, weak retail sales, rising real interest rates, slowing credit and faltering building approvals suggests a significant slowdown in consumption and dwelling investment,'' the bank said.

12. ''We would still view the prospect of two consecutive negative GDP prints as unlikely, but we view the risk of recession as the highest since the expansion begun in the early 1990s.

http://business.smh.com.au/rbas-delicate-task/20080505-2b1h.html

14. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

10. As argued by both Bernie Fraser and Professor Bob Gregory, who were ex-RBA Governors, both the present RBA as headed by Glenn Stevens and the Australian Federal Treasury as newly headed by Wayne Swan, would need to conduct a timely review on the continued relevancy and feasibility of maintaining the same 2%-3% inflation rate target to manage the Australian Economy midst today's fast-changing economic circumstances both occuring within and outside the Australian Economy and to objectively re-cast their respective fiscal,monetary and financial policies where neccessary.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

1. Mr Glenn Stevens, as the RBA Chairman, has reportedly hit back at critics who have argued the bank's 2-3% management bracket is short-sighted and does not allow central banking policy to effectively control the economy.

2. "Former bank boss Bernie Fraser has said the bracket needs to be higher, but Mr Stevens said inflation targeting "preserved'' the value of the currency and allowed the bank to judge the broader trends of economic activity."

3. "The Reserve Bank has been criticised politically for allowing inflation to peak to its current level of 4.2% and not acting to raise interest rates in April last year. The Bank has recently practically adopted a pattern of raising rates after quarterly-inflation numbers."

4. "These days, we have inflation targeting, an arrangement that provides a measure of constrained discretion to the central bank within a medium-term framework,'' Mr Stevens said. "It emphasises the control of inflation over time, but does not seek to fine-tune inflation over short periods."

5. "That allows a reasonable accommodation for trends in economic activity and employment over periods of a year or two, about which the Reserve Bank is required to have concern by its charter as well as by common sense, but preserves the value of the currency over the long run.''

6. "The inflation target was put in place by Peter Costello in one of his first moves as treasurer, nearly 12 years ago. Treasurer Wayne Swan has backed the regime."

7. "This system accepts there is a short-term growth/inflation trade-off, but also accepts there is no long-term one. Inflation targeting does not ignore financial quantities, but does not elevate them to the status of an intermediate target and does not see them as an instrument,'' Mr Stevens said. "

8. "Inflation targeting is not perfect and, on occasion, still leaves policymakers with some quite difficult decisions to make. It is, however, the best system that has been devised as yet.''

http://business.theage.com.au/stevens-backs-inflation-target-20080515-2ep9.html

9. For your further comments and discussion, where neccessary, please.

10. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Dear Dave99,

1. As I have said previously, there has been some recent change in the Glenn Steven and the RBA's underlying thinking with respect to the following areas:

c. Of late, both Glenn Stevens and RBA have started to observe more noticeable and deeper slowing down across the entire Australian Economy and have correspondingly expected further and more significant slow down to be further expected, at this point in time. This is despite the higher inflation figures reported recently.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dear Dave99,

1. Mr Glenn Stevens, the RBA Chairman, in the speech to his former faculty at the University of Sydney, again warned the Australian economy faced a slowdown in growth.

2. "The central bank has predicted that economic growth will soften to 2.5% by June 2010, while the Treasury is more bullish, with the figures in the budget forecasting growth to come in at 3% in the same timeframe."

3. "The current decade so far has seen average growth of 3.4%, though the next couple of years will probably see growth noticeably lower than that,'' Mr Stevens said.

4. "The prospect of an interest rate rise in the next few months appears remote given wages, judged the one potential trigger, remain under control."

5. "Both the RBA and the Treasury have forecast unemployment could start to tick up, which the government said was the direct response to the high inflation climate."

http://business.theage.com.au/stevens-backs-inflation-target-20080515-2ep9.html

6. For your further comments and discussion where neccessary, please.

7. Thank you

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

This is a lot of stuff to process Kenneth!

1. I think Stevens is comfortable that with the additional brake on the economy from the credit crunch, further rate rises are not needed. I feel his view is that inflation will top out at 4% and come down. It is not "fine tuned", but allowed to come down from 4% naturally.

2. It doesn't matter what the cause of inflation is, where it comes from, whether it's petrol or from China or from the US or whatever. If it becomes entrenched at a high level like 6%, it CANNOT be brought down without a recession. We've seen that in the late 70s, and the early 90s again. So even though it's "unfair" that rates go up due to petrol, it's necessary to prevent entrenched 6% inflation and the boom/bust credit market that entails.

3. Ken, I think Swan and Rudd's rhetoric on the "inflation fighting" budget is all rubbish. The amount of the fiscal cuts is minuscule compared to the variation in money supply due to interest rate movements. I think it has no effect really and Swan and Rudd's statements are political.

Interested to hear your views on this

- Dave99

RBA: "Prolonged period of economic difficulty if inflation were not brought down."

3. Ken, I think Swan and Rudd's rhetoric on the "inflation fighting" budget is all rubbish. The amount of the fiscal cuts is minuscule compared to the variation in money supply due to interest rate movements. I think it has no effect really and Swan and Rudd's statements are political.

Interested to hear your views on this

- Dave99
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dear Dave99,

1. Apparently, the RBA has indirectly agreed with you too as far as following news article is concerned when it reports that:.

a. "The Reserve Bank yesterday revealed the depth of its concern that inflation may be getting away from it, with the newly released minutes from its board meeting early this month tipping a "prolonged period of economic difficulty" if inflation were not brought down."

b. "The release of the minutes came as Treasury secretary Ken Henry, a Reserve Bank board member, urged caution in the spending of the $41billion worth of infrastructure, health and education funds unveiled in the budget amid concern they could increase inflation."

c. "But as Wayne Swan yesterday stepped up his sales pitch on the budget, which is designed to lower inflationary pressures but has left voters unconvinced, Dr Henry said the federal budget had a role in fighting inflation."

d. "He backed the continued rise of the Australian dollar, which has been pushed higher by the rate rises but has helped put a brake on inflationary pressure. .. .The dollar yesterday hit another 24-year high, driving through US96c, after the release of the Reserve Bank minutes."

e. "Dr Henry said that while the primary job of controlling inflation rested with the Reserve Bank, the budget could play a "supportive" role. He said the Government's budget had saved most of the upward revision to the Government's revenue estimates since the election."

f. "Although trying to slow excessive growth in demand by using the budget was difficult because it took time for budget measures to take effect, he said it helped to stabilise the economy if the budget saved rather than spent additional surpluses created by the commodities boom."

g. "Dr Henry said great care would have to be exercised over the spending of these surpluses from the infrastructure, education and health funds the Government has established. "One has to be careful that when one draws from the fund to finance capital spending that it is not done at a time that will cause macroeconomic problems," he said."

2. This is despite Wayne Swan's denial to the contrary.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23733364-601,00.html

3. Since the official release of the first ALP Federal Govt's Budget and the attendant feedback received from the various different sectors of the Australian Economy, they have collectively and invariably indicated to me, that the ALP is not a " good economic manager" for Australia and that the ALP is seemingly also lacking the real political will/substance to do the right things for the long term interests of Australia and its Australian peoples, as they seems to be "appealing/procuring" for popular votes.

4. Consequently, I see increased risks and the likelihood of Australia falling into an official Recession in the near future.

5. I now see the RBA as being the only sole truly "effective" institution available to steer/shape the Australian Economy in the "Economics-rational" way, economically speaking.

6. Thus, I can, more or less agree with AlexLee, regarding his suggestion contained in some of his posts previously, that it is the RBA that is truly controlling the Australian Economy, rather than the new Australian Federal Treasurer.

7. After all, Wayne Swan is no "Peter Costello", as an Australian Federal Treasurer.

8. Hence, I will not be surprised to eventually hear the same ruling ALP Federal Govt, uttering again, the same words as previously used by Paul Keating, the ex-Australian PM and ALP leader in 1991, " a Recession that Australia needs to have" before the present official ALP Federal Govt office term expires in November 2011?.

9. For your further comments and discussion, please.

10. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
My understanding was that the CPI is then adjusted for the supposedly 'volatile' items including food and fuel, to arrive at the 'core' rate that the RBA uses?
Alex

Not according to this article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/the-going-just-got-tougher/2008/04/23/1208743039782.html Quote: "Record fuel prices, rising housing costs and food prices were behind the surge in inflation, which is well outside the Reserve Bank's target of 2 per cent to 3 per cent...Andrew

The ‘Consumer price index – All groups’ measure is the total or ‘headline’ consumer price index. The measure ‘Excluding volatile items’ is the CPI (all groups) less fruit, vegetables and automotive fuel.

Source: 'Prices and Output (G Tables)' section of the RBA Bulletin Statistical Tables' Explanatory Notes.

The last four quarterly 'CPI excluded volatile item' numbers (year ended % change) have been

Jun 06/07..............2.6%
Sep 07/08.............2.6%
Dec 07/08.............3.0%
Mar 07/08.............3.6%

That's going the wrong way

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Dear Dave99,

3. Since the official release of the first ALP Federal Govt's Budget and the attendant feedback received from the various different sectors of the Australian Economy, they have collectively and invariably indicated to me, that the ALP is not a " good economic manager" for Australia and that the ALP is seemingly also lacking the real political will/substance to do the right things for the long term interests of Australia and its Australian peoples, as they seems to be "appealing/procuring" for popular votes.

4. Consequently, I see increased risks and the likelihood of Australia falling into an official Recession in the near future.

5. I now see the RBA as being the only sole truly "effective" institution available to steer/shape the Australian Economy in the "Economics-rational" way, economically speaking.

6. Thus, I can, more or less agree with AlexLee, regarding his suggestion contained in some of his posts previously, that it is the RBA that is truly controlling the Australian Economy, rather than the new Australian Federal Treasurer.

7. After all, Wayne Swan is no "Peter Costello", as an Australian Federal Treasurer.

8. Hence, I will not be surprised to eventually hear the same ruling ALP Federal Govt, uttering again, the same words as previously used by Paul Keating, the ex-Australian PM and ALP leader in 1991, " a Recession that Australia needs to have" before the present official ALP Federal Govt office term expires in November 2011?.

9. For your further comments and discussion, please.

10. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Ken,

I know your views on the ALP, which you have repeatedly made clear in various posts. You're entitled to those views, and I certainly don't agree with everything the ALP has done since winning power. But to say that Labour "appeals/procures" votes, and then in the same breath say that Costello/Howard never did such a thing, is ridiculous!

Why do you think Australians got 5 consecutive years of inflationary tax cuts, while the economy was already at capacity? That is clearly vote buying. Why did pensioners get so many one-off payments, direct from the Government, for nothing? That is vote buying. Why did millionaires get $5000 lump sums when they had children? That is vote buying.

Labour is cutting off welfare for people on $150K or more, and distributing the savings to those who actually need it by increasing the tax-free threshold. That seems reasonable to me. The Libs main policy at the moment is reducing petrol taxes. How is that in the long-term interests of Australia?

If we are to have a recession in Australia, a quick glance around the world's economies can tell me that it's clearly not the ALP that will cause it this time.

Back