Re-joining electrical cables.......one for the sparkies

I have a question.

I have a pond, and unfortunately one of the underwater lights stopped working. On closer inspection (after unplugging everything of course) the cord to said light has been severed.

This is essentially a 12 volt downlight in a special waterproof housing. There is a lot of cord left in the pond, but not enough to put the light in the correct spot.

Is it possible to re-join the two severed cords and carry on as normal?

I absolutely will not be doing this myself, but it will occupy my mind all weekend......so if someone has an answer that would be most helpful.

12 volt will not electrocute and there are no laws saying it must be done by a lecky

If 12 volt I have used these when wiring boats, though I will usually do a soldered joint

http://www.glascraftmarine.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SXET1454&Product=1749956

With these connectors you feed the wires in, crimp and heat gently with a lighter and a hot melt glue like substance melts into the joint sealing moisture out.

If after more protection you could use some silicon over the top of that.

A 2 minute job

Dave

Nah mate, I'll go for a Hol at year end, but still need to finish the boat.

First I have to stop playing houses which I will in a few months.

2 years to go after then, Max.

Dave

Hey BoatBoy,

Another question. I've managed to locate the waterproof butt splices in Mel.

Now, I have stripped back my cable and there are two insulated wires coming out of that. Do I now need a butt splice for each individual wire? I am assuming that I do.

cut the cables different lengths
on one side of the joint cut the active wire couple of inches longer than neutral, on the other cut the neutral the same length longer than the active.
When you put the butt splicers into place they will be offset and not make the cable bulge so much, when you next need to pull it out it wont jam up

Dave.........

Butt Splices...........man I don't want to even think about that....:eek:

Captain,

You got that bloody light working yet??.........that would be a first year appy job.........:)

Twist, solder and resin heatshrink...........uuuhhmmmm 10 minutes work, I'll need my special calculator with the extra zeros to work out the cost of that. Cash?....yeah same price for cash mate.......

Hold tight wait till the partys over
Hold tight were in for nasty weather
There has got to be a way
Burning down the house

ciao

Nor

Alright Alright.........man the pressure is intense.

I will be performing the work on Wednesday. I have picked up the waterproof electrical "fasteners" this morning.

I will let you all know how it goes :D

I am a techie, but what is a but splice and why is it scary?

"Splice" is a ice cream on a stick coated with flavoured ice confection made by Pauls. Its scary because its high in calories and will make you "butt" very cold if sat upon ;)

P.S. sorry for thread hijack "but" I couldn't resist!

Last edited:
Back