Re-stumping - Increase in Value?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing some re-stumping with the renovation I am planning on doing for my current place. There are no access to the stumps, so they would need to cut a few openings here and there to get to them. I am thinking that this whole exercise might cost me about $7k..... would it increase the value of my property (more than the cost of the work) when I sell?

As a side note, anyone in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne done restumping that has a good contact? Also good to find out the average price everyone's getting for restump work.

Thanks

I am thinking that this whole exercise might cost me about $7k..... would it increase the value of my property (more than the cost of the work) when I sell?

No, unfortunately. All the hidden things - like stumps, wiring, plumbing, rooves etc are a $zero value-add exercise.

if floors etc are just sinking a bit, just chock them.

waste of time restumping unless the house posts are at 45 degrees. :)

its a visual thing really, not a real addition to property value unless you are going to a highest house with the prospect of building in underneath..then you will want some good "I" beams to reduce the number of posts..

anyway good luck.

its a visual thing really

Possibly not even visual given there is apparently no access to the stumps and openings have to be cut to do the job. If you sell, though, new stumps are something a building inspector should pick up on and they may help a buyer make a decision.
Scott

Back