Re-tiling, re-waterproofing? Or just rip it back to the studs?

So this is the ensuite of the tumble-down cottage we just bought. The tiles are cracked, and mismatched, the shower recess is so dirty, I think that the glass doors are ruined with etched limescale, the vanity doors are hanging off, and it looks to me as if it hasn't been waterproofed properly at the edges. Not much there worth saving. According to the building inspection, the drainage pipes show evidence of leaking. I'm pretty sure that outside of the shower, no waterproofing was done on this room prior to tiling (the timber skirting is a bit of a give away! looks like they have just tiled the panels and not really sealed the room at all. Yikes.)

Anyway, my question is.. should the lining of the room be in OK condition and not badly water damaged, would I be OK with just ripping everything out back go the lining, waterproofing, and going from there, or would it be easier to take the lining as well and put villaboard/scyon in? How much of a hassle is it to scrape back the old tile adhesive etc. so that I can make sure the new waterproofing gets a good grip on the lining?

Any help/ideas would be great :)

Back to add: At the moment we have more time than $$ (me being a WAHM and all).. so I do have time to tinker a bit if it will save us some $$.. that said, I could imagine scraping every little bit of tile adhesive off could be a task that is too laborious even for me!

46970c53c34b38a50103103a85d43bfa_l.jpg

Last edited:
The photos look perfectly serviceable for an IP. I'd re-hang the door on the vanity unit.

It's much easier to rip EVERYTHING out and start again, and higher likelihood of a better job too.

Keep the lining and just do a good job of waterproofing it,
It should come up nice,
Tile glue will probably come up easy as it will be brittle

Wow! I was expecting Much worse a photo that that, that is more than acceptable for a budget IP IMO.

I would be doing only whatever is absolutely necessary as far as prolonging life but would expect to get another 5 years out of that then call it repairs and tax deduct it.

If you do it now it is capital expenditure, do it later it may be a tax deduction, worth checking:)

I would rip the whole lot out, inspect the timber and start again with proper water proofing and an updated reno..... But that's just me. I prefer to know that all's OK rather than have the tennant constanting ringing and having to organise repairs around them.

I'd also go back to the walls, even ripping the plaster off if necessary. The layout looks fine and there appears to be ample space to install a bath/shower. I'd also relocate the vent and put it in the ceiling if poss? Just as with selling - kitchens and bathrooms are where you should spend any money. I'd guess you're looking at under $10K, but all depends on tiles/fittings.

I would also rip it all out and start from the studs. There could be underlying timber rot and moisture.
We have had plenty of experience with this sort of thing.

Back