realestate.com.au - range of price - agents view point

Given that on re.com and domain , in an example of the owner aiming 1.8 - 2.1 the price ranges buyers can search for are 1.5 - 1.75 , 1.75 - 2 and 2 - 2.5 .

If we put in a price of 1.75 , someone doing a search of > 2 mill will not come up with a result , whereas someone searching from up to 1.75 will come up with a result .

Whereas an input price of 2 mil will bring up results if people search 1.75 - 2 , or 2-2.5 . Obviously you can put in a different price for display eg offers over 1.8 etc

As a " regular " user , I'll sometimes use relatively narrow searches to cut down the number of properties to a more manageable number .

Chris , is there any data on how specific people are when they do searches ?

Is it common for agents to put in a lower price in the search facility than they discuss with the owner ? If this is the case , then there is the potential for buyers in the owners expected price range not to view the house , while buyers in a lower price range , come in with lower offers and " condition " the owner to the agents view point. Is that a " standard tactic " ?

Cliff

I don't have any data on the search criteria people use but the general real estate logic that I was exposed to was "the lower the back end price, the more searches it will appear in and the more people are likely to see it". It will depend on the suburb and the agents but in Brunswick, Essendon, Coburg, etc it was very common to have properties appear in searches that had prices well above the maximum.

I just did a search of Brunswick houses with a max price of $550k. Of the 3 properties, all had ranges starting well above this figure including one advertising a private sale of $700,000. I would guess that all 3 properties will sell for more than $650k.

Even though you only need one buyer for a home, most agents want maximum exposure, which is good for their business and will usually end up with the property being sold but it certainly isn't the most ethical way to operate.

I can understand that agents want to drive enquiry but it seems crazy when a $2.1m property won't appear in searches for $2m+ (if the agent has put $1.75m in the back end).

While I'm sure there are buyers that miss properties for this reason, I think most people are more likely to put a strict maximum limit on the search (based on what they can afford) than a strict minimum (who wouldn't want to pay less than their budget?).
e.g. If someone has $2m to spend on a home in Hawthorn VIC, they will probably put a maximum of $2m and maybe a minimum of $1m to reduce the number of properties that come up but they probably wouldn't set the minimum as $1.75m, as they think it might be possible that they find a cheaper property they like.

There are often only 1 or 2 bidders at an auction but to improve the chances of an auction being successful, agents really rely on there being lots of other people there. It helps to give the impression that the property is desirable, lots of people are interested in the property and it creates anxiety in the genuine buyers mind, as they know that any one of the dozens of people could outbid them at the last second.

There is lots of interesting research about online auctions and some of the theories apply to property auctions.

http://insight.kellogg.northwestern.edu/article/place_your_bids/

People are naturally competitive and want to win. It can be difficult to accept that you missed out on your dream home because you didn't bid an extra couple of thousand.

If I'm searching for property on REA, I will usually use the map instead of the list. This negates the premium/featured ads to keep their property at/near the top of the list (which vendors are convinced to pay thousands of dollars for).

I don't have any data on the search criteria people use but the general real estate logic that I was exposed to was "the lower the back end price, the more searches it will appear in and the more people are likely to see it". It will depend on the suburb and the agents but in Brunswick, Essendon, Coburg, etc it was very common to have properties appear in searches that had prices well above the maximum.

I just did a search of Brunswick houses with a max price of $550k. Of the 3 properties, all had ranges starting well above this figure including one advertising a private sale of $700,000. I would guess that all 3 properties will sell for more than $650k.

Even though you only need one buyer for a home, most agents want maximum exposure, which is good for their business and will usually end up with the property being sold but it certainly isn't the most ethical way to operate.

I can understand that agents want to drive enquiry but it seems crazy when a $2.1m property won't appear in searches for $2m+ (if the agent has put $1.75m in the back end).

While I'm sure there are buyers that miss properties for this reason, I think most people are more likely to put a strict maximum limit on the search (based on what they can afford) than a strict minimum (who wouldn't want to pay less than their budget?).
e.g. If someone has $2m to spend on a home in Hawthorn VIC, they will probably put a maximum of $2m and maybe a minimum of $1m to reduce the number of properties that come up but they probably wouldn't set the minimum as $1.75m, as they think it might be possible that they find a cheaper property they like.

There are often only 1 or 2 bidders at an auction but to improve the chances of an auction being successful, agents really rely on there being lots of other people there. It helps to give the impression that the property is desirable, lots of people are interested in the property and it creates anxiety in the genuine buyers mind, as they know that any one of the dozens of people could outbid them at the last second.

There is lots of interesting research about online auctions and some of the theories apply to property auctions.

http://insight.kellogg.northwestern.edu/article/place_your_bids/

People are naturally competitive and want to win. It can be difficult to accept that you missed out on your dream home because you didn't bid an extra couple of thousand.

If I'm searching for property on REA, I will usually use the map instead of the list. This negates the premium/featured ads to keep their property at/near the top of the list (which vendors are convinced to pay thousands of dollars for).

Apparently realestate.com.au used to have ,wider ranges available to be used as an input , but this lead to a greater abuse of the system so it was tightened up , so , as we saw in the input field earlier in the thread , you can only put in one figure . I assume this needs to be placed at number at the boundary of two search fields so it straddled by your target price , but at the lower range .

We have our PPOR for sale at the moment , and had what we considered a cheeky low ball offer with a comment " we're not into negotiation , we're making one offer and one only " . It was well below ( about 20 % below) what all our research indicated so we said no thanks . I was tempted to say something else ... but we rejected it politely ( not on the market that long ) however that night I was doing some further searching and stumbled on the fact that our property only came up on searches below the price offered , so it is possible that they priced the offer at that price because they thought it was at the upper level of our expectations ...

I can't complain about people low balling us as it's something I do , but the narrow search parameter issues wasn't something that I was aware of .

Obviously you can put a different price in the text which is different so you can cover all avenues .

Cliff

I spoke to an agent on the weekend at an open. Went something like this:

Me: "Price expectation?"
Agent 1: "Mid $500s."
Me: "Come now, really?"
Agent 2 (interjecting): "When we say a price, we're not like other agents. We mean it will sell for that. We don't underquote. We are realistic"
Me: "This is going to go in the $600s."
Agent 1: "Well it's hard to say with the market at the moment."
Me: "Did you see <comparable sale from 5 days prior>?"
Agent 1: "Yes".
Me: "So you can't tell me mid $500s for this."
Agent 1: "Well the vendor will be happy with anything over $600 but if I said $600+, no one would be here."

This actually happened, out loud, in the middle of a very busy open.

The most ridiculous example of under quoting I've seen recently was this house

Asked the agent ( one of the few I don't know in the area ) what expectations were and he said above 1.5 . Knowing the market , similar to richard , I said , " no seriously , what do you expect it to go for ? " He wouldn't retreat from his original position . Went to auction and was passed in ? with no bid , and then went on the market for offers over 1.9 and sold for 1.95 ...

Obviously the owners and the market expectations weren't in line with what the agent was quoting .

Would they have had a better reaction if they quoted a realistic price range ? Who knows , but at 1.5 I was thinking , wow , that's a bargain ....

Cliff

Here we go. Finally you found an honest agent ;)

I find if I know the agent , I can get the correct info from them , but there seems to be a widespread collusion / acceptance from agents and a large segment of buyers that the agents under quote .

Any vendor who doesn't understand this and accept it needs to be wary .

Set your price , so on searches , it brings up your actual target range , but also the range below .

Cliff

Not saying agents are not dishonest but if everyone tells them lies then they are only passing on the lies.

I have heard from people and I have done it myself talking down the property and telling the agent it would be lucky to get 600k (or whatever) I wouldn't pay anymore than 550k for it.

Now depending on an agent might send through comparable sales to help me (don't need their help but happy for them to share their hand) other agents would be like yup this guy doesn't know what the property is worth and the agent wont give me the service they want.

Next time you are inspecting ask the price then place another 15% more than what the agent has said and I'm sure they will say 'we can always to put it to the vendor for them to review'.

Buyers want the lowest price and will lie and manipulate to get a lower price.
Vendors want the highest price and will lie and manipulate to get the highest price.
REA want to get the highest price (if they are worth something) but with everyone telling lies how are they meant to tell the truth?

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-wheelers+hill-117741471

I sent off an email last friday about what sort of price is being expected or quoted.

I got two emails this morning almost at the same time, from both agents,

Agent 1: we are expecting 1.2m+
Agent 2: we are expecting 800k+ , pls come and inspect

WTF!!!!from the same agency and agents as well

Interpretation
Agent 1 is giving you realistic expectations

Agent 2 wants lots of people there regardless of their ability to buy at the expected price to create hype

Cliff

You would identify quick smart with these "geniuses" and make up your mind on their sales abilities,that why I love the real estate industry,every year all you have to do within any real estate business model is sack all the losers that don't sell,keep all the ones that can sell and close the deal and end up with a steady team of winners,apart from the sacked ones that end up working for a fast food chain..

That is why you do your own due diligence, 2 mins on the sold section of realestate.com.au and found two properties near the prices mentioned.

1.3M for http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-wheelers+hill-117270463

805k for http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-wheelers+hill-116836311

Median house price in Wheelers Hill is 800k and clearly the house linked before would be one of the better houses.

If people can't spend 2 minutes before purchasing something worth 800k or more then they deserve what they get.

Interpretation
Agent 1 is giving you realistic expectations

Agent 2 wants lots of people there regardless of their ability to buy at the expected price to create hype

Cliff

Exactly my opinions,

however, it might be good to get some consisntency, as anyone who receives both emails at the same time would not give them any credibility

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-wheelers+hill-117741471

I sent off an email last friday about what sort of price is being expected or quoted.

thats gold...

Ask them what price estimate they wrote on the agency agreement, I bet they wont tell you.

Back